Thread: X brace / cross brace (BMW vs Garagistic) and/or front strut brace

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Question X brace / cross brace (BMW vs Garagistic) and/or front strut brace

I have a 1995 E36 M3 that I only use to drive to the track (sebring / homestead), on the track and home from the track. I run a square setup with either Toyo proxes RR's or currently Nitto NT01's 255/40/17 on a Ground Control complete coil over street kit with koni struts/shocks, camber/caster plates at -2.8 camber at the front and -2.2 camber at the rear. Basically all bushings have been changed to poly bushings including engine mounts. About a year or 2 ago I had a driver coach tell me how during cornering he could feel my chassis flex. He did not recommend a fix he just mentioned it and said it was "a lot".

Everything I have read so far has said that the x brace is a great addition for enhancing chassis rigidity. I am between the Garagistic cross brace and the BMW X brace. Is there any major difference? If the price was identical is one clearly better than the other? If I can save $100+ would the garagistic cross brace be better value?
    I am also considering the front strut brace. If I am buying a cross brace is the front strut brace worth it?

What handling characteristics should I notice oversteer vs understeer at high speed vs low speed corners?

I feel my car is pretty balanced but would like to dial some understeer out of the car if possible.

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    99 M3

X brace / cross brace (BMW vs Garagistic) and/or front strut brace

Front end will definitely ‘stick’ better at turn-in with BMW Convertible X-Brace.
    Your M3 may or may not have the rivet nuts pre-installed.
    Garagistic X-Brace seems to tie-in differently, not sure it accomplishes the same level of stiffening with the forward mount locations so close together.

Don’t think you need the Strut Tower brace, doesn’t do much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 08-15-2019 at 01:50 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    My 95 had the riv-nuts from the factory. You can look to see if yours does.
    I'd get the BMW x brace. Proven. And only a few bucks more than that garagastic thing.

FYI, With Toyo RR's, I'd run more than -2.8 front camber. (I run -3.8 and zero toe) That'll help with understeer.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Standard E36 advice since forever: everybody needs the X-brace. Non-negotiable, no ifs ands or buts.

After that, a non-hinged (not to be confused with unhinged...) strut tower brace ads some additional front end rigidity. Mine is a Mason fabricated aluminum, very stiff and weighs only 2-½ lbs or so.

Neil

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Is there a difference between the Convertible and LTW version of the x brace? The only different versions I know of are the older ones that have the flat square piece that make changing the oil a bit of a mess and the newer version without it.

What are your thoughts on buying this particular part used vs new? There are plenty of used ones on ebay which are even freshly powder coated that look oh so pretty
    Last edited by BeeHemDoubleU; 08-15-2019 at 10:52 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I have the 'early X brace' the X isn't as off-set, which makes oil changes a bit of a mess as it just drips onto the x-brace and then it falls of the brace. But the brace has some extra gussets that maybe makes it more rigid.

like this one
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    When I took my car to get aligned I was told that I was maxed out with my current set up. What can I do in order to get more camber up at the front? I currently have this: https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...es-and-z3-pair

Is my rear camber ok?
    Last edited by BeeHemDoubleU; 08-15-2019 at 05:05 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeHemDoubleU View Post
    When I took my car to get aligned I was told that I was maxed out with my current set up. What can I do in order to get more camber up at the front? I currently have this: https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...es-and-z3-pair

Is my rear camber ok?
    Yea, the 95s are camber challenged, even with camber plates. I added shims. Which are just washers. DIYs are everywhere, a quick google search returned this, which has pics of where to put the washers. Bimmerworld sells a fancy kit. FYI, longer bolts may be needed.

https://m3pink.blogspot.com/2011/12/...ic-camber.html

My Cars
    99 M3

X brace / cross brace (BMW vs Garagistic) and/or front strut brace

1995 Factory Guide Supports?

You could use 1996+M3 Guide Supports and flip them left-to-right, right-to-left.

Oppps, you have CPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 08-15-2019 at 06:44 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    As far as camber advice https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...or-your-E36-M3 seems to me to have some good advice.

And I can say that my 95 M3 (11/95) build data has the nuts welded in from the factory for the x-brace. I cant tell you what difference the X-brace did for me because I installed it at the same time I did poly bushings but the car does seem significantly more sharp.