Thread: Ignition timing 'kw at WOT (stock dme)?

My Cars
    E30 M3 S50B32

Ignition timing 'kw at WOT (stock dme)?

Hi guys, i'm troubleshooting a lack of power in my car,
    i dont get any codes except for oil level sensor 44 and a/c relay
    i tested vanos with DIS, it's all good
    i tested fuel pressure, it's good at 5bar
    i noticed today while running live diagnostics in DIS that when i go WOT in 3rd or 4th around 2-3k rpm
    the ignition timing will go from around 20'kw to 14.5'kw and stay there, then after around 4k or so it'll go to 18'kw and the car's power improves then climbs to 20'kw or so
    is it normal that on WOT it will dip ignition timing so much? the car never used to have power issues or feel sluggish
    it doesnt feel like it's knocking cause it's just always not having much power below 4-5krpm even if the load isnt that big and still it doesnt feel as powerful as it used to be up top.
    (How could i check for knocking incidents happening and registered by the DME btw?)
    Any ideas? I'm going to try to check the last 2 sparkplugs (having trouble with seized coilpack mounting nuts currently) then try to clean the injectors and maybe put a wideband on it.
    Thoughts appreciated.
    1987 BMW M3 S50B32 engine swap

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Any news on this?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E30 M3 S50B32
    I checked the spark plugs, seem to be good, unfortunately i couldnt get to 2 sparkplugs yet cause the coilpack mounting nuts are seized.
    However today i drove it around, when it got hot the idle became rough and lumpy and even stalls without throttle after a while (as usual).
    Also if i give it 30% throttle or so at 2k rpm it'll kind of bog a little and misfire and then rev up. I turned it off.
    Replaced the coilpack on cyl#1 with another coilpack i had, turned it on, good steady idle, no hesitation or bogging on 30% throttle. I thought it was fixed. Turned it off again. When i turned it back on a weird ticking/rattling sound started, so i couldn't do much testing while driving.
    On the way home it started doing the rough idle again at stop lights, but it seemed a little better in the sense that it was stalling way less often if i dont give it a little throttle. *shrug*

My Cars
    E30 M3 S50B32
    I absolutely am baffled by this problem at this point.
    Today i left it to idle, good smooth idle. gave it a dip of gas once it warmed up (i left it for like 10mins running while i did something else). Idle went down to 600rpm or so rough idle, then stalled.
    Drove it around, same problem, then at some point i was trying to get a good feel for the misfire, kept revving it 30% throttle from 2krpm , seemed to go away. then idle is smooth.
    Drove it around, no idle problems. 10mins later at a stop light, same problem idle drops to 600rpm or so, rough and stalls without throttle.
    Could it be the ICV is getting jammed sometimes? But then it's also misfiring and stuff sometimes.
    Maybe it's 2 problems? ICV + something spark related as well causing the misfires and loss of lowend? Cause the way it rough idled even while parked from a cold start after 10mins just cause i dipped the throttle makes me think an ICV issue, i dunno.