Thread: Throttle actuator fault !

My Cars
    m3

Throttle actuator fault !

Car got a throttle actuator fault driving down the highway. Went into limp.mode. I erased the fault now car feels down on power in M mode or not feels down 50 or so horsepower. Could it be actuator jumped a tooth??
    95 M3 stock
    2002 gtp 7psi
    97 328 stock
    1972 Mach1 boosted

My Cars
    2001 740il
    If you posted the codes, you would get more responses. Fyi

My Cars
    Just replace it and be done. It wouldn't have set a fault if there wasn't something wrong with it.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Just replace it and be done. It wouldn't have set a fault if there wasn't something wrong with it.
    For one thing, the sensors on the throttle actuators should catch any minute difference in throttle position. I really doubt you could get around on a jumped tooth and get out of limp mode. Then, it is a well known fact that the oem plastic used on the teeth was weak and would wear out fast. That's why there are so many offers on hardened plastic wheels. Then, there's the electric component: more than a few have spent a pretty time taking out the actuators to replace the wheels, only to find after replacing them out the electronics in it were also fried. My humble $0.02: Mpower Motorsport rebuilt bodies... cheaper by the pair than a factory new one, lifetime warranty on wheel end electronics. And the service and advise is worth a lot.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    We have had the linkages that were dry and squeaking, lubed them then it was ok

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Electro-mechanical components... so many parts doing something seemingly simple as opening a throttle body...

The actuator arms are somewhat scary to remove, then the S N A P !! that you get when you put them back in brings a little bit of reassurance. I used white lithium grease in mine to avoid freezing up. Has anybody tried anti-seize compound?

I'm still looking into the possibility of getting rid of the big airboxes and running straight stacks. I know it's been done, there are YouTube videos, but on standing engines, no clue if the cars ever made it to the street or to a racetrack.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 850ci
    How do you lube them, with what ? Spray WD40 to clean them, and just grease ? I checked all the linkages on mine, and they look squeaky clean and bone dry, don't see any past instances of lubrication (they would have a ton of dirt collected on them).
    For my issues:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ttle-actuators