Thread: Low oil pressure warning soon after N20 timing chain service!

My Cars
    2001 530i sport 5 spd

Low oil pressure warning soon after N20 timing chain service!

Hey guys, last night my 2013 328i 6MT (just rolled over 50k miles) threw a low oil pressure warning on the dash. Pulled over almost immediately after, shut the engine off for a minute, started it again and the error went away. The car made it home with no problems, no odd noises, completely normal operation. Plugged in my bluetooth OBD scanner and no error codes came up.

A few things to point out:

*It was a 45 mile highway drive and I was following my buddy in his 2002 Audi S4, as you can imagine I was not being easy on the car (lol)

*The car had the N20 timing chain extended warranty service perfomed back in June at a local dealer, and they changed the oil too of course.

*When I got home I checked the oil level thru iDrive and it appeared fine.

Drove the car to work this morning (yes I work Sundays sometimes, ugh) and no problems whatsoever. The car has been behaving like normal this whole time with the exception of that warning on the iDrive screen last night before pulling over.

Any reason to be concerned? Or maybe it was just a one time fluke? Maybe the sensor is going bad?

My Cars
    Was the chain noisy when it was repaired? Or had the guides broken completely? We had a vehicle in the exact same position a few months ago. The tech never should have repaired the timing chain cassette. The guides had broken, and plastic pieces were in the motor, and shavings in the oil filter. It should have gotten a replacement motor. You can take it back, or you can check yourself, for metal shavings in the oil filter. Any shavings means engine damage. That warning probably didn't come on for no reason.....
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 530i sport 5 spd
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Was the chain noisy when it was repaired? Or had the guides broken completely? We had a vehicle in the exact same position a few months ago. The tech never should have repaired the timing chain cassette. The guides had broken, and plastic pieces were in the motor, and shavings in the oil filter. It should have gotten a replacement motor. You can take it back, or you can check yourself, for metal shavings in the oil filter. Any shavings means engine damage. That warning probably didn't come on for no reason.....
    Sorry for the late reply, I sort of forgot about this because the car has been just fine. The chain was a bit noisy when it was repaired, yes. The late came on again this past Christmas Day too, but same thing, went away after pulling over for a few mins. Similar conditions too, cruising down the highway after about 20 mins at higher speeds (80-90 mph)

My Cars
    I would take it back and let them sort it out. That light coming on is not normal and it's likely that engine is not long for this world.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    +1

At the very least, the oil pressure sensor is going bad. At worst the oil pump pickup is clogged with little plastic bits from a timing chain guide, and the engine is going to be damaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    At worst the oil pump pickup is clogged with little plastic bits from a timing chain guide, and the engine is going to be damaged.
    The most likely scenario.

My Cars
    f34
    Sorry for a bump but have you ever sorted it out? I have a simmilar situations, chain was serviced, and now i have i have low oil pressure when driving longer at the higher speeds?