Thread: Condsidering an 528i Wagon - New to the forum

My Cars
    None

Condsidering an 528i Wagon - New to the forum

First off looks like you guys have a great forum here full of knowledgeable folks. Figured I could get some advice on a potential purchase.
    Currently driving an access cab tacoma which I am going to keep for a weekender, but I need something to tote the the two kids around. Weekly commute is about 100 miles all in so an older model car is less scary without a lot of miles to be driven and having a backup. We currently use the wife's highlander for family trips, date night an general primary family car.

I came across an '99 528i wagon with 135k miles for sale a couple hours away and I have always loved the style. Listed at $2900, but the seller, a small dealership does not have any service history. They say that it looks really well maintained and has had lots or work put into it but don't have any paperwork to back it up. It is a clean looking three owner car, but the last was only 10 months with the previous being 15 years.
    https://imgur.com/a/7sS1cW0

I am definitely not a wrencher so any repairs and maintenance will be paid for. If this is a $5k car after some repairs it still seems much cooler and more fun that a late model Ford Fiesta. Any thoughts?

My Cars
    2003 525/5 Touring
    I would suggest walking away.

I bought a 2003 525 Touring back in December for about the same money. When I am done taking care of the problems. This will be around an $8,000 car. That is doing the work myself.

I bought a parts 525 sedan for $400 from a guy that according to the records also paid around $2500 for his car. Then he spent $3500 in the next few months having someone else fix small problems until the automatic transmission let go. It sat for a few months then he finally listed it as a parts car when I got it.

These are really easy cars to work on. Once you have a BMW specific scanner, another vehicle to drive and the willingness to spend money. Plus not that many tools compared to many other vehicles. Being a 20 year old car. Any problems you have probably have been had by others and written about extensively on forums like this. But until you get it baselined on preventative maintenance items and any outright broken things. You have to be prepared for a problem and the means to pay for the cure.

Once again, if you aren’t going to do the work your self. Walk away and look for a babied version with full records to spend up to $10,000 acquiring. Then plan on several thousand a year to keep it right.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Pre purchase inspection, I have a small list of things I need to do. It wont get great gas mileage but handles quite well thru the twisties for a wagon.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i Touring
    It's a 20 year old car with no service history. That alone is a bit of a gamble. Not being able or willing to do much of the inevitable repairs/maintenance makes it an even bigger one depending on how much money you can afford to spend on it. If you are willing to go for it, and there will be some rewards to driving such a solid car, I'd at least try to haggle the seller down.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    If you really want it, I'd consider investing in some tools and a code reader (or even better, an INPA setup). These cars are not terribly hard to to work on, and you can save a fortune by doing the simpler stuff yourself. You can probably handle doing a valve cover gasket, cooling system replacements, replacing vacuum lines, and some suspension work, since none of those things are especially difficult or require any specialized tools.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    '99 540iAT; '00 528iT/5
    Welcome!

This is all about your expectations. An E39 528iT is a solid, dependable car by BMW standards. The community online is relatively strong as well, with almost every issue fairly well documented over the years. However, compared to your Toyotas, it's going to be an adjustment.

My anecdotal experience: I looked at a few 6-cylinder E39 tourings last year across lots of price ranges (one even for $10k!) before buying one for $800 with around 175k on the clock and no service records. At 200k miles, I'm into the car now a bit over $10k after fixing all the leaks, replacing the entire suspension, cooling system, brakes, tires, ABS, valve cover, lots of gaskets, A/C, radio, fluids, etc... There's always going to be more to fix, but I think it's almost ready to take on another 100k miles.

The one you found looks a little above average in terms of visual condition, and nothing special in terms of options, if that matters to you.

Net, to buy one of these, you have to like it more than nearly anything Domestic/Japanese you could buy for under $10k, cause it'll cost you that much more in the long run. For me, that's an easy calculation. Good luck, and hope this helps.

My Cars
    None
    Thanks for all the insight folks. Definitely going to take to heart that the car may really be more of a pain than enjoyment. I also really need to take a good look at my interest in learning to do some of the work myself if I move forward. Its really easy to imagine myself getting into it and learning but at 36 years old it hasn't happened yet so it may be a bit of romanticism.

I did get my hands on the Carfax and there has been regular intervals of maintenance with the bulk of the work done at 100K miles. Brake service, transmission flush, drive belt replacement and valve cover gasket replacement , but it doesn't look like anything else beyond that.

That said I am going to go drive it this weekend and see if I get a good feeling. I will circle back with a follow up

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    36 isn't even that old... I've known guys that have only picked up a wrench at like age 60 and learned it. You're never too old to learn another skill... there's no real "talent" involved, it's just a matter of having the right tools, the patience, and practicing it.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    +1 ^
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    None
    I went and checked out the 528it I had my eye on this week and took it for a very thorough inspection at Eurofed outside of Atlanta. The car drove fine for me during the 20 minute trek and started up fine. A few items were noted by me like the tailgate glass did not stay open, passenger window did not work and some wear on the interior but nothing major or off putting. The car was listed at $2900 with 135K miles and a clear Carfax with some more sizable maintenance items noted at 100K.

Well...The guys at Eurofed sent a full 90 minutes going over this thing with a fine tooth comb and came back with the attached report. Apparently the thing was full of codes even thought no dash lights were on. Also they noted some serious body work on the passenger doors with lots of bondo and cheap paid, which to the untrained eye were not noticeable.

https://imgur.com/a/u7gdjX9

I was initially sort of bummed because I drove two hours to see what I thought was a well maintained and clean car and thought I may still offer $1500 or so for the car because it did drive well, but at the end of the day I think I would always be a bit uneasy about what's around the corner and what other things went unnoticed. Funny thing is a 2001 525it with just over 100K miles popped up on my CL search being sold by a Volvo mechanic locally so I am going to check that out this week.

Moral of the story is spend the little extra to get your PPI and it could save you money in the long run.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Car fax is a joke, get a pre purchase inspection

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by TBE View Post
    I went and checked out the 528it ........
    Moral of the story is spend the little extra to get your PPI and it could save you money in the long run.
    Mark down this failed attempt at finding the right car as making the RIGHT business decision based on facts not emotions. Great FINAL Decision!
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green