Thread: Extended warranty for used BMW

My Cars
    2011 Toyota Rav 4

Extended warranty for used BMW

Hi All...

I had planned to drive my Rav 4 for a few more years years, then replace it with a BMW. However, a 20 year old driver changed my plans when she rear ended me, totaling my trusty Toyota. So, my plans are accelerated and I'm in a spot where I need a car very soon. I want a 440i x drive convertible. Of those I have found, the one I like best is not at a BMW dealer and it only has about 11,000 miles left on the warranty.

Having owned two BMWs in the past, I know I don't want one without a warranty. Is it possible to extend the warranty through BMW? If not, are third party warranties reputable? I have been warned about them, but I assume, like many things, there are those which are scams and those which are legit.

Thanks very much!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    I can't speak with direct experience regarding extended warranties. I will suggest strongly that you have a reputable euro, preferably with BMWs, perform a PPI (pre purchase inspection). Issues can become quite costly making the inspection a bargain.

If you haven't, take a look at the discussions in the 2012+ (F30, F32, F33, F34, F36) sub-forum.

Best of luck!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    I've bought multiple extended warranties for cars over the years. The best deal was from my credit union as they are member owned, so there is very little, if any markup, on the policies. No problems in having them payout on repairs. I've had NAC, Fidelity and a couple others. Another place you can get aftermarket warranties is from Costco.

My Cars
    2011 Toyota Rav 4
    Thanks folks, this is very helpful. I'm researching the warranties and what I am finding is not encouraging. I'll check with my bank. I did get a quote from a local dealer so I'll call around and see which might offer a good price.

My Cars
    2011 Toyota Rav 4
    Thanks folks, this is very helpful. I'm researching the warranties and what I am finding is not encouraging. I'll check with my bank. I did get a quote from a local dealer so I'll call around and see which might offer a good price.

My Cars
    2011 Toyota Rav 4

Third party warranties

I'll soon be picking up a 2017 440i x drive with a convertible top and I'm shopping around for an extended warranty. It has 11,000 miles of factory warranty left, so I can add a BMW warranty. Shopping around and researching, it's clear I want an "exclusionary" warranty. I have looked at a few. One that seems to have good service excludes convertible tops.

If you have had a good or bad experience with a particular company I would appreciate knowing that. Sadly, USAA discontinued this product last October.

Thanks very much!

My Cars
    Z4
    I am a new owner of a 2016 Z4. The 3 year warranty expires today, the 5 yr continues. Being that the pre owned Z4 is certified for a year from the dealer, what recommendations does anyone have to purchase an extended BMW warranty? I have no idea how reliable BMW is with regards to failures. The internet is not kind to BMW with regards to maintaining a BMW. One post read over $1700 average per year. I drive less than 6000 miles a year with these roadsters, not my main ride. I purchased an extended 5 yr warranty for my last vehicle (a Chrysler product) and used it several times with the $100 deductible per event. However, thus far, the BMW extended warranty quoted from one dealer is pricey. The dealer also was selling maintenance warranties and tire/wheel warranties in which I took a pass. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

My Cars
    2011 Toyota Rav 4
    Quote Originally Posted by BisB View Post
    I am a new owner of a 2016 Z4. The 3 year warranty expires today, the 5 yr continues. Being that the pre owned Z4 is certified for a year from the dealer, what recommendations does anyone have to purchase an extended BMW warranty? I have no idea how reliable BMW is with regards to failures. The internet is not kind to BMW with regards to maintaining a BMW. One post read over $1700 average per year. I drive less than 6000 miles a year with these roadsters, not my main ride. I purchased an extended 5 yr warranty for my last vehicle (a Chrysler product) and used it several times with the $100 deductible per event. However, thus far, the BMW extended warranty quoted from one dealer is pricey. The dealer also was selling maintenance warranties and tire/wheel warranties in which I took a pass. Any guidance would be most appreciated.
    I'm still debating this myself. I'm on my third BMW. My first I bought about ten years ago, a 335i and I loved it. It ran well and had no problems, other than eating tires. The second was a much older BMW from the 90s my teenage (at the time) daughter had to have, against my better judgement I helped her get it. Well, that ran literally 50% of the time and I spent a lot of money on it before we gave up, I leased her a Civic and eventually sold the cute little BMW.

I just bought a 2017 440i xDrive convertible. It has about 10k miles and a year on the factory warranty. I would not have bought it otherwise. I have had it all of a few weeks and so far so good. The dealer wants about $4,000 to extend the warranty for another year or so and another 10k miles I think. It seems like a lot of money, and I'm told the 6 cyl engine it has is the best engine BMW ever made and it should be fine. But of course many things can break, especially with a drop top.

So I'm on the fence. $4,000+ can fix a lot of problems so I'm leaning against accepting the risk.

An aftermarket warranty would be half the cost but even the inclusive ones exclude almost all parts for the convertible top. Most have very poor reviews and make BBB complaints. If you get one, do your research, make sure it is an exclusionary policy (such that it lists what is NOT covered rather than what is covered) and be sure when you have a problem, stop driving the car immediately so they can;t blame you for making the problem worse and refuse to cover it.

Let us know what you decide and good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh also I have read that you can get the dealers to reduce the warranty price. I'm planning to call around to see who will do that and how low they will go.

My Cars
    See Signature
    A thread back from the dead. Searching found little in the way of suggestions for an extended warranty company. Anyone on here know an aftermarket company that does what it promises?

The factory warranty on the 2018 M5 I bought a year ago expires in April. There are 32,000 miles on the car. I love the car.

A BMW dealer said they would warranty the car for 75,000 more miles for $4750, which is transferable, etc.

Is it possible that an extended warranty on the F90 M5 is a good idea?

Any recommendations so I can price shop a little? I'm tempted to go with the dealer's offer but I want to price shop a little.

thank you
    Johno
    -- 2003 e46 M3
    -- 2018 e90 M5
    -- Warm memories of 99 M3 w/ Eurosport Twin Screw, 2007 335i, 1970 Cutlass, 1989 328is, 1990 328i, 2012 S4, 2018 S4

My Cars
    2011 Toyota Rav 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Johno View Post
    Any recommendations so I can price shop a little? I'm tempted to go with the dealer's offer but I want to price shop a little.

thank you
    You can price shop among dealers, even dealers who are far away.

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beastmaster View Post
    I've bought multiple extended warranties for cars over the years. The best deal was from my credit union as they are member owned, so there is very little, if any markup, on the policies. No problems in having them payout on repairs. I've had NAC, Fidelity and a couple others. Another place you can get aftermarket warranties is from Costco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johno View Post
    A thread back from the dead. Searching found little in the way of suggestions for an extended warranty company. Anyone on here know an aftermarket company that does what it promises?

The factory warranty on the 2018 M5 I bought a year ago expires in April. There are 32,000 miles on the car. I love the car.

A BMW dealer said they would warranty the car for 75,000 more miles for $4750, which is transferable, etc.

Is it possible that an extended warranty on the F90 M5 is a good idea?

thank you
    How many months is the BMW warranty? My experience on extended warranties is posted above, and they all paid out without any problems.

My Cars
    See Signature
    Thank you. The warranty is for 5 years from now or 75,000 miles. It covers anything except wear items to 107,000.
    Last edited by Johno; 11-10-2021 at 03:23 AM.
    Johno
    -- 2003 e46 M3
    -- 2018 e90 M5
    -- Warm memories of 99 M3 w/ Eurosport Twin Screw, 2007 335i, 1970 Cutlass, 1989 328is, 1990 328i, 2012 S4, 2018 S4

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    I would consider it, but also look at a credit union and Costco. When I had my 2006 E55, I think I paid something like $3k or less for a 4 year, 50K policy with $100 deductible. That was from my credit union.