Thread: E39 Brake Upgrade

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour

E39 Brake Upgrade

All,

for those who’ve gone for larger brakes in their E39 tourings, specifically people who’ve taken callipers off other car models that aren’t E39s, have you had to change the wheel bearing / hub to change the centre bore to allow for the change in disc dimensions?

I’m waiting for some new (to me) callipers to arrive and they’re off another bmw, and that car’s centre bore is 72.6mm as opposed to the E39s 74.1mm.

Can I just get E39 specific discs to match the necessary diameter of the new callipers or would I change the bearing to match the oem discs that are spec’d to the new callipers?

Does that make sense?

Cheers
    NF aka Deepan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '00 540iT
    Are you experiencing brake fade with the current setup? If not, there is not much point to a larger setup.

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    Quote Originally Posted by KRUZNBY View Post
    Are you experiencing brake fade with the current setup? If not, there is not much point to a larger setup.
    Yes. Uneven brake wear, warped discs and a whine when I depress the brake pedal that, if continues, will put me in a straight jacket.

Plus I want to take it out on track when I get the S62 in so I’ll need something better than stock

My Cars
    '00 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserid View Post
    Yes. Uneven brake wear, warped discs and a whine when I depress the brake pedal that, if continues, will put me in a straight jacket.

Plus I want to take it out on track when I get the S62 in so I’ll need something better than stock

I see. Sounds like fun with an S62. I was just checking as a lot of times people think bigger brakes will make you stop faster assuming they are not at the limit of course. Good luck with the build. I will say all 3 e39's I have had the pedal always was a bit soft no matter what.

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    Quote Originally Posted by KRUZNBY View Post
    I see. Sounds like fun with an S62. I was just checking as a lot of times people think bigger brakes will make you stop faster assuming they are not at the limit of course. Good luck with the build. I will say all 3 e39's I have had the pedal always was a bit soft no matter what.
    Oh yea, I replaced the pads first and they were ok, but planning ahead, as well as changing the brakes before a potential catastrophic failure.

I’m still in the very early stages of the swap, and the M5 is nearly fully stripped, thankfully I’m using my 540i touring as the recipient chassis.

My Cars
    '00 540iT
    You will get more visibility if you move this to the general e39 forum. Nothing you are asking is specific to tourings except possibly the total weight of the car to stop.