Thread: Door lock grommet replacement

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX

Door lock grommet replacement

Hello all,

I am looking for tips/guidance on replacing the accursed door lock grommet that goes from the door lock hook rod to the lock actuator. How in the hell am I supposed to press and re-hook the lock into the actuator? It seems nearly impossible, there is no room! I replaced the two white grommets on the lock assembly, one white grommet on the door panel. But the black one from the lock arm to the actuator, I need magic for it! How has anybody accomplished this?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Maybe not the best/fastest method, but I took the 2 white window sliders out of the window rail, so I could move the window up or down as needed, and I took the complete lock out. If you find a faster, easier method, let us know.
    I also took this one out and de-dreased it and re-greased it http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/do...kMechanism.htm
    did not drill the rivets open, just cleaned it with brake cleaner
    Last edited by shogun; 06-26-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Maybe not the best/fastest method, but I took the 2 white window sliders out of the window rail, so I could move the window up or down as needed, and I took the complete lock out. If you find a faster, easier method, let us know.
    I also took this one out and de-dreased it and re-greased it http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/do...kMechanism.htm
    did not drill the rivets open, just cleaned it with brake cleaner
    I may have to pay somebody to install this stupid grommet in, I don't foresee any possible way to install it. My plan is to try and snake the grommet up with the rod hook and try to press it in with a flat heat screw driver into the hole using the access hole that hides the door handle gasket lever.

My Cars
    way too many
    There is an oval shaped plastic plug in the door jam edge of the door which pries out with a knife blade. I had to do this once. Have the door panel off and finess the grommet in place with a long slender screwdriver. Have to work from both the inside of the door and thru the outside access hole at the same time. I put a dab of JB Weld on it after finally getting it in place.
    ​"The US Olympics bobsled team has renamed their sled 'Biden' because nothing has taken America downhill faster"

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo pending
    89 535i 5-spd (may she rest in pieces)
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStigg View Post
    There is an oval shaped plastic plug in the door jam edge of the door which pries out with a knife blade. I had to do this once. Have the door panel off and finess the grommet in place with a long slender screwdriver. Have to work from both the inside of the door and thru the outside access hole at the same time. I put a dab of JB Weld on it after finally getting it in place.
    Any more tips? I got the grommet to the top of the hook, but its slightly curved and I am not finding any way to press it into the hole. Super difficult job......I cannot believe BMW designed such a locking system. Stupidly over-complicated.

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i; 1978 F150
    Quote Originally Posted by youngbimmer View Post
    I may have to pay somebody to install this stupid grommet in, I don't foresee any possible way to install it. My plan is to try and snake the grommet up with the rod hook and try to press it in with a flat heat screw driver into the hole using the access hole that hides the door handle gasket lever.
    It hurts me just a little to pay someone to do stuff like this, but, sometimes the $ far outweighs the stress! Good luck.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    did you remove the outer door handle gasket and the lock ring around the door lock from outside?
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    UPDATE:

I got the ********* grommet seated. I was cursing every engineer who worked on designing this mechanism in the process. I got creative and devised the following procedure:
    1. Remove the lock assembly, remove old black grommet, seat the new one onto the hook. Make sure you also replace the white grommets on the lock assembly
    2. Install the lock back into the door, make sure you hook the arm into the lock actuator hole!
    3. Slide the black grommet up as far as you can. I am lucky with some small hands/fingers, I was able to slide up the grommet all the way up to where it meets its seat.
    4. This is the tricky part. The grommet is now curved as it is on the curved portion of the hook. I used a thin flathead screwdriver between the hook and the actuator seat to "pull" the hook and its grommet close up against the seat. I used the access hole in the door jamb that is protected by the weather plug.
    5. Slide a fat flathead from the lower portion of the hook (where it meets the door lock), and work your way up to the grommet. You will feel some resistance. PUSH. HARD. It took me a couple tries, but it seated into place.

I hope this helps somebody. I did not have to remove the door handle or lock cylinder. You will utter many curse words in the process, so make sure you're not offending anybody in the process.