Thread: Streaks on windshield solved

My Cars
    2015 M5

Moon Streaks on windshield solved

Only had my M5 for a couple of months; love the car, most amazing car I have ever owned; including my 1966 AC 427 Cobra I have tucked away in storage.

The Problem: Each time I washed the car I noticed vertical streaks on the windshield, as if some chemical ran down the windshield from the roof.When wet, it was very difficult to see thru the windshield; the streaks were very prominent. When dry, the streaks were completely invisibleBig problem in the rain.Had a chip repair applied to the windshield by Safelite. The technician tried to remove the streaks but was not successful . . . . .at all. He said he had never seen anything like it and suggested it may be a defect in the windshield. I did not think so, for it looked like a chemical (ie detergent, wax, or polymer sealant, or ceramic coating) ran down the windshield and then dried in place.

Attempts to correct:Windshield washer fluid did nothingRubbing it with your finger did nothing (you could not even feel it)Glass cleaners of many sorts did nothingMr Clean eraser did nothingAcetone did nothingEven a razor blade did nothing

The Solution:I had purchased a Mothers Synthetic Clay Bar to use prior to waxing. It did a wonderful job on paint surface prep and the wax job is amazing.So I tried the Synthetic Clay bar on the windshield, and WaLa: With persistent scrubbing the streaks disappeared, little by little. After about an hour, the drivers side of the windshield is finished. Now for the passenger side. I am not finished with it yet, but much improvement was noticed. Just thought you would like to know
    Last edited by wec5910; 06-26-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    Thanks,
    WEC

2015 M5 Competition
    2000 Nissan Frontier
    1966 AC Cobra

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Nice tip!
    I would also recommend steel wool.
    Yes, steel wool!!
    Use only the finest steel wool grade 0000 or 4/0.

My Cars
    2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Nice tip!
    I would also recommend steel wool.
    Yes, steel wool!!
    Use only the finest steel wool grade 0000 or 4/0.
    I was tempted to use 0000 steel wool, but I found on another forum that someone tried it; it removed the stain, but also left scratch marks; now they have to get their windshield polished
    Thanks,
    WEC

2015 M5 Competition
    2000 Nissan Frontier
    1966 AC Cobra