Thread: 2009 128 Horror electrical system destruction

My Cars
    1998 540

2009 128 Horror electrical system destruction

I'd like input on my situation. I recently purchased a very nice 2009 BMW 128 in FL, with 95,000 miles for $6500. The prior owner indicated that he was having some minor issues with the car starting. He’d replaced the starter and battery and then the ignition switch, but the issue continued, but mostly if the car was parked in the sun. He hadn't registered the battery but indicated that was needed. I drove it to MI where I live, without incident. I scheduled an appointment to have the battery registered as the windows also did not adjust properly, and I wanted to make sure that non-registration wouldn't come back to bite me as I intended to sell the car. I took the car to a local shop and it sat for a week outside. He finally got to working on the car but said it was giving him considerable trouble starting. He eventually did get it started and moved it, then later said he couldn't get it started. I then fiddled with the battery connections and finally got it started and took it to a local Euro repair shop nearby. They started working on it and found that the fusebox was damaged ($500), and that it needed a new starter($200). After those items were replaced, he indicated that the CAS and footwell modules also were damaged($1200), and also that there would need to be custom programming done by the BMW dealer. BMW also has to program the CAS($200).

Thoughts?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    This is a perfect example of why a car needs to undergo a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) performed by a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers. The shop would have scanned every module in the car for faults and provided you with a list of issues.

Now, I’d find a local indie shop that specializes in bimmers in your area at www.bimrs.org. The local euro shop may not have all of the BMW specific software required to diagnose issues. If there isn’t a bimrs shop in your area consult the local chapter of the BMW Car Club of America. Google “bmw cca #####” where “#####” is your zip code. That’ll give you the link to the chapter website. The website will gave the names and email addresses of the chapter’s officers. Ask for recommendations. Be advised that these cars are rolling computers and whacky voltages cause whacky issues.