Thread: Garrett G30 and G35 Turbos

My Cars
    2001 330i

Garrett G30 and G35 Turbos

It seems that Garrett is doing some press release material for a G30-660 and G30-770 turbo.....but then digging around, I found place-holders for the following:

G30-660
    G30-770
    G30-900

G35-900
    G35-1050

My Cars
    are slow.
    Looks like they are uploading information about some of them already:

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing...eries-g30-660/

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/turbo/g-series-g30-770/

"Understanding the Name:
    G30-660
    G designates 81 years of GarrettŪ heritage.
    30 classifies the size of the frame. The remaining 3 digits identify the max horsepower rating of the turbocharger. (ie 660)"

So the new G35 should flow up to 1050hp. Jeez.

"Turbine Wheel Aero
    The turbine wheel features all new aerodynamics to improve flow and boost response. The new turbine wheel is made of Mar-M, a super alloy that is capable of handling exhaust gas temperatures up to 1050 degrees C.
    The new turbine wheel flows 5% more than GTX and has peak efficiency of 74%."

"Compressor Aero
    Forged fully-machined compressor wheel and new aerodynamics increase maximum horsepower output and boost response. The CFD (computational fluid dynamics) engineered compressor wheel increases airflow up to 15% for 60mm and 30% for 67mm with 79-80% efficiency. (Compared to GTX GEN II) Compressor wheel features 9 blade count and wider compressor maps for a larger operating area."
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I haven't seen too many results of the G25 stuff, but most the ones I have seen were kinda disappointing. It seemed to be way too much compressor for the turbine wheel, which is how Garrett typically leans towards their sizing, but it was especially lopsided with that series. Hopefully the G30s are the same, but I'm kinda surprised they didn't up the 60 mm major diameter turbine wheel for the G30s.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    It is a tiny GTX28RS sized turbo. What are you expecting from it? It is clearly a 4cyl only turbo for just about every application. It is tough to compare spool data too since I don't think anyone has made a twin scroll G25 setup yet either. From what I've seen, they look very promising assuming they scale properly across the different frame sizes.

The G30 and G35s are going to finally give the EFRs some competition and should be a good fit for bottom mounts considering their small size.

My Cars
    E36 2JZ
    Yes, they are for 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder as single or twins. Choosing the right AR for boost pressure and power level is the key

My Cars
    Lotus Super 7
    The problem currently is the price. All the G series stuff is a good 25%-35% more than what Borg's EFR's are going for. While there might be some performance gain from the new G-series stuff, for me the question comes down to price. If the price is 25% higher, does it offer me 25% more performance? I just don't see it. I understand that garrett usually comes out with a new product and for the first 2 years the price is high. Shoot, I remember when I was eye balling the EFR 9180 when it first came out and I couldn't find one priced under $2450, and 6 months later they were down around $2200, and now they can be had for around $1900. Shoot, I think a 9176 can be had for around $1700.

The G series stuff is great, and possibly because of exchange rates, maybe they are very competitive in price in other countries, but currently in the US the best bang for your buck is with the borg EFR stuff for dead nuts reliability (don't over spin them) and performance, and Precision for all out power.

By the time the G series comes down in price to be competitive in that aspect, I fear the rest of the market will have copied their designs and offer it at a better price and with even slightly better enhancements.
    Attention TURBO LOVERS, Great book -----> How to turbocharge and Tune your Engine

Favorite Automotive Tuning Articles on the Internet: Engine Tuning Articles
    My Car: Custom Build Lotus Super 7

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Quote Originally Posted by flexer View Post
    The problem currently is the price. All the G series stuff is a good 25%-35% more than what Borg's EFR's are going for. While there might be some performance gain from the new G-series stuff, for me the question comes down to price. If the price is 25% higher, does it offer me 25% more performance? I just don't see it. I understand that garrett usually comes out with a new product and for the first 2 years the price is high. Shoot, I remember when I was eye balling the EFR 9180 when it first came out and I couldn't find one priced under $2450, and 6 months later they were down around $2200, and now they can be had for around $1900. Shoot, I think a 9176 can be had for around $1700.

The G series stuff is great, and possibly because of exchange rates, maybe they are very competitive in price in other countries, but currently in the US the best bang for your buck is with the borg EFR stuff for dead nuts reliability (don't over spin them) and performance, and Precision for all out power.

By the time the G series comes down in price to be competitive in that aspect, I fear the rest of the market will have copied their designs and offer it at a better price and with even slightly better enhancements.
    EFR series prices do not include turbine housings

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You can get them with turbine housing for the prices flexer listed.

My Cars
    Lotus Super 7
    Quote Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
    EFR series prices do not include turbine housings
    Yes, While I am aware of that I didn't want to be a Jack A, and so I was giving readers an apples to apples comparison, so I was quoting EFR set-ups with turbine housings just as the Garrett's are.

For those reading this hope that helps.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    The EFR is huge and heavy aside from being awesome.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    The EFR is huge and heavy aside from being awesome.

The aluminum CHRA B1 frame are lighter than a Garrett that makes half the power. The B2 frame EFRs are pretty big/heavy though, and what most here would use.

The EFRs are also even cheaper at the wholesale level than Garretts. It honestly surprises me EFRs have not become more prevalent, but I think some of it is people are more used to the Garrett name overall.