Thread: 2007 130i won't start after installing Sparco seats?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 130i E87

2007 130i won't start after installing Sparco seats?

Hi guys,

During the weekend I've been installing Sparco seats in my 2007 BMW 130i E87 track toy. I finished everything up yesterday, charged the battery over night and today the car won't start. What could be wrong?

The chain of events is as follows:
    - Disconnected the battery earlier in the week (planned on starting already on Wednesday but couldn't due to different reasons)
    - Uninstalled existing seats and installed Sparco seats during Thursday - Sunday (a couple of minutes here and there)
    - Connected the battery again on Sunday, it had now been disconnected for 4 days
    - Tried to start the car on Sunday evening, but the battery had discharged (start motor wouldn't rev), so connected the charger
    - Tried to start the car again this morning, now with the battery full, and the start motor just keeps revving without the engine starting

I'm not an experienced DIY:er or wrencher so I may have missed something or done some kind of mistake. How would I diagnose this? Is it something I did, or is it just a coincidence that the car won't start now?

Grateful for any help!

Regards,

Jonas

My Cars
    2007 BMW 130i E87
    168 views and 0 answers… well if anybody runs into the same thing it turned out to be an immobilizer issue. Obviously there can be a synchronization problem if the battery is fully discharged or left connected for extended periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by jonaslundin View Post
    Hi guys,

During the weekend I've been installing Sparco seats in my 2007 BMW 130i E87 track toy. I finished everything up yesterday, charged the battery over night and today the car won't start. What could be wrong?

The chain of events is as follows:
    - Disconnected the battery earlier in the week (planned on starting already on Wednesday but couldn't due to different reasons)
    - Uninstalled existing seats and installed Sparco seats during Thursday - Sunday (a couple of minutes here and there)
    - Connected the battery again on Sunday, it had now been disconnected for 4 days
    - Tried to start the car on Sunday evening, but the battery had discharged (start motor wouldn't rev), so connected the charger
    - Tried to start the car again this morning, now with the battery full, and the start motor just keeps revving without the engine starting

I'm not an experienced DIY:er or wrencher so I may have missed something or done some kind of mistake. How would I diagnose this? Is it something I did, or is it just a coincidence that the car won't start now?

Grateful for any help!

Regards,

Jonas

My Cars
    BMW 120i e87 n43
    How was this issue rectified? I'm having non start issues after fitting timing chain and battery going flat in the process

My Cars
    2007 BMW 120i E87
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie81 View Post
    How was this issue rectified? I'm having non start issues after fitting timing chain and battery going flat in the process
    If you have the battery out or flat for 'some time' and you get a crank but no start, then it's possible you have a CAS/EWS , DME de-synch. There are rolling codes in both units that have to align to allow ignition. Having the battery off for some time can cause this.

ISTA-D can resolve this. It's somewhere in Service Function - Drive - Engine Management - Adjustment (or somesuch from memory). You may see a fault code that says something about CAS 'anti tamper' if this is your problem..but not always AFAIK.

That said there are NUMEROUS other issues that can cause a crank but no start (however with the battery out story this is where I'd be looking).