Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best aftermarket headunit V2019

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    so one of my rear speakers is broken... what's a good suggestion to do? I think the bavsound stuff is a bit out of the budget at the moment.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    so one of my rear speakers is broken... what's a good suggestion to do? I think the bavsound stuff is a bit out of the budget at the moment.
    I changed out all of my factory speakers to CDT Audio;

https://www.woofersetc.com/c-172-speakers.html?brand[]=153#brand[]=153
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    I changed out all of my factory speakers to CDT Audio;

https://www.woofersetc.com/c-172-speakers.html?brand[]=153#brand[]=153
    Were they 'drop in'? I have the non-HK system. I really don't need anything crazy, the factory stuff has been fine for me. Sure a bit better would be cool, but I don't want to wire, add any amplifier or anything wild. Ideally, I'd just replace the speakers that are in there and have to do as little as possible.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Were they 'drop in'? I have the non-HK system. I really don't need anything crazy, the factory stuff has been fine for me. Sure a bit better would be cool, but I don't want to wire, add any amplifier or anything wild. Ideally, I'd just replace the speakers that are in there and have to do as little as possible.
    A speaker like this is what you want;
    https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_compone...oofers/cl4.php

The non-HK system uses a 4" mid and a tweeter and if you search for just a 4" speaker you will either find a coaxial tweeter/mid combo or a tweeter and a separate mid with crossovers.

It has been a while since I looked at a factory rear speaker housing but the above 4" speaker should be the easiest to install.

If you need a hand, let me know.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupé CSM
    Check out my thread because you might have glued in drivers that are going to be pretty much impossible to repair or replace. I was going to try to just repair the eroded surround, but I've not been able to get apart the glued frames. If you have this kind of unit then your hopes of repairing or replacing the midrange driver are slim to none.

So, if I am going to have to toss the entire stock unit, then I think am just going to get some 6x9 coaxial drivers with $15 housing adapters from Amazon (which someone recommended)... I don't doubt the Bavsound set is of high quality, but I think I would probably be just as satisfied with sourcing just the rear units myself and saving a lot of money.

Last edited by yurisuika; 01-02-2020 at 04:48 PM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I do remember now someone or a few people recommending going 6x9's in the rear with those adapters. I haven't bough speakers in like 18 years so I don't know what's descent.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupé CSM
    I do remember now someone or a few people recommending going 6x9's in the rear with those adapters. I haven't bough speakers in like 18 years so I don't know what's descent.
    I am not one to ask about car audio, but I was looking for something from a quality brand that was still reasonably priced and not tacky, so I went with Focal ISC 690 coaxial 6x9s. They'll be arriving today (along with the adapters), so I'll probably post an update over on my thread. They seem to be a company geared towards audiophiles. CDT looks like a good choice as well (I've seen a lot of E36 talk on them), but these ones intended as OEM replacements had a fair price. If I am not going to be replacing my entire system then I might as well not go to far in, but at the same time I don't want to just throw junk in there.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    This is what i use
    That is exactly what I do too! At least when I'm not listening to local radio or one of the 6 wonderful CDs in the trunk.
    In all honesty, every car I own has a tape deck, I still listen to a lot of tapes.

I was very pleased that the M3 I purchased had a stock head unit.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupé CSM
    I use the Bluetooth kind. My old Ion one had a 4 hour runtime but went half broken, now I have an 8 hour Aluratek one. That extra time is very nice. Old one used to be able to turn on automatically from the gears turning it... new one doesn't do that; you have to manually turn it on, but it will turn off automatically after 5 minutes of no signal. I just have to remember to turn off Bluetooth on my phone or pop it out and turn it off now. However, it doesn't turn off and lose connection when turning the ignition on fully like my old one. So some pluses and minuses.

Those wired ones always seemed to last a short amount of time for me, the cables or the plating or something would wear out quickly. Then again I would just buy the $5 ones from Walgreens. Perhaps one of those beefier $20 brands would last a long time. But for that price I can have Bluetooth anyways. If only my cigarette lighter would work with adapters.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 F31 328i Wagon
    Have we sorted this out yet? I would love for 2020 to be the last time I use the tape setup....
    Current: E36 BMW M3/4/5, F31 BMW 328i xDrive M Sport
    Past: Mk6 Golf R APR Stage 2, E30 325i/4/5, E36 328iS/2/5

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupé CSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan of Montana View Post
    Have we sorted this out yet? I would love for 2020 to be the last time I use the tape setup....
    Just find a friend who has a little bit of electrical knowledge to solder in a bluetooth receiver to the stock headunit. My friend said to me a decade ago that he could do that for just $20... too bad he has moved away now. Or do it yourself if you can!

I had to take apart my C33 this past year to change out the rubber belt that broke; there is plenty of room in there to add in a tiny module.

Best of both worlds: Bluetooth convenience and classy stock look.

OR...

Here, with a quick search, is the China special flip-out single DIN headunit. Hide from the world your shame of being someone who has a tablet in their car dash AND keep with that cheap but classy BMW matte black plastic look! Those white decals will probably come off with a tiny bit of solvent. Then again, every photo is different so you may not have any at all!

OR...

Stay with the stock C33/C43 manufacturer. This guy acquired a pretty sleek looking double din Alpine unit, if you'd be willing to do a conversion. Those /////Alpine stripes will match perfectly with your ///M, and the rest of the unit is pretty subtle. Shame that I cannot find that one listed on their site, however. Or get the Freestyle unit; replace your headunit DIN slot with a nice Alpine logo and mount the screen somewhere else! Where? Don't ask me!

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 F31 328i Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by yurisuika View Post
    Just find a friend who has a little bit of electrical knowledge to solder in a bluetooth receiver to the stock headunit. My friend said to me a decade ago that he could do that for just $20... too bad he has moved away now. Or do it yourself if you can!

I had to take apart my C33 this past year to change out the rubber belt that broke; there is plenty of room in there to add in a tiny module.

Best of both worlds: Bluetooth convenience and classy stock look.

OR...

Here, with a quick search, is the China special flip-out single DIN headunit. Hide from the world your shame of being someone who has a tablet in their car dash AND keep with that cheap but classy BMW matte black plastic look! Those white decals will probably come off with a tiny bit of solvent. Then again, every photo is different so you may not have any at all!

OR...

Stay with the stock C33/C43 manufacturer. This guy acquired a pretty sleek looking double din Alpine unit, if you'd be willing to do a conversion. Those /////Alpine stripes will match perfectly with your ///M, and the rest of the unit is pretty subtle. Shame that I cannot find that one listed on their site, however. Or get the Freestyle unit; replace your headunit DIN slot with a nice Alpine logo and mount the screen somewhere else! Where? Don't ask me!
    Solid response, very solid response.
    Current: E36 BMW M3/4/5, F31 BMW 328i xDrive M Sport
    Past: Mk6 Golf R APR Stage 2, E30 325i/4/5, E36 328iS/2/5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123