Thread: Transmission advice

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3

Transmission advice

Looking for some transmission advice.....

Background on car:
    2004 e46 m3
    6766 precision turbo
    Tuned on e85
    Roughly 600 horse/640 lbs torque
    6 speed manual getrag 420

I ended up putting a clutchmasters fx850 like 3 weeks ago in it.

The stock getrag 420 was the next to go. 3rd gear synchro shot. Lots of flakes when we drained the fluid. As many of you prob know, the getrags are put together under certain heat specs so they are impossible to find parts for. Nobody will crack one open and try to fix them.

Here are my options as I see them-

Find a used getrag 6 speed.
    Pros- cheapest option, can use my new clutch
    Cons- same thing will happen sooner or later

Find a used ZF 6 speed.
    Pros- allegedly holds up a little better, less abused, driven with less hp prior
    Cons- can’t use new clutch/flywheel
    Same thing will still prob happen sooner or later

Find a used SMG and convert it to manual
    Pros- should be less beat up, can use current clutch
    Cons- same thing will prob happen sooner or later

Samsonas dog box
    Pros- bad ass. Fast. Can handle the power.
    Cons- $7k for gearset alone, would need to find different core, different clutch, can’t afford it, wife would divorce me

Call me crazy option.....

Th400 auto swap
    Found a guy that has the adaptor kit to bolt it up to S54.
    Pros- bullet proof, cheaper to fix, will leave room for more power, fastest option on the strip, can sell clutch to offset some costs
    Cons- going from a 6 spd to an auto, not as daily driver friendly, would need some fab work, would need driveshaft and torque converter, also kind of against code to be putting gm tranny in a bimmer. Karma.

If I’m missing any options, please fill me in. I’ve been scouring the internet the last week. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    I don't see a reason not to use another 420G, they are very stoutly built transmissions and are used in many drag cars. They are also used in a lot of really high power MK4 supras. That's why I am running one in my E32 currently.
    New Daily:
    2011 Audi A6 Avant 3.0T prestige. 1 of 368

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Fresh 72k mile engine with all new seals. True E34 Manual Trans Engine Harness. 6spd Transmission Swap, Getrag 420G. RHD LW Single Mass Flywheel. E39 M5 Clutch. E39 M5 Shifter. Factory Car Phone. Factory 6CD Changer. Factory Electric Sunshade. Not So Factory Factory Electric/Heated Rear Seats. E38 Heater Valves. E43 M5 calipers/brakes

Sold:
    1996 Oldsmobile Aurora; 194k miles but with a bad paint job and dented fender resulting in a payout to buy the 740i

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    As time passes, you may have to take the first available trans you can find. Respect to Yukon101's opinion above. Just because you blew your trans, doesn't mean the next one will go the same way.

Two of your options have you re-using your clutch, and one has you selling it. Your somewhat-new clutch is an asset rather than a liability.

As for your wife's opinions, well, you brought that on yourself when you boosted the engine then blew the trans. Pay the piper, but keep her onboard.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    For Samsonas, will be haply to give info and pricing. The H Pattern with case, shifter, adapter plate, input shaft is $7,600 in total (shipping from Charlotte, no out of state tax). Email inga@samsonas.com, will be happy to send info 👍