Thread: EML light. Car stops running

My Cars
    2004 X3

EML light. Car stops running

I have a BMW x3 2.5 E83. I started having problems with my car just surging and the EML, brake, and 4x4 lights would come on. Sometimes it would stop and I would turn it off and it would restart. I replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. It was still having this issue. I took it to the shop. The told me it was the throttle body. They replaced it. It ran well for about 20 or so miles, and now the issue is starting back up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

My Cars
    456 X3s
    see if there is a tear in the boot...what codes have come up? clean the idle control valve...disa valve clean and in tact? Vanos rings may need to be replaced...do you change oil regularly and do you use prescribed quality oil in the machine?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Eml engine malfunction light almost always has some thing to do with the electronic throttle body

My Cars
    2004 X3
    Hello. Thanks for the reply. The boot is also new. There are no codes coming up on code reader. Oil changed regularly with synthetic oil as recommended. I will check disa and idle valve. Thanks for your help.

My Cars
    2004 X3
    Well, back to the drawing board. Replaced the DISA valve and engine idle controller. Engine runs really good. However, I let it worm up and idle for a little while. Went to go for a test drive and put it in reverse. Engine quit. Started right back up though easily. Went around the block a few times. During the ride the EML, service engine, and 4x4 lights would go on and off intermittently. Engine never quit during the drive. Parked it in the driveway and let it idle. It quit. But every time it quits, it starts right back up. I plugged the code reader in. No codes stored or pop up. Not sure what to look into next. Would the VANOS rings cause this as well? That is my next venture if so. Or could it be an electrical issue with another sensor or something? Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by X3456 View Post
    see if there is a tear in the boot...what codes have come up? clean the idle control valve...disa valve clean and in tact? Vanos rings may need to be replaced...do you change oil regularly and do you use prescribed quality oil in the machine?

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeismann View Post
    Well, back to the drawing board. Replaced the DISA valve and engine idle controller. Engine runs really good. However, I let it worm up and idle for a little while. Went to go for a test drive and put it in reverse. Engine quit. Started right back up though easily. Went around the block a few times. During the ride the EML, service engine, and 4x4 lights would go on and off intermittently. Engine never quit during the drive. Parked it in the driveway and let it idle. It quit. But every time it quits, it starts right back up. I plugged the code reader in. No codes stored or pop up. Not sure what to look into next. Would the VANOS rings cause this as well? That is my next venture if so. Or could it be an electrical issue with another sensor or something? Thanks again for your help.
    Did we ever mention the MAF sensor? Spray cleaning it. This spray can be found at any Auto Zone, Advanced auto even Walmart. Don't need to use that much.

My Cars
    2004 X3
    No. Will give it a try too. Thanks again. Frustrating piece of machinery this BMW is!

Did we ever mention the MAF sensor? Spray cleaning it. This spray can be found at any Auto Zone, Advanced auto even Walmart. Don't need to use that much.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    what are you using to pull fault codes
    Last edited by jclausen; 07-21-2019 at 10:48 PM.

My Cars
    2004 X3
    A code reader from Harbor freight. CEN-TECH®

OBD II Code Reader

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    what are you using to pull fault codes

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeismann View Post
    No. Will give it a try too. Thanks again. Frustrating piece of machinery this BMW is!
    Ah! yes . The fuel pump is on it way out.

My Cars
    2004 X3
    That sounds like a likely issue due to the way it is acting up. Thanks for the info.

Bryan

Ah! yes . The fuel pump is on it way out.