Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dunklenator (Poor Man's Z8 Project)

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Good progress.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    z3
    So, not a whole lot to report recently...

DME and EWS are here, but I haven't even had time to install them. My shop was closed to customer work for September to give me plenty of time to work and fully focus on this swap, but last week I had a customer bring his car back due to suspected issues from a clutch install I did just prior to starting the swap. It ended up not being a clutch issue (thankfully) but it did slow me down quite a lot having to spend time diagnosing it and replacing other parts that were faulty...

Trying to get back on top of things now though I also got in my little auxiliary 4 fuse box - though annoyingly my tool from FCP just shipped out yesterday, which I need in order to finalize the adapter harness

Have also spent a good amount of time recently double checking all my wiring and comparing to the way it's routed from the factory and etc... it seems to all be correct but at the same time, I am not an expert on this stuff but I am trying to be extra careful in ensuring all my routing "makes sense" to begin with and also matches what the N62 DME/IVM will be expecting to see

A fair bit nervous to be perfectly honest - if everything is wired correctly as far as I see it, but it doesn't start, then I don't have anywhere to turn to or anyone to ask for help really, as this swap is undocumented and N62 knowledge is so sparse...
    But, I am going to shove that concern back deep into the recesses of my mind and get back to working on the swap over the weekend to get hopefully everything prepared minus what I need that tool from FCP for... then when that tool arrives I think I can finish it all up and go for my first attempted start

Of course, if it does work... it'll be a freaking party and I'll be super eager to get the rest of the stuff all done. Haven't paid for any fabrication yet either at this point. With the impending cost of this fab work, I am giving a lot of thought to just buying a welder and trying to pick it up myself. I'll think about it more and make a decision once I am at that stage. Obviously still a successful start away from really giving that any deep consideration

Quote Originally Posted by ProductUser View Post
    Do you have a the symbolic electric guitar riffs and drums playing in the background during your build(similar to what's heard on Motortrend tv)?
    Something like that Usually just EDM remixes of Biggie... it's good background music
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    Good progress.
    Up until recently yes! Haha
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-02-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    z3
    Ends up that auxillary fusebox I bought fits in the Z3 DME box with no modification

Re-did the fusebox and adapter harness as well... the fans will be on their own setup (although I need another switched power source for one of the fans now, so I will have to see where to source that)

Much neater than the previous version The main reason I wanted to redo the fusebox portion is that when I was drawing out the wiring diagrams I decided to change where it got the constant power supply from and this new design reflects that change. Also, I wasn't really planning on doing this before a first test start, but when I noticed it fit the DME box I was like ooh thats cool

I ended up having to order more pins as well, some of the same ones I already had but with a larger base to accept a thicker wire. I also found the other pins for the IVM power terminals I needed - so I can now run complete wires with crimped ends without any splices anywhere

Next major step will be getting everything wired up and the DME installed then see if I can communicate with the DME via INPA. That is why the fusebox wires have no harness plugs for now - until the tool gets here I need to leave the terminals loose so I can plug them into their various spots. The pins I just ordered are for the starter supply - so I won't be able to start it until those get here, but I should be able to communicate with the DME in the meantime. Really hoping to get everything done for that tomorrow and potentially plug it in and give it a shot

I also need to wire in the pedal wires! I keep forgetting about those pesky things...
    Trying to get back on track and continue to make some forward progress every day
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-10-2020 at 03:30 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    I'm more of a Big Pun fan, but Biggie is right up there I'm looking forward to seeing your Dunklenator in-person one of these days.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    z3
    A small victory today, but a victory none the less... went ahead and mocked everything up now that the wiring is almost done (how many times have I said that? haha) - just waiting on a few pins for the starter circuit and then the electronic pedal wires to finish it all up.

Had to install the whole engine harness, as there are some wires in the harness that run between DME and the IVM.

And my small victory...

You can communicate to a DME with very little actually working correctly, but it was very nice being able to connect to the N62 DME via the Z3 OBD2 port. The DME is tuned for my setup as well as virginized, which is something this particular DME needs done in order to be installed on a new chassis. Big thanks to my tuner I also installed the EWS and will align the DME and EWS tomorrow and hopefully get the engine installed as well, that way I will be ready for a test start as soon as those last pins get here...

Tonight I will also look at the electronic pedal wiring and I plan on doing that tomorrow as well. I should have everything needed to finish the pedal wiring already on hand. I've just been debating between whether to use the Z3 M54/S54 style electronic pedal or install an E46 style pedal. I think in the end it will be much easier to go with the E46 pedal so that is what I will do for now. The Z3 pedal uses a different harness with different pins so I will cut the wires a little long in case I decide to convert to the Z3 style down the road

So hopefully some good stuff happening soon!

Quote Originally Posted by ProductUser View Post
    I'm more of a Big Pun fan, but Biggie is right up there I'm looking forward to seeing your Dunklenator in-person one of these days.
    Anytime - though it'll be a lot more interesting to look at when it's closer to being finished
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-10-2020 at 03:30 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Awesome!
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.

My Cars
    z3
    Thanks

Got the pedal wiring done today, at least all wired up on the DME side - just need to run it through the firewall and crimp on the pins once in place

Very disappointed with FCP to be honest. With the depinning tool I also ordered 4 struts for my E39 wagon - 2 for the hatch glass, 2 for the hatch. The box was missing one of the hatch ones (which were pretty expensive!). The depinning tool did not have the protective "cage" clipped into the proper position, so it was not protecting the tip and the tip was bent on arrival! I bent it back straight and flipped the tip around so I could use it a bit in the meantime but super disappointing. I will e-mail them and see what they can do for me... was able to use it enough to move the couple pins I needed to use... and now the adapter harness bit is fully attached but still

Come to think of it, at this point, all the wiring in the DME box area should be done! So at least that is a win...

With that done I can now focus on getting the engine installed in place to go for a test start

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Excellent progress - very impressed!

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    Good job and a good idea with virginizing the DME! It would have worked even with EWS3 or more likely EWS4.3, but you would have been unable to diagnose the EWS later, every transponder programming would have been quite problematic. This way you also keep the ability to order new keys from the dealership.

I only have one question regarding this EWS thing. I suppose you have the newer EWS3D, do you? If so, then it should be possible to match DME to EWS. If not and you have the older EWS2, there will be a problem.

EDIT: Oh, I see! The previous engine was M52TU. If the car came with this engine from the factory, then you definitely have EWS3D. Then you are safe. Diagnosable, programmable, everything fine.
    Last edited by Fx323i; 10-08-2020 at 06:31 AM.
    Martin Voigts
    BMW cars indy and locksmith
    1997 E36 318iS Sierrarot
    2012 Ford Mondeo

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    FCP will replace these for you no problem - guaranteed. I have nothing but good experiences with those guys, even when they screw up, they make it right.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    Excellent progress - very impressed!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx323i View Post
    Good job and a good idea with virginizing the DME! It would have worked even with EWS3 or more likely EWS4.3, but you would have been unable to diagnose the EWS later, every transponder programming would have been quite problematic. This way you also keep the ability to order new keys from the dealership.

I only have one question regarding this EWS thing. I suppose you have the newer EWS3D, do you? If so, then it should be possible to match DME to EWS. If not and you have the older EWS2, there will be a problem.

EDIT: Oh, I see! The previous engine was M52TU. If the car came with this engine from the factory, then you definitely have EWS3D. Then you are safe. Diagnosable, programmable, everything fine.
    Yes, M52TU engine with EWS3D
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    FCP will replace these for you no problem - guaranteed. I have nothing but good experiences with those guys, even when they screw up, they make it right.
    I still use FCP a lot, but I have had mixed results with their return program tbh. I haven't received any response from them yet... will try again today

Got the starter wired up...

And installed behind the exhaust, behind it's heat shield

Engine re-installed. Transmission is bolted in at this point

Engine wiring harness plugged in to DME, Valvetronic and IVM

Succesful (and mostly meaningless) communication

Not sure what the "status clutch: on" means here, as there is no clutch position switch wired in currently

MAF is not plugged in, but it's at least reading the coolant temp and etc

Valvetronic data

EWS/DME alignment menu... will need to access this page for the attempted first start coming soon!

Was happy to see some data from the camshaft sensors as well, even if the engine is not running, since I had to swap one of the camshaft sensors to the other style

Today I am going to spend some time verifying all the wiring... triple checking all my work... and will be ready for a test start possibly Monday? I take Sundays off (gotta watch my AZ Cardinals disappoint me) and won't have time to get to it today. I'll pencil it in for early next week. I am trying to take my time but still move quickly

I also received my gauge cluster today... nothing to see really... but if everything ends up working out, it will be sent back for a cool custom gauge face!
    I will install the gauge cluster later today as well

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    z3
    I has electronic pedal

Gauge cluster is installed too!

Currently at home researching and verifying my wiring changes... trying to make sure there is nothing I missed before attempting a first start
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-10-2020 at 08:01 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    You're a mad, manic genius, I can't believe the amount of progress you've made since your first post on Sept 1. Do take Sunday off, relax.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    E36 x3
    Most important question of the entire build... What fabric combination are you going for with the interior?

Awesome job on the progress!

WTB
    : 94 325is M-Technic

-----> Pm me if you have or know of one. <-----

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    You're a mad, manic genius, I can't believe the amount of progress you've made since your first post on Sept 1. Do take Sunday off, relax.
    Thanks haha. Its only meaningful work if it actually starts though haha

But no matter what happens, the real N62 swap is the friends we make along the way
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonStatus View Post
    Most important question of the entire build... What fabric combination are you going for with the interior?

Awesome job on the progress!
    Depends on the exterior color but I have given it some thought...

If it is British Racing Green, I will emulate the E36 M3 GT2 interior (https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/u...6-M3-GT-27.jpg)
    If I go Daytona Violet - I will have a custom M Texture made, with three shades of purple instead of the M Tricolor pattern

Long way to go before I get there though!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    I'd vote for the green - it's awesome, and I've always like British Racing Green for exteriors.

Hey, it's Sunday. You should be drinking beer and watching a game...
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    I'd vote for the green - it's awesome, and I've always like British Racing Green for exteriors.

Hey, it's Sunday. You should be drinking beer and watching a game...
    It was a morning game - too early too drink. Luckily I didn't need to anyways as we actually won... (pretty meaningless win all things considered but hey)

I went to the shop for just a little bit, documented the wiring on the car and came home and triple checked everything I wasn't 100% on. Everything seems good... have a few extraneous wires I will be removing (for SAP/DMTL which is currently disabled)
    I even "mocked up" the wiring changes on paper - printing out a page of the Z3 wiring, following my notes and making all indicated changes, then comparing the results to what the X5 DME is expecting to see. Everything checked out by doing it that way, did it twice just to make sure lol.

Don't think there is any more avoiding it... I can only keep checking my wiring so many times before it's time to put it to a real test! Alright. Time to attempt a first start. Coming soon... tomorrow, possibly?

Oh, also... found an M roadster locally for a good deal. May be able to work out a trade so I don't have to put any cash out for it either! It's a car I've been after for awhile (actually over a year) - but it recently got hit in a parking lot. Looks like very minor damage, I will buy it to fix up and enjoy while I finish the swap. Luckily I already have the parts on hand to fix it

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    startup would be the bees knees...I'm holding out for the burnout vid

My Cars
    z3
    No start

I may go back to diagnose later tonight after doing some research... I skipped lunch today so Im home now for an early dinner. My lovely girlfriend closes tonight so I have all night to do as I please. Which, you know, means researching this and more diagnosing later...

Not a total loss as the EWS stuff did work which is great. That was confirmed working as I saw 12v at the starter output line. I was initially really disappointed but tbh, that alone is a pretty big win. So big thanks to Abel for that!!

So quick rundown of what did happen as the starter did click at one point,
    Initially I went to crank, nothing
    Measured the EWS starter signal line - saw 12v when cranking
    This starter line is supposed to run through IVM - I bypassed the IVM and ran the wire with 12v when cranking directly to the starter, at this point the starter clicked
    Maybe low battery? Brought my jumpstarter over - the single click was much louder, but still a single click...

Im gonna double check any silly stuff - install a better grounding cable, give power to the fusebox (IVM takes its switched power from the chassis, so maybe its not receiving power at one terminal and unpowering a circuit?) and spend some time now going over the wiring diagrams for the starter. I also have the starter line running into IVM as it "should" be for now (though I did make an adapter harness I can install inline so I could easily switch between the two)
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-12-2020 at 08:14 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Also the lack of ews manipulation protection codes actually means the dme is talking correctly to ews and are paired fine.

(FWIW a mismatched dme to ews would still spin the starter, but no ignition. Key to ews mismatch causes no actuation of starter)
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    z3
    Well, I fixed part of it... Still no crank, but now the starter clicks with the starter signal line routed through IVM

Getting closer but still no dice. Havent ruled out a faulty starter either

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    One of the basic things to check as you were focused on the engine loom. Do you have a good and working engine ground?
    Martin Voigts
    1997 E36 318iS Sierrarot
    2012 Ford Mondeo

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx323i View Post
    One of the basic things to check as you were focused on the engine loom. Do you have a good and working engine ground?
    Yes that is good thinking. I had a short cable run to ground the engine and tried again with large gauge jumper cables to ground it while I was there earlier. Not sure the effectiveness of the jumper cables to ground it though. Im also wondering if I should try a larger size battery... Maybe even with a jumpstarter pack the smaller size for Z3 is not enough cranking amps for the N62

Tomorrow I will run a better grounding cable and try again

I also noticed awhile ago that trans has a grounding cable of its own. I will also ground that too (as starter bolts into trans, maybe this is more critical than I originally thought)

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    I guess it should not be so much of a problem but it is a good start. As you said, you tested that the starter gets power from the IVM. Did you also measure the voltage there when in start position?

I also have read about the previous process when you tried to run a separate wire to the starter. Did you try to put direct 12V on it to see if it will crank? As you tried the separate wire before, it is not very likely but IVMs tend to have cold solder issues on its own power supply connection inside. If you have a used IVM, this is what I would check, too.

For a test, you can try to run the jumpstart wire directly from the starter body to the ground, too.
    Last edited by Fx323i; 10-13-2020 at 01:54 AM.
    Martin Voigts
    1997 E36 318iS Sierrarot
    2012 Ford Mondeo

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Engine ground strap?

Edit: Oops didn't see that it's grounded. But if the engine is grounded and you can't get it to crank with a direct positive jump to the starter: the starter is bad (or the solenoid).
    Last edited by cyberman; 10-13-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast