Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 850 parts car, maybe restoration

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by cer54467 View Post
    all i am saying is there is alot more going on behind the scenes here than is being revieled. i have gotten banned for far far less that the crap that is happening here.

cartoons, if you dont know how to machine something maybee you should stick to flipping cars,
    Pretty obvious I know more about M70 blocks than you do... but please feel free to explain this "Hardcoat/Anodized lining"... sheesh. Probably should just stopp digging a hole for yourself.

My Cars
    01M5,72TA,06LBz,850,540m
    Right now there are 3 shops that will machine the anodize or hardcaot in the continental USA. out side of military facilities like že one i worked at that machined cylindrical items like this down to .000000 inch. yes it is possible. is it cost effective to machine M70 block. he'l no. not unless you are making something special. but go ahead feel free to slander me ad paint me out to be the bad guy when it is your lack of knowledge that is the issue.

My Cars
    93_850Ci 90_735 89_325iX
    (OO==[][]==OO)
    1993 BMW 850Ci
    1990 BMW 735i
    1989 BMW 325iX
    1988 BMW 325iC Convertible

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    ...I too have rebuilt a M70, i also have Machined the Hardcoat/Anodized lining in the cylinders.
    Right now there are 3 shops that will machine the anodize or hardcaot in the continental USA. out side of military facilities like že one i worked at that machined cylindrical items like this down to .000000 inch. yes it is possible. is it cost effective to machine M70 block. he'l no. not unless you are making something special. but go ahead feel free to slander me ad paint me out to be the bad guy when it is your lack of knowledge that is the issue.
    So much to unpack here...
    1. There is NO "hardcoat or anodize" on an Alusil block (which the M70 is). None. Nada. Zilch. Zip... Get the picture?
    2. The issue is not if an M70 block "can be machined", it can and I've actually done it. The tricky part is exposing the silicon crystals in the block. See, you cannot "hone" an Alusil block, you have to use felt pads, special paste, and possess a wizard's hat from Merlin himself to get it right. Yes, I've done that too. Obviously, YOU have not.
    3. "machined cylindrical items like this down to .000000 inch. yes it is possible" NO, that is absolutely not possible. Anywhere. lol
    4. Sometimes it is wise to machine M70 blocks - but they must be done properly, not with this mythical concept of "anodize or hardcoating"... sheesh.
    5. How is my responding to your lack of knowledge with actual facts "slander"? You are destroying your own credibility all by yourself. Besides, I'm writing this... it would not be "slander" but "libel"... except it isn't.

Perhaps we should ask the guy with this in a corner of his shop...
    shop.jpg

Oh look! That block in the front... it has "hard coating" (Iron Sleeves - 6 liter M70 block)
    and... and... that bare block behind it... is that anodize... err no, that's a brand new Nicasil coated M70 block (something which you have absolutely NEVER been anywhere near).
    That S70 race prepped engine with the dry sump in the back? Yeah, looks like fun.
    ...and what's that on the left? Turbos? Yeah, that's so common.

But go ahead... keep talking like you know more than me - that's MY shop.

6... Unlike some people, I don't do drugs or drink. Food for thought
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    1997 318is Coupe
    Well that was a wild ride.

I would just like to say my cylinders are machined down to .0000000 inch. I did it patiently by licking the cylinder and using the autistic sensitivity of my tongue to know when it was so smooth that Rob Thomas would sing about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12