Thread: Bluetooth Volume Issue on Brand New 2020 230i

My Cars
    2020 BMW 230i

Bluetooth Volume Issue on Brand New 2020 230i

I've read many posts of many people having the same issues across many devices (Android, iOS). I have done all the troubleshooting by repairing multiple times. My iDrive's Tone section only has a Navigation volume and Telephone (only active when on a phone call for mic and speaker volume) so nothing specific to Bluetooth.

I usually only have to have my volume at 25% to get pretty decent sound from the builtin in SiriusXM. If I then switch to my cellphone (SiriuxXM app, Google Play Music, other streams), even if I set my phone's media (or ALL volume settings to MAX) I can't actually hear anything. I have to crank the volume on the car to at least 60% to hear it. Then if I switch back, bam scared of blowing my speakers as it's so loud.

For a brand new, custom ordered 2020 BMW, I would think Bluetooth would be the most basic of features in this car and it's crap. I'm going to buy a USB cable to see if that's better but really don't want to have to now have to have a wire hanging down from my phone vent holder. My phone has never had to go over 50% volume to my Bluetooth speakers to get good sound.

UPDATE: USB doesn't work either. I only have 1 in the centre console and my phone detects the car but the car won't connect (says USB incompatible) with 3 different cables.
    Last edited by luvsql; 08-31-2019 at 10:29 AM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved to model specific area.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Is the volume control on your phone set to max? When sending music to the car’s audio system via Bluetooth you can change the volume both at the head unit and at the phone.

My Cars
    2020 BMW 230i
    Yes it's set to max on my phone and have a lowish volume in the car. When I connect my phone to my Sony Bluetooth speaker I never have to have my phone volume more than 50% as that's pretty loud. Also, when switching back to another device the volume is SO loud in the car that I'm worried about blowing the speakers.

Why is the Bluetooth so low? I rented a Nissan in June and never had any issues with that car and my phone.

I also tried using the USB and it shows USB not compatible (tried 3 cables). So basically brand new $50k car and can't play my own music.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The USB won’t work? Take it back to the dealer. The USB in my car works fine. Same for the Bluetooth-the volume is fine. I bet that there’s a software fix for the USB issue. And while the tech is in there perhaps he can up the Bluetooth volume.

My Cars
    2020 BMW 230i
    I took it back today but no word back. This is what the salesperson is now saying: "The USB connector can only charge your phone. If you have an external USB stick with music in it you can play music through that as well." Wow. I have to put my music onto a USB stick instead of playing music from my cellphone AND I guess that means no Spotify, Slacker, Google Play Music or Amazon Music that I want to be able to play too. My old car has an aux jack which was perfect for music. NO USB drivers, no worry about software. Yes, BMW decided to remove that feature in 2018 I guess because Apple removed their aux jack from all their iPhones.

I am so incredible disappointed in this car.

My Cars
    2020 BMW 230i
    Service tested multiple devices with the Bluetooth, same issue, but they won't acknowledge it as an issue. You just have to set your phone to MAX and really crank up the volume on BMW and just hope you remember to turn it down before switching.

As for the USB it only supports Charge Only or File Transfer so it only works as an external drive and not with MIDI as I've used with others (so no Spotify, no Sirius etc through USB like other cars and PCs can). When I set my phone to File Transfer, it immediately starts playing my phones' ringtones, which you can't stop, and it won't browse Artists etc, so basically it doesn't work. The tech had the same phone and he was able to browse his phone's music, but then when he connected a second time, it started playing his phone's ringtones and wouldn't stop. Not sure how to fix that issue either.

So, either half volume Bluetooth music (with the lovely phone notifications unless you turn them all off) and copying all my music to an external USB and plugging it into the car. Disappointing.

My Cars
    2020 BMW 230i
    I was given an Audi A4 as a rental car for a few days. Same phone. Connected it to Bluetooth and did not have to TOUCH the volume on my phone. The volume was normal in the Audi (ie pretty loud at my lowish phone volume). This is clearly an issue with BMW.

My Cars
    535is, 525i, 540iT,650ic
    Terrible fail on the part of BMW. They screwed up the software and the integration. Huge fail. Keep complaining about it and Lemmon let the SOB. If you were in TX, I have the perfect attorney for that. Complain take it in and document. Hey BMW NA customer support involved as well. It can be made right by BMW, but will take effort on your part. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 Tesla ModelX
    To play music in the car, I usually download and convert songs into MP3 format and store them in USB , and then connect them to the device in the car. This is also more convenient.

My Cars
    1998 Tesla ModelX
    To play music in the car, I usually download and convert songs into MP3 format and store them in USB by using TuneSolo Spotify Music Converter, and then connect them to the device in the car. This is also more convenient.
    Last edited by Anber; 08-15-2023 at 02:38 AM. Reason: something typing wrong