Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: My 1995 540i 6-speed resto

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
    Would you mind explaining what you modified on the clips to make them fit? I am in the process of replacing the windshield trim on my M sport and am having a hard time seating the new clips
    I'm guessing a777fan's modification to the clips is something similar to cutting the "distance spacer" feet off the clips before sliding them on to the edge of the glass. Those spacer 'feet' are integral to new clips (I ordered replacement clips not realizing a new windshield from BMW already comes with clips installed), and they are to be cut off just before final install of new glass. See my posts in these threads:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ndshield+clips

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...eld-trim-clips

If not that, I'm also curious as to what mod worked for seating new clips!

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Yes! Correct @m60power. Remove those little ‘feet’ and you can wedge the clip in.

Additionally, you can warm the existing adhesive up a bit (park in the sun) to ease the job of pushing them in.

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    I love this thread <3
    - Hans - Mauritiusblau Metallic - Ultimate Klasse - Progress Thread: LINK

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    I'm guessing a777fan's modification to the clips is something similar to cutting the "distance spacer" feet off the clips before sliding them on to the edge of the glass. Those spacer 'feet' are integral to new clips (I ordered replacement clips not realizing a new windshield from BMW already comes with clips installed), and they are to be cut off just before final install of new glass. See my posts in these threads:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ndshield+clips

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...eld-trim-clips

If not that, I'm also curious as to what mod worked for seating new clips!
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Yes! Correct @m60power. Remove those little ‘feet’ and you can wedge the clip in.

Additionally, you can warm the existing adhesive up a bit (park in the sun) to ease the job of pushing them in.
    You guys are awesome, thank you!

I cut the little feet off with my knipex cutters and the new clips easily went in.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Recently replaced my windshield, and its very nice to not have a sandblasted front glass. Lol.

Also took the opportunity to replace the cowl trim and repaint the wiper arms, and replace the little plastic covers on the arms themselves. I ceramic coated all the plastics prior to installing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    If this is the Fuyao glass, be very careful about trailing cars/trucks on gravelly roads. The glass is super soft and pits easily. Been there done that

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    If this is the Fuyao glass, be very careful about trailing cars/trucks on gravelly roads. The glass is super soft and pits easily. Been there done that

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk
    Yep indeed. When I coated it this weekend, i noted that there were already some pock marks.

Not like we have a choice anymore though. My glass guy searched everywhere. Fuyao is the only option available.

BMW hasn’t declared the glass NLA yet, just out of stock, so I’m hoping they do another run at some point.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530d + others
    Might be worth installing PPF on it. There is specific stuff for windshields that'll offer greater resilience to rock damage and can be replaced more easily and cheaply than a screen.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    I have a question about how you cleaned the hydraulic lifters. I'd like to do the same exercise. Did you use any specific tools that you'd recommend for that process? Particularly the valve spring compressor, but also anything else that would make the job easier...and less prone to losing the little collet/keeper pieces! Thanks

My Cars
    E34 540i
    I did this, took ages, individually taking each lifter apart, very fiddly but its possible, then individually ultrasonically cleaning them in a gentle degreaser, washing out and re-oiling, followed by reassembly.

Worked well, but key was to not mix up the parts.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by eddycooper View Post
    I have a question about how you cleaned the hydraulic lifters. I'd like to do the same exercise. Did you use any specific tools that you'd recommend for that process? Particularly the valve spring compressor, but also anything else that would make the job easier...and less prone to losing the little collet/keeper pieces! Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1URE87 View Post
    I did this, took ages, individually taking each lifter apart, very fiddly but its possible, then individually ultrasonically cleaning them in a gentle degreaser, washing out and re-oiling, followed by reassembly.

Worked well, but key was to not mix up the parts.
    Sorry for the delay! Been crazy busy with work.

No need to mess with the valve springs or collet/keepers. The lifter just rests on top of the valve/spring/collet/keeper combo. It’s held there by the cam. Once you have pulled the cam out, use a small suction cup to pull the lifter out of its bore. I’ve been told using a magnet to do this can migrate metallic particles to places you don’t want them in. I personally find this explanation dubious, but I trust that the advice originated based on information that was at one point sound, so I respected it.

1URE87’s advice to ensure everything is kept in order is absolutely paramount. You don’t want to put a lifter back into a bore that it didn’t originally come from. I found that small solo cups with sharpie on the outside was a good way to keep track of where a lifter came from.

Here is a youtube video of someone who utilizes vice grips to remove the inner part of the lifter:

https://youtu.be/5_feG-bfSPs?si=GL0y-_aoXmxf5N7d

I didn’t do this, instead opting for a different technique which i also picked up on youtube, which I can’t find at the moment.

1. Lay a sheet of cardboard down on a workbench. Ideally made out of wood. If you have a workbench made out of a more durable material, you might want to lay down a few sheets of cardboard.

2. Place the lifter into your hand of choice, with the top of the lifter against your middle finger and supported on each side by your index and ring finger. The ‘open’ end of the lifter should be facing away from you if you view your hand from the backside.

3. Carefully, but extremely firmly smack the lifter into the sheets of cardboard you have placed on the workbench. It might take a few hard smacks, but eventually you will see the inner lifter start to migrate out of the lifter cup. When you smack the lifter into the cardboard/bench ensure that you hit it square. The lifter is a tough bit of kit, but hitting it squarely reduces the chances of any damage that can or may occur to the lifter cup during this violent maneuver.

4. Once the inner lifter has been extracted, you can continue to disassemble as shown in the video or just drop the whole thing into an ultrasonic cleaner of your solvent of choice as I did.

5. Once clean simply press the inner lifter back into the cup the same way it was prior to removal.

Hope this helps!

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223