Thread: 2019 M550 AC not keeping the car cool, ventilated seats useless

My Cars
    2019 BMW M550

2019 M550 AC not keeping the car cool, ventilated seats useless

The AC in my 2019 M550 is not keeping my car cool and my ventilated seats make noise but do little else. When I get into the car on a hot day the AC comes on and puts out a nice amount of air but the air coming out of the vents drastically slows down the longer the car is on. After about an hour there is hardly any air coming out of the vents. To keep the car cool I have to either turn on Max AC, or set the auto temp to 60 with max fan speed. I have the warm/cool setting set all the way to cool within the cars climate settings. Also other than hearing fan noise, I can't tell the ventilated seats are doing anything at all. I've had my car into the dealership for these issues and they tell me everything is running normally. I love the car but can't take being hot all the time. I've thought about trading it for something else but thought I'd explore on here before taking that drastic measure. I previously had a 2013 550 that had wonderful AC. Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB
    Quote Originally Posted by justoletukow View Post
    The AC in my 2019 M550 is not keeping my car cool and my ventilated seats make noise but do little else. When I get into the car on a hot day the AC comes on and puts out a nice amount of air but the air coming out of the vents drastically slows down the longer the car is on. After about an hour there is hardly any air coming out of the vents. To keep the car cool I have to either turn on Max AC, or set the auto temp to 60 with max fan speed. I have the warm/cool setting set all the way to cool within the cars climate settings. Also other than hearing fan noise, I can't tell the ventilated seats are doing anything at all. I've had my car into the dealership for these issues and they tell me everything is running normally. I love the car but can't take being hot all the time. I've thought about trading it for something else but thought I'd explore on here before taking that drastic measure. I previously had a 2013 550 that had wonderful AC. Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

Drive a new 550 on a hot day. If it stays cool, jack up your dealer and/or start a lemon law suit.

My Cars
    '01 740i, 06 911C4s '07 750li
    I have the same issue. Intensity of air flow decreases to almost nothing even though the temperature hasn’t been reached when using auto. I have to put on max and then manual and crank up the flow. I’ve taken it into Bmw 5 times to two different dealers in NY and they replaced Freon and reset software. Then after all this the last time (yesterday) the dealer raised a puma ticket and said the field tech states it’s operating as designed. The temperature setting is for the temperature of the air coming out of the vent. They must think consumers are morons. I logged a formal complaint with bmw and am waiting to hear before I engage lemon law. What utter BS. Manual even states “Cabin temperature”. This problem has existed since I bought the car in Mar ‘18.
    Last edited by Size; 09-05-2019 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    '01 740i, 06 911C4s '07 750li

BMW - says by design ehvios tl

Quote Originally Posted by Size View Post
    I have the same issue. Intensity of air flow decreases to almost nothing even though the temperature hasn’t been reached when using auto. I have to put on max and then manual and crank up the flow. I’ve taken it into Bmw 5 times to two different dealers in NY and they replaced Freon and reset software. Then after all this the last time (yesterday) the dealer raised a puma ticket and said the field tech states it’s operating as designed. The temperature setting is for the temperature of the air coming out of the vent. They must think consumers are morons. I logged a formal complaint with bmw and am waiting to hear before I engage lemon law. What utter BS. Manual even states “Cabin temperature”. This problem has existed since I bought the car in Mar ‘18.
    Took the car back to BMW and went out with a very knowledgeable Forman who compared my car to two other M550s. Couldn’t replicate problem, probably due to it not being as hot, but no difference in behavior across the 3 cars. So, BMW not going to look into further. I’ll keep fiddling/adjusting the a/c during 5e summer months until I give the car back and buy a Panamera. It’s a superior product and service from Porsche is outstanding. I’ve owned 3 and own 1 Porsche currently and hands down its a higher quality and better product. Sorry BMW, you’ve lost a once loyal customer since 2001 who has owned 5 7-series, x5, 328xi and an x1.

My Cars
    2009 535 i X
    My 2009 535 (I know, not close to yours) had serious A/C deficiencies. Mechanic struggled, eventually told me it would cost big bucks to dig deeper for cause. But problem, he found - auto setting was dialing down the temp when it shouldn't. Imagine a bad thermostat, though he said that wasn't quite it. I've used manual temp/fan settings since, and car is cooler, if not ever icy.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    BMW and there pumas what a shitty system

My Cars
    '09 328i Sdn, '14 535i
    Just took delivery of Certified 2017 540i M and noticed the AC was not as strong as my 14 535i and the center right vent was anemic.

This would not work.

I asked them to check the software, then asked them to check it out with BMW since my 535i blew like a Cat 4 hurricane on max.

They called me - on the 2017 5 Series, they'd designed foam pads that were too large and blocked the vents. The Tech Bulletin had the fix - smaller foam pads so as not to block the Air. Picked the car up and it was Cat 4 again. In Texas, we take our AC seriously.