Thread: 235i AWD Auto vs RWD Manual

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci vert

235i AWD Auto vs RWD Manual

We have a 01 330ci convertible and now we are looking for a coupe. Drove a 435i manual with M package etc, and its just didn't do it for me. Drove a 2016 235i AWD auto and thats the power/handling I'm looking for. (M2 was too much for daily driver IMO)

Anyone that has a 235i or 240i that can give opinion on the AWD versus RWD. I'll find a RWD to drive, but curious everyone that owns one opinion. I've had plenty of RWD Mustangs, old muscle cars, a Porsche (ollllddddd lol) etc.

It'll be daily driver, but I'll do some weekend club stuff.

My gut tells me manual RWD (since you can't get AWD in manual)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I own a 2018 M240i with the manual transmission. It’s a great car to drive. You’re in Richmond (I’m in Arlington) so you won’t need snow tires or all-weather tires. Stick with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport (PSS) tires.

You'll find the M240i has plenty of power, great handling and fantastic brakes. I track my car at Virginia International Raceway in Danville and Summit Point in WV. He (his name is Gerhardt) is a beast on the track. The ‘vetts in my class can pass me on the straights (I don’t let the engine hit the rev limiter so I’m not going as fast as possible), but he out brakes and put handles them. But he’s also very happy cruising along at 25 mph in the city. His only weak point is the audio system. He has the HK system and I’ve upgraded all of the speakers to get better sound.

Btw, he gets 35-36mpg in Eco Pro mode on the highway, which is great considering he has a fuel capacity of only 14 gallons!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci vert
    I'm looking, other than the few H.P., not much difference between 235 and 240. Few options, more tech of course, colors.

I'm interested in doing weekend club stuff (kids done playing hockey have to do something with all the money we are saving !!lol)

So you don't think the AWD better for "play" ? Go with the pure RWD feel ?

Thx

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci vert
    Also - anyone get limited slip added ? Sounds like its a must for 235i (ok maybe not must, but advisable with short wheel base/power, not lowered etc) Can this be done at dealership so it does not void warranty ?

How much and worth it ?

Thanks !!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I think awd is oversold by dealers. I wouldn’t buy a car with awd unless I lived in a snowy climate. In that case I’d buy a Subaru or some other car and park the bimmer during the winter. Awd adds weight, complexity and cost. Unless you’re driving a 600hp M5 which needs awd to get that power on the ground, stick with rwd. The M240i has a pseudo-LSD when the mode switch is in the Sport+ mode. Basically, it applies the brake to the wheel loosing traction. It’s not the real McCoy but it’s better than nothing.

Stick with the M240i with the stick shift and rwd. You won’t regret it.

My Cars
    m235xi
    Owner of a M235 xdrive here. My previous toys were a 98 Zed and a e36 M3 so I am familiar with the older cars like you. These newer cars are completely different creatures as you already know. I think both rwd and awd are great options. The xdrive will be better if you plan on upping the power and no need for an lsd. The ZF8 is dct quick and has tuning options if you want to play with it. If you like 0-60 or going to the strip on the weekend the xdrive will have the upper hand. Also plenty of xdrive owners road race their cars. If you go over to 2 addicts you'll find much more info then here.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blubav; 07-29-2019 at 09:16 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci vert
    Yea my gut tells me manual, enjoy driving and play some at weekend events. I have a older Auto car to drive if I want to. Doubt I add LSD unless I get really serious, probably wouldn't add power, too old lol

My Cars
    2015 M235i, 2018 M3
    My M235xi is my daily commuter car and I've had it for less than 2 years. I try to maintain and perform most repairs myself. It's quite a practical car in terms of:
    • engine responsiveness: no issues in this department. The twin-turbo is more than enough and I can pass practically most vehicles easily at freeway speeds, if I need to. Gas consumption is surprisingly good.
    • brakes: the brakes are again more than sufficient for daily commuting. Try to get the Sports brake, they are grippier.
    • steering feel: IMHO, this is the weakest area of most of the N55-based Bimmers. It's way too light and it has lost the connectedness of the E46. Heard that the new G20 are better. When going through curves and twisty roads, the M235 isn't as pleasurable as an E46 BMW. Even with Sports or Sports+ Mode, the steering is still too light.
    • Interior fitting: May be it's just me, but I felt that the newer Bimmers are not fitted and buttoned-down as the older ones. My M235xi is only 4+ year old and it has already developed some annoying clicks and creaking sounds here and there in the interiors.
    • Upholstery: BMW has fixed the upholstery design issues of the E46 and these new ones do not sag and get detached easily. Materials used could be better.
    • Cowl height: Before I ramble on about this, let me define it so we are on the same page. The cowl height is the distance between the ground and the top of the hood. The E46 platform has one of the best, if not the best cowl height: the hood is low and it provided very good visibility to the front of the car; so, you can avoid curbs and objects near the bumper more easily. All newer Bimmers, like the M235, have a thick cowl height. I'm guessing that styling was chosen to make the car look more menacing/aggressive but it was done at the expense of visibility --- definitely not worth it, IMHO. I love the lines of the E46 better anyway.

I'm sure there are other perspectives but here are some of my highlights as a current owner of an F22 M235xi, E46 330i and an F80 M3.
    2018 (F80) M3 (Garage Baby) | 6MT | Comp Pkg | Exec Pkg
    2015 (F22) M235i xDrive (daily commuter) | 8AT | Prem Pkg | Tech Pkg | HK Snd | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver's Assist Pkg | MPE
    2004 (e46) 330i AT (Project car)
    2015 335xi AT (Sold) | 2009 335i 6MT (Sold) | 2006 325i my kid's car (Sold & regretted)

My Cars
    2016 M235i
    DrivingPassion presents great knowledgeable points. I'm a short term owner of a 2016 M235i and so far so good. I drove several of each and while I have no need for the 4WD, I was no impressed with the manual version. This car drives much more naturally as an automatic and I'm coming off eight year in an E36 M3. For daily use I can't think of a better car and that includes the recently driven M2 Comp. Enjoy!
    BMW FANMAN!

My Cars
    M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingPassion View Post
    The twin-turbo...
    They're single turbo but good review.
    Past: E36M3
    Current: M235xi 12.02 @ 115