Thread: MikeE36 on hyperdrive show

My Cars
    86 325es

MikeE36 on hyperdrive show

I am watching the first episode of Hyperdrive on netflix and recognized the spotter of the 240sx, Micheal Van Shellenbeck. Thats MikeE36, our resident E36 drift maniac.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ld-)-E36-turbo

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Here's Shredder, Mike and the guys watching the show.

My Cars
    TURBO 99 M3, F82 M4
    Sweet gonna have to check it out, apparently we have a local girl driving a mustang on the show as well.
    Mod list - M50 manifold; TechniqueTuning Stg2, Apex Arc-8, ZKW euro, clear corners Mike R diffbrace, Koni Yell with HR race
    X-brace UCC tranny mounts -BLK/with enforcers, powerflex rtabs,lcabs, AAfanclutch, mishimoto rad, UCC Ultra-cerametallic Clutch.
    You will go through days of joy and days of sadness as the pursuit for power leads to madness...

My Cars
    328is GT35R
    whaat no way haha. It was actually a pretty entertaining show.

My Cars
    Bima
    looked super lame at first and the commentators seem very bored and reading off a teleprompter
    but the editing is sweet and the cars are sweet. did you see that 90 year old black guy in the 1st episode he came out like he god of SCCA but fucked up hardcore. Backed up into the stage. dumb ass. ha

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    looked super lame at first and the commentators seem very bored and reading off a teleprompter
    but the editing is sweet and the cars are sweet. did you see that 90 year old black guy in the 1st episode he came out like he god of SCCA but fucked up hardcore. Backed up into the stage. dumb ass. ha
    lol that was hilarious. A lot of people were fu*king up though. At least there was a good variety of cars that most people could relate to.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Yeah I feel like they should have been given some kind of practice session or something off camera before they filmed. At least maybe for the really technical skid portions. There were a few cars that I would have really liked to see perform at their best.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape

My Cars
    86 325es
    I do wonder though if the people had any kind of idea what kind of competition they were walking into. There were a few people that were just astonishingly unprepared, like showing up with a drag car and having never actually attempted to skid the car at all. I mean if you came into this and you haven't at least practiced a little bit of drifting you never had a chance.

My Cars
    328is GT35R
    I would have thought they did give them practice or at least a track walk. Maybe they did but the edit we see is a mix of practice and the real deal for entertainment purposes.. Who knows with TV. Mike should tell us

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by daze450 View Post
    I would have thought they did give them practice or at least a track walk. Maybe they did but the edit we see is a mix of practice and the real deal for entertainment purposes.. Who knows with TV. Mike should tell us
    There was no practice. We got a ride through with the stunt coordinator of the course in a van each night prior to the filming, but the runs you see are one and done, with no "at pace" practice at all. We just drove in a van from obstacle to obstacle while the rules were explained, and then on to the action. All of the timing and obstacles were 100% legit.

Also, I thought you guys might get a kick out of Axel Francois' S13, it has a stock M50 in it that makes about 400 wheel, with a ZF and 4.08 diff. The thing was on it's last leg from the get go, with tons of blow-by coming out of the valve cover. More and more progressively each night.

It was a super fun experience, although pretty grueling on filming. It took place last summer in Rochester, NY for about a month. We were on set from 5pm to 6am, for about 3 weeks straight. Hopefully there's a Season 2 and I get to wheel my car next time..

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

That guy was a joke, lol. He runs a driving school too.
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    I would have hated it less if they were honest upfront and just called it American Dorifto Warrior.

My Cars
    328is GT35R
    Very cool Mike thanks for the info, would be dope to see you on there!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Yea neat concept for sure, glad you had fun mike, sounds like it was hard work. A little heavy on the drift aspect for sure but still enjoyable. Hated to see the little girls e30 die. Im guessing she bent some valves....

Yea, that SCCA guy came off as an ass. I laughed pretty good when he smacked the structure.
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    Bima
    that e30 chick was super cute. sucks she died on the shitty water trap
    stock ass 130hp e30 isn't winning anything though.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    I would have hated it less if they were honest upfront and just called it American Dorifto Warrior.
    There was definitely SOME drifting, but I wouldn't really call pulling the ebrake and tagging a target, drifting. It was significantly slower to actually throw big angle and enter with a "real" drift than to just quickly move from obstacle to obstacle and complete them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jab31169 View Post
    Yea neat concept for sure, glad you had fun mike, sounds like it was hard work. A little heavy on the drift aspect for sure but still enjoyable. Hated to see the little girls e30 die. Im guessing she bent some valves....

Yea, that SCCA guy came off as an ass. I laughed pretty good when he smacked the structure.
    Hard to say on the E30. Stacey actually has an E30 in South Africa, and it was cheaper for Netflix to buy and build her one that looked similar, than to ship hers, so it may have had a crap engine from the get go.

that e30 chick was super cute. sucks she died on the shitty water trap
    stock ass 130hp e30 isn't winning anything though.
    Not sure if it was water ingestion or what, but majorly a bummer for sure. She was really sweet and her dad was super cool too.

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    There was definitely SOME drifting, but I wouldn't really call pulling the ebrake and tagging a target, drifting. It was significantly slower to actually throw big angle and enter with a "real" drift than to just quickly move from obstacle to obstacle and complete them.
    Hence American Dorifto Warrior. Some drifting and other fuckery. Kind of like comparing olympics to the circus. The latter is hard, sure, but it's still fuckery and requires a narrow ability. Nothing but a drifter in a drift car has any chance. I get that it's their best attempt bring a car show to the masses. Same way no one watches the world track or weightlifting championships but Ninja Warrior is a hit. But I don't find it interesting either. I appreciate Netflix trying but all the true enthusiast outlets like Grassroots promoting this show as the ultimate car enthusiast show pissed me off when I tried watching an episode (it probably made it worse only watching one since I got to see road course and drag racecars embarrassing themselves on a goofy dorifto course). I guess I gotta live with the fact that there are so few people in sync with my interests in motorsport that my kind of content can only exist on youtube.

Edit: not that anyone cares but since I hate people who bitch about things and offer no alternative, my ultimate car show would be something similar to how the Grassroots 200x challenge is run. I'd let you bring whatever you want as long as you knew what you're getting into. And the event would consist of a drag race, drifting competition and road course time attack. For the fuckery I would be ok then adding a gymkhana course with silly challenges. And then we drop your lowest and highest score (or maybe just lowest). That way no one would be too dominant, and people would choose which of the practices to emphasize.
    Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 09-02-2019 at 08:59 PM.

My Cars
    E34 525i
    im surprised the caliber of people willing to destroy their cars for absolutely no real gain. sure notoriety is one thing but most of them already have it

and yea i noticed that 240 having an m50 manifold in one of the background shots
    Last edited by Hofmeister; 09-03-2019 at 01:42 PM.

My Cars
    Bima
    so what did that guy win other than a crappy trophy?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Saw him too - I was like dafuqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq I texted him immediately. Unfortunately it took colleagues like 4 weeks to convince me to watch it.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Saw him too - I was like dafuqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq I texted him immediately. Unfortunately it took colleagues like 4 weeks to convince me to watch it.

Still can't believe Jon is back...

Plz don't leave.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    99' 323is, 99' 328is
    I really liked the show, a good diviation fun/funny alternative, wouldn't hesitate to participate. Also like ninja warrior, not American ninja but the original.