Thread: I need a Dallas area mechanic with LOTS of electrical knowledge

My Cars
    2005 545i 90k, 1995 540i

I need a Dallas area mechanic with LOTS of electrical knowledge

I have an 2006 E60 545i. It has some serious electrical issue. I have worked on BMWs for over 20 years. This one has got me stumped. I need a mechanic that has a LOT of experience dealing with electrical problems, and also has a LOT of available BMW components that can work on my issue "trial and error" without charging me for every single attempt. i.e. I dont want to pay for swapping parts that we find out arent broke!

It is also a possibility that my DME is dead, or dying. I would like to know if the shop is capable of flashing used DMEs, so that I'm not in for thousands of dollars to get this done if it is needed.

I have 2 BMW diagnostic software that I have also run, to no avail.

I have posted on 3 BMW forums, and gone through the obvious things MANY times, like the IVM module, and a new battery, various relays, IBS sensor, BST Cable. It does seem to be some sort of power problem, or module not powering properly, etc. I'm just out of ideas.

This is all it does, with ignition on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFmyC1KjRto

I feel like the vehicle, in computer terms, is in some kind of "boot loop". Meaning, it tries to POST, but comes upon an error, and retries.

Dont get me wrong, I want to pay for work done, but I am not made of money. I am hoping to find someone VERY skilled in diagnostics, and has the ability to do some part swaps without me having to invest in new parts for every attempt. I do not want to go with someone that wants to "give it a try", and I end up with several hundreds of dollars in diagnostic time just to say they cant find it. I would like someone that has some extensive experience in this sort of thing to get the diagnosis done quickly, and have a good plan of action with costs.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This is going on THREE years now!

Thank you!
    Last edited by martinav; 08-04-2019 at 01:41 AM.

My Cars
    2005 545i 90k, 1995 540i
    Well... I ended up going with Dallas Precision Imports. They did an incredible job. I recommend them highly.

The issue with the car was the DME. No idea what happened, but... a new DME flashing it brought this very sick BMW back to life!

http://dallasprecisionimports.com/
    Last edited by martinav; 07-20-2020 at 06:59 PM.