Thread: 2008 535i no fuel 12v constant

My Cars
    2008 535i

2008 535i no fuel 12v constant

Hi guys,
    I’m having a little issue with my 2008 535i with n54 motor. This is my first posting so bare with me. I replaced the starter after it went out. It drove for a day or two. Then I got the notorious lpfp failure so I replaced it. I went to start her back up but no love.

I tested electrical values at crank sensor and cam sensors (exhaust and intake). They all checked good.
    It cranks over and doesn’t struggle when starting. I’m getting spark but realized I’m not getting any voltage to injectors. I’m getting pressure to the fuel rail but I’m not heading that hum of the fuel pump priming as well. I am getting power to fuel pump. I replaced the fuel injector relay in the bonnet power management on passenger side. I am getting voltage to it but still no voltage ( constant or pulse). I even did the old trick of listening for the clock through a screwdriver.

So naturally I checked all my fuses were good. So I started to think maybe the ekp module might be faulty. My obd scanner is generic and doesn’t have inpa.

I have heard the starter might be causing this. I do remember when the starter went out it wouldn’t prime the fuel pump. I’m kinda thinking it might be the starter solenoid being faulty and not relaying voltage to the ignition system. I have hear a few cases where this has been the root of the gripe.

Any thoughts on what my cause no voltage to injectors? I’ve been reading a lot in the forums and thought I’d officially join. I’d appreciate any incite since I’m trying to stay away from the stealership. Also, I was thinking it might be the fob. I do have comfort access and it cranks so I’m pretty sure it’s not the immobilizer.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Treyb; 08-18-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Updated

My Cars
    2008 535i

Didn’t load?

Hi guys,
    Not sure why the post didn’t load or got deleted.
    I have a 2008 535i auto trans with a n54.
    My starter went out so I replaced it. It ran for a day and then got the dreaded lpfp failure. So I swapped one in that was tested prior to installation. When I went to start it it turned and turned but only crank and no start. Naturally, I load tested the battery and ended up replacing it. I’m getting spark but no power to the fuel injectors.

I replaced the fuel injector relay under the hood in the power management system. I’m getting voltage to the relay. I tested the crank sensor and cam sensors (intake and exhaust). They both checked good even though I was kinda hoping it was that simple. I checked all my fuses as well and they all were fine. I cleaned the map and maf sensors. I checked the fuel rail connections as well. I’m getting pressure at the rails around 70-72 psi when cranking. When I say power I mean 12v or pulse. My understanding is the ekp is responsible for the signal to the dme and then relayed to the pcm. I’ve seen posts about guys having issues with the starter solenoid not providing enough voltage.

I travel a lot for work and this was my daily driver. I absolutely love the car and am trying to figure out the culprit. Any incite would be greatly appreciated. It does run with a brief mist of starting fluid. Also, I do have comfort access and everything works other than fuel. I think that rules out the immobilizer. I’d just hate to pull the intake manifold and starter for no reason.

My Cars
    2010 E61
    Don't rule out the immobiliser.
    Have you read the error codes?

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Ok. Yeah, I have read the codes but there aren’t any. I’m using a basic obd with inCarDoc pro software that only lets me see dtc. It’s pretty generic but it gives me fuel pressure at rail, trim data, timing etc. I’m really thinking about setting up an inpa diagnostic laptop just for this car. I tried the car in neutral as well but it didn’t change anything.
    Last edited by Treyb; 08-19-2019 at 01:45 PM.

My Cars
    2010 E61
    Setting up inpa is a great idea. The generic obd apps often can't read all the error codes.

My Cars
    2008 535i

update

Quote Originally Posted by iregj View Post
    Setting up inpa is a great idea. The generic obd apps often can't read all the error codes.
    So I tried jumping pin 30 to outside 87 on the injector relay under the hood. The pump didn't turn on so I think I'll order a new one versus LKQ while the cord is on the way.

My Cars
    2010 E61
    Why should that turn the fuel pump on? Didn't you already replace the fuel pump?
    Just pull one of the low fuel pressure tubes and put it in a bottle, see if the pump works.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If this problem started after you replaced the LPFP, maybe you did not install it correctly. You wrote that the car drove for a day or two after installing the starter so the issue probably is not the starter unless maybe you did not put the nut on a power cable from it.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Jumping 30 to both 87s on the injector relay will power the injectors and fuel pump. I did check the low side pump both at the rail using the sensor and by unplugging the send line at low pressure pump to verify. There was flow but I’m really leaning to a faulty pump. I don’t hear it at all when cranking.
    The only reason I mentioned the starter is because I remember the pump wasn’t priming before the starter went out. I replaced the starter and voila. I think the pump might have been on the way out. Before the starter though. I’m sure there are plenty of ways to install them wrong but It’s pretty straight forward.
    After I had replaced the starter it did drive. Then it just shut off, gave me the light, and I towed her on the golden chariot home. I’ve ordered the inpa cable so I’ll keep you guys updated.
    Last edited by Treyb; 08-21-2019 at 10:37 AM.

My Cars
    2010 E61
    The lpfp has its own control unit. Jumping relays is not how you test it.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    You mean the ekp? I checked voltage at the pins for the starter. I’m getting 12v and around 4. Can you use inpa to check the ekp module? When I jumped the injector relay I was happy to hear the injectors kick on. It wouldn’t crank though.

My Cars
    2010 E61
    Yes, the ekps.
    Wait it doesn't crank? You have been saying it does until now.
    I don't understand why you think it is the lpfp. You have already changed it and you have fuel pressure. Crank but no start sounds like an immobilizer/injectors issue.
    Does it start/run with starter fluid?

My Cars
    2008 535i
    It doesn’t start but it does crank over. It runs with starting fluid for a few seconds. I thought it was the lpfp because it’s not priming like it used to. When I would unlock the car I used to hear the hum of the pump priming for a minute. I just got the k+dcan cable and downloaded bmw tools(ncs expert/inpa etc). I’ll keep you posted. I’m still trying to figure out how to use it. How would I look for an immobilizer issue on the program? I appreciate the info greatly.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Just wanted to post an update. I’m getting fault 2acc under dme. I’ve checked the fuses again but they are all good. The sky blue relay is brand new as well. Still cranking but no start. Any thoughts on how where to go from here? Hope you’re all having a good weekend.

My Cars
    2010 E61
    So INPA is coming up with just the 2CC code? Nothing else?

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Yeah, still cranking but not starting. It’s only throwing a 2acc. I tried to reset the ews but it doesn’t give me the option. It says shift +f6 but it doesn’t allow me the option. Any other way?

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Just an update.. I reset the ecu and updating sp-daten as soon as I get the link. Will keep you guys posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Just an update.. I reset the ecu and updating sp-daten as soon as I get the link. Will keep you guys posted.

My Cars
    535xi 328i,
    Update??