Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1995 540i 6-speed resto

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    Attachment 657320 I like the rings too. Gives it a little something to draw your eyes, but not too blingy. Now would be a good time to get your lighted shift knob installed, if you have the harness for it. Routing from the headlight switch to the shift console is easier with all of the dash out of the way.
    Attachment 657321

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...s/61122231560/
    Yes indeed. The wiring will be going in at this point prior to re-installation of the console and dash. Will also be installing the UUC short shift kit, but not sure how much having the console out will help there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Spent some time this afternoon with the center console wood trim. It was pretty heavily scratched and faded. Not much I can do about the fading, but I wanted to see if the scratches could be buffed out.

The surface is hard to capture in photos, but:
    IMG_1682.JPG

I attacked the surface with Number 7 rubbing compound, focusing on only one half to see if anything would improve.

IMG_1697.JPG

You can see where the glare from the sun stops, which is the area I was polishing.

I applied the rubbing compound to the rest of the console and attacked it with my orbital. I then followed up with polishing compound. Pretty happy with the result.

IMG_1687.JPGIMG_1699.JPG

Its not perfect, but nothing else in this car is going to be either

Shifted my focus to the shift boot.

Before:
    IMG_1688.JPG

After:

The silbergrau hell looks so good clean!!! I’m lovin it.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Good save on that center console trim! People seem to forget that a lot of interior parts can be restored pretty easily, as opposed to buying expensive brand new parts or sourcing low-mileage used ones.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Hello and welcome! Great first post and great find. The shifter surround condition suggests moderate to heavy use, but garage storage. Most I've seen are a lot more faded and peeling from UV exposure. They can still be had new, but my choice if it were unrestorable (like mine, unlike yours) would be plywood with nice veneer.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    About those second turn signals on the cluster, they're for if you have a trailer hooked up to the car Seeing an E34 hauling something is always a little strange though, I saw one towing a boat once and it just looks so strange for a luxury sedan to be towing a trailer.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Hello and welcome! Great first post and great find. The shifter surround condition suggests moderate to heavy use, but garage storage. Most I've seen are a lot more faded and peeling from UV exposure. They can still be had new, but my choice if it were unrestorable (like mine, unlike yours) would be plywood with nice veneer.
    Thanks! Yep, I’ll be excited to see it back together at some point.

Neat idea with the plywood. Its amazing how good it can look when veneered.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterH View Post
    About those second turn signals on the cluster, they're for if you have a trailer hooked up to the car Seeing an E34 hauling something is always a little strange though, I saw one towing a boat once and it just looks so strange for a luxury sedan to be towing a trailer.
    Ah! Awesome. Thanks for that.

I always cry a little inside when I see one of these with a hitch slapped on the back end.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Ah! Awesome. Thanks for that.

I always cry a little inside when I see one of these with a hitch slapped on the back end.
    I'm totally gonna put a hitch on an E34 touring at some point, I think the idea of towing something with a car is pretty rad.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    I'm totally gonna put a hitch on an E34 touring at some point, I think the idea of towing something with a car is pretty rad.
    A touring hauling something feels fairly natural since tourings have a work horse vibe about them (and I mean that in a good way) but an E34 sedan hauling just doesn't seem right at all.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Oh pshaw. It only seems weird because in this country, large trucks are routinely owned and used as passenger vehicles. In Europe, where that isn't the case, people tow stuff with regular cars all the time. Of course a SilveRamFo has more capability, but for loads up to 1500lb or so, it won't tow them any better than an E34.

For a few years I had a fleet of three: a 4x4 truck, a 2-ton truck, and my 544iTM. The latter wasn't set up to tow, but when I was scheming a particular long-haul towing adventure, I realized it had the shortest rear overhang, strongest brakes, and by far the most torque of them all, not even accounting for weight. Up to the point that chassis strength might've come into play (officially I don't know, but my guess is in the 4000lb+ range), it'd've been the best tow rig.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Plus with a tow hitch you can effectively double or triple the cargo capacity when you need it, without needing to own a separate truck. Having a small trailer is nice for hauling big dirty things like an engine— which you can technically fit inside an E34 touring but is quite a hassle to do so, especially if you're only transporting it locally where the handling/mpg penalty is negligible.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    A touring hauling something feels fairly natural since tourings have a work horse vibe about them (and I mean that in a good way) but an E34 sedan hauling just doesn't seem right at all.
    Yes, carter said it right in my mind. Tow away with your wagons all day!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Oh pshaw. It only seems weird because in this country, large trucks are routinely owned and used as passenger vehicles. In Europe, where that isn't the case, people tow stuff with regular cars all the time. Of course a SilveRamFo has more capability, but for loads up to 1500lb or so, it won't tow them any better than an E34.

For a few years I had a fleet of three: a 4x4 truck, a 2-ton truck, and my 544iTM. The latter wasn't set up to tow, but when I was scheming a particular long-haul towing adventure, I realized it had the shortest rear overhang, strongest brakes, and by far the most torque of them all, not even accounting for weight. Up to the point that chassis strength might've come into play (officially I don't know, but my guess is in the 4000lb+ range), it'd've been the best tow rig.
    Plus with a tow hitch you can effectively double or triple the cargo capacity when you need it, without needing to own a separate truck. Having a small trailer is nice for hauling big dirty things like an engine— which you can technically fit inside an E34 touring but is quite a hassle to do so, especially if you're only transporting it locally where the handling/mpg penalty is negligible.

I know... I know. Its a snobby opinion, but I'm sticking to it! lol.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325ix
    I’m guessing that is for the hazards?

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt KRT View Post
    I’m guessing that is for the hazards?
    Yep! CarterH seems to indicate as such.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

My 1995 540i 6-speed resto

Waiting in a parts order so a few odds and ends today.

Changed out the blower resistor.

That was the original.

Also changed out the microfilter.

That sucker had a ‘99 date stamp.

Cleaned out the housing as best I could. And swapped in the new one.

The light switches were totally gunky, so i took em apart and deep cleaned them.

Managed to get the dash grill and center vent out. Both needed a good hosing down. The dash grill had some nasty yellow junk coming off it in the sink. Makes me think the car has been smoked in at some point.

Looks pretty good now.

Finished the day by disassembling the radio. One of the LCD illumination bulbs is out. I’m going to see if I can repair it, but since I haven’t done this before, its likely I’ll end up bricking it

Is the CD 43 the most ‘modern’ BMW Head unit you can plug and play in these things? I’d love something I can add bluetooth to, but I’m not willing to loose the OEM look.

Last edited by a777fan; 08-26-2019 at 01:26 AM.

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)
    Good job! Your thread is satisfying to read

If you don't mind the slightly off orange color, this Continental radio looks pretty good in an older BMW interior.
    It has all the modern features, and comes in a few versions.

Fitment requires a thick bezel around the radio so if you're looking for a pure OEM look it's not going to work.
    Last edited by Cactuar; 08-26-2019 at 01:28 AM.

90,700 miles 1992 BMW 735iL Azure Blue Metallic with Silver Grey leather interior ‣My car ‣My YouTube channel

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    +1 for the Continental radio. With the correct adapter harness, it becomes a plug and play setup that requires no cutting/splicing of factory wiring, which is really nice. Here it is in my E34:

And here it is in my E32:

Aside from the modern conveniences of Bluetooth, it also has better sound quality overall, being a modern head unit. As much as I love the oldschool BMW head units for their period-correct look, the sound quality just isn't great by modern standards.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Deep cleaned light switches? Now THAT is thorough!

The yellow stuff at the top vent might've been from glue, the glue in my E34 was yellow gunky stuff whenever I came across any. Good work changing the microfilter too since that was the main fuel source if the blower/resistor fire happened.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactuar View Post
    Good job! Your thread is satisfying to read
    Thanks much! Its going to be a much longer process than I was originally thinking, but I really dig the car and am looking forward to bringing it back. You can tell this was a special car for someone way back. It dropped into neglect the last 10 years or so, and it shows.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

My 1995 540i 6-speed resto

+1 for the Continental radio. With the correct adapter harness, it becomes a plug and play setup that requires no cutting/splicing of factory wiring, which is really nice. Here it is in my E34:

And here it is in my E32:

Aside from the modern conveniences of Bluetooth, it also has better sound quality overall, being a modern head unit. As much as I love the oldschool BMW head units for their period-correct look, the sound quality just isn't great by modern standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactuar View Post
    If you don't mind the slightly off orange color, this Continental radio looks pretty good in an older BMW interior.
    It has all the modern features, and comes in a few versions.

Fitment requires a thick bezel around the radio so if you're looking for a pure OEM look it's not going to work.
    Thanks for the suggestions and pics! I had seen the continental unit prior. The illumination is more MB than BMW, but it doesn’t look half bad!

Danny, where is your thread for the e32? Looks pretty sweet!

Last edited by a777fan; 08-27-2019 at 01:33 AM.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Deep cleaned light switches? Now THAT is thorough!

The yellow stuff at the top vent might've been from glue, the glue in my E34 was yellow gunky stuff whenever I came across any. Good work changing the microfilter too since that was the main fuel source if the blower/resistor fire happened.

Yeah... I’m kind of a weirdo. Its going to feel good knowing i’ve gotten at least most of the old owners out of the car.

It would be nice if it was glue, but I’m not so sure. I was having major flashbacks of cleaning out my grandmothers house after she passed. Two packs a day, and everything was covered in this slightly sticky gross residue that you didn’t know was there until you accidentally disturbed it and dislodged a portion of it.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions and pics! I had seen the continental unit prior. The illumination is more MB than BMW, but it doesn’t look half bad!

Danny, where is your thread for the e32? Looks pretty sweet!

I have the link to my thread in my signature every time I post, but here it is: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...94-740i-Thread

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    I really like the look of the continental radio also much cleaner looking than other offerings that all look abit “Tokyo by night”. Do they have RCA output for running external amp?
    Last edited by GazM3; 08-27-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

Ahehehe...

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Good score! How much did you pay for them? I've been on the hunt for some cheap M-Pars but in the Phoenix/LA area it's pretty slim pickins

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast