Thread: Newbie thoughts on my M6 six speed manual

My Cars
    2007 E63 M6 6 spd manual

Newbie thoughts on my M6 six speed manual

Been a "car guy" my whole life. Never have owned a BMW but something about the M6/manual called to me. Been doing a ton of research and have a few questions and observations.
    Why did BMW skimp out on the oring and the seals? Do Germans traditionally but a $100G car and change the rod bolts and all the o-rings and seals every oil change? Freaks me out to think I could damage such an awesome machine because a crappy rubber o-ring crapped out.
    Second, none of the electric motors, and there's a ton of them in the engine compartment, are vented. Hello?!?! If you're going to spec brushed motors in your oil pumps, accumulators, actuators and so forth, make a provision for the brush dust to vent out and to cool the hot end of the motor.
    Third, there isnt a problem with the rod bearing tolerance the problem is that the rods are not forged steel but compacted powdered metal. Cant prove it but I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has upgraded to forged steel rods if the caps walked or spread out under load. Unless the tech has radically improved, powdered metal rods are not good for performance engines.
    Vanos pump. I would love to ask the engineers why they didnt just put two N54 units on this motor instead of putting the pump in the crank case.
    I am very excited to dive into this machine and get to know it on a one on one basis. I would love to take her out on track days, but not before all the scary things get addressed.

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Hello: I don't quite understand your questions. Are you thinking of buying a E63 V10 or are you an actual owner?

For what little I know the rods are forged steel. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

I bought mine with several glitches; spent some money on putting in rebuilt lifetime warranty throttle actuators, new alternator, new rod bearings, VANOS line, new brake rotors and pads, catless headers, reflashed the ECU, K&N filters and put in new tires. Soon to come: traction control delete. Lightweight seats. Clutch set. Yes, mine is a 6 speed. The next 60,000 will be pure M/// POWER joy.

If you're looking to inexpensive affordable cars, not here. If you're looking for the closest thing to a F1 engine, this is the only site. Not Ferrari, not McLaren, not Honda. Not Mercedes. Their engines are one-off pure race engines with no street counterparts. And no, there's no such thing as a Red Bull engine. The M85 is a F1 clone displacing 5.0 L. Take good care of it and it will reward you. Ever downshifted at 140 mph and left a growling low revving V8 behind?