First, thanks to all who have discussed Hatch Lock issues in the past (not glass, the lower lock with “soft close” feature). Two things that I have learned and applied:

1. Zip tie repair of linkage between Actuator and the latch.
2. Substituting a 4 mm hex (Allen) wrench for the Torx 27 bit on the 3 lock screws.

My failure to take pictures of the lock before I removed it and started taking it apart raises the following:

How is the small spring installed relative to a piece I’ll call the “Catch Bar” ?

(see pictures below of 1) Hatch Lock (note white Zip Tie repair), 2) Spring, and 3) Catch Bar in UP position with spring not engaged.)

The Catch Bar with either DOWNWARD bias from the spring or just gravity holds the latch in the OPEN position when the latch is unlocked, either mechanically or by the actuator. The hatch closes but does not lock. You can’t lock the latch with the screwdriver method, nor does the lock/unlock sequence change things.

From this behavior, it seems to me that the Catch Bar is meant to be biased UPWARDS by the small spring, but I can’t figure out how to install the spring to do that. Failing that, I have just taped the Catch Bar in an up and out of the way position.

Although that seems to work (Hatch locks, “soft close” engages, no tailgate open light on dash), that can’t be the right answer – the Catch Bar must have a function, right?

Any ideas?

Thanks much !

Hatch Lock - 1999 528i Touring
Hatch Lock Spring - 1999 528i Touring
Hatch Lock - Catch Bar UP - 1999 528i Touring