Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dunklenator (Poor Man's Z8 Project)

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    "For being the first exhaust I've ever done, I am quite proud of it" Yes your welding skills have sure improved from what I first saw! That looks pretty darn good.

My Cars
    z3
    Thanks zella and Pete

And fmcfad1 and Keyscoupe, you are correct regarding the double walled headers. BMW started using double walled headers in the late 90s with the goal of increasing heat retention so the engine and catalytic converters remained closer to operating temperature in between warm starts for emissions reasons. You can see the inner and outer layers below

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    I like your welding floppies. If you move your feet fast enough the sparks don't burn much...don't ask me how I know this...

My Cars
    z3
    Haha, my OHSA approved sandals... honestly, the welding slag doesn't bother me at all. The grinding sparks annoy me a lot more than the occasional splatter. I've also been noticing the weld splatter leaves a cool pattern on my sandals

Been helping Victor the past week with installing a huge rolling gate at a local storage facility and went up north to work on a cabin under construction. Earlier today I picked up the last pieces I needed from the local dealer and I plan on getting back to it later this week. Really hoping the next time the engine goes in is the last time...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    According to the Wizard of OZ, the only thing safety shoes have that yours don't have is a patch.

Green Patch Saftey Sandals.jpg

We have in Canada too. Saaaaaaame, SAME!

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    20 days and no reports. What's going on?
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Probably kept busy by some hooptie or something
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    20 days and no reports. What's going on?

I had to pause the project, it was time for cake

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    That's a puzzlement (and btw, my mom thought this guy was hot):

Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    z3
    I guess to answer the question seriously, I haven't even touched the car since my last update simply because other things have been taking up all my time; including finishing some other long term projects at my shop to try to start off next year with a clean slate. I also beat myself up about the swap a lot, I can't really explain it but it feels like at this point it won't even be an accomplishment once it is finished because it's taken so long... in fact it feels the opposite a lot of the times, I feel embarrassed it's taking so long and I feel like there are more people hoping I fail than wanting me to succeed, which is something that wears on my mental state. I could have found time to work on it here or there but I decided to just take a little time away from it. I also don't think it helps that I work alone but I have a lot of difficulty accepting help when offered

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    I've had nothing but admiration of your work. The fact that it has taken so long is all the more impressive and shows your commitment to doing a quality job. I can totally understand you needing a little time off from such an ambitious project. I hope that your passion for it returns but if it does not, there is no shame in quitting if that's what you need to do. 'wishing you all the best.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Projects have to be fun and like anything else you do you can get tired. That's when you need to take a break, it will be there when you come back all refreshed and ready to do the last lap. Many times I have let my third stall just sit for a while, but when I did come back it was once again enjoyable. Hang in there, you will get it when you get it!

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    I don't think its difficulty accepting help. At least for me - it knowing that things are done they way only I can do them - right, clean, methodical, and difficulty accepting any other way.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    I don't think this has taken long at all. There are other 'projects' on here that have been going for years and are no more than a lumpy mess.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    I don't think this has taken long at all. There are other 'projects' on here that have been going for years and are no more than a lumpy mess.
    No joke!
    Yours runs and is nearly complete.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E46 M3, E28, E38s, E46
    Here is my fox mustang. I have owned it since 2006 and haven't driven it since 2007. I have moved it (3) times since then and it now sits in my shop taking up space because it is a labor of love. I literally have not turned a wrench on it since before you started this project and that's just how it is sometimes. If you are planning to keep the Z3 when its done then I wouldn't sweat the timeline at all, you'll get it done when its time and then you'll get to enjoy it.

Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon)

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

My Cars
    z3
    Thanks guys. I found some time to work on it today. Going to try to get it to where I can test drive it ASAP then work out any remaining kinks from there. The shifter carrier I worked on broke (again), I had it installed but when I shifted a few times really aggressively to test it, it broke... so I'm going for a more bulletproof method I thought of but didn't think I'd have to resort to. It currently has some epoxy curing on it as the first layer of the repair...

Was very happy to see the exhaust fit well, I was a bit worried it would interfere with the heat shield for the fuel filter as I didn't really account for that when measuring for the exhaust but it ended up not being an issue

There is also a new Uro lower oil pan installed, I had to be very delicate getting the engine in place to not bang it up. Previously there had been a small oil leak from the engine which the new lower pan and an oil change seems to have sorted out. I'm not sure if the oil filter was a tad loose or the old pan was deformed from getting banged up going in and out but I'm happy its not leaking now (knock on wood)

The center of gravity of the midpipe is basically where the jack is here, the front of the resonators towards the x-pipe. I will place an exhaust hanger here and that will be it for the exhaust at least for the test drive

I'll be back there tonight and I'll work on the cooling hoses between engine and radiator and installing the pulleys and belts - after that, once the shifter carrier is done the transmission will have to be lowered to install the shift linkage and at that time I will also install the driveshaft. In theory that will put me on the doorstep of a test drive though I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Looks fantastic!

My Cars
    '01 Z8,'02 M5,'99 Z3MR
    Good luck! Have been eager to see you get this beast running!

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Looks factory
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I guess to answer the question seriously, I haven't even touched the car since my last update simply because other things have been taking up all my time; including finishing some other long term projects at my shop to try to start off next year with a clean slate. I also beat myself up about the swap a lot, I can't really explain it but it feels like at this point it won't even be an accomplishment once it is finished because it's taken so long... in fact it feels the opposite a lot of the times, I feel embarrassed it's taking so long and I feel like there are more people hoping I fail than wanting me to succeed, which is something that wears on my mental state. I could have found time to work on it here or there but I decided to just take a little time away from it. I also don't think it helps that I work alone but I have a lot of difficulty accepting help when offered
    I gotta add to the admiration column. In the 80s I built a 68 Mustang, every part of it. Took about 2 years, and that was just a rebuild. Your project is inspiring to many, and I would guess a lot of people are pulling for you. I am. I can claim to have seen it when it seemed impossible, and now look at it. I am in awe, as anyone who has ever tackled a job like that would be. Those that are not in awe are simply missing something.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Thanks guys. ...... In theory that will put me on the doorstep of a test drive though I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things...
    I know when I get close to the end of a big project, that's when my patience is is really tested. Take your time. Enjoy the journey (we are all enjoying it and living vicariously through your dedication to excellence) Slow and steady really does win the race. Whether it's next week, next month or next year, I will be thrilled to see the finished product!

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    Glad to see you are back at this most interesting project. Hopefully with the break in working on this, you are now approaching with a refreshed energy and enthusiasm. Looking forward to hearing about your first test drive. Hope it is all you thought it would be. Lots of folks here cheering you on.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello
    '01 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0 manual 5sp
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Just think about being plastered back in your seat when accelerating, that ought to give you the incentive to keep on keeping on! I have enjoyed following along with you on this project.

My Cars
    z3

Cooling system is done, just needs to be filled and pressure tested then bled
    Shift linkage is done, eventually going to modify the shifter a bit as it's slightly to the right, but at least it's centered to the hole
    I did put on a differnent spare front clip I had, which is not painted black... it had the aux fan and condensor already installed so it just made it easier to not have to mess around with customizing those. Which did mean ditching the dual intake for the test drive. Thats ok because exhaust wont be finished either
    Only real holdup at this point is the slave isn't installed. Caught the hardline on the way in and it bent it a bit, now the slave is sitting at a weird angle. Gonna remove it and run a short length of flex line between the slave and hardline

If I can get the slave in and bled, then in theory (knock on wood) I am only a final bolt check away from sending this hooptie flying

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast