Thread: Bimmer Bit Me: The Joys of Being the 8th Steward of a 7 Owner M3

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

Bimmer Bit Me: The Joys of Being the 8th Steward of a 7 Owner M3

I made an introduction post several months ago and have been luring ever since. Seeing as how several things have changed with the car since then, I figure it's better late than never to start a bit of a blog on my ownership (or should I stay stewardship) thus far. We'll start with the most recent development and work our way backwards: finding a band-aid that decided to come loose today and reveal a nasty RSM (rear shock mount) failure.
    Last weekend, I was back home visiting family (in particular my brother who flew in for father's day) when I discovered that one of the 7 (yes, SEVEN) prior owners had decided to put a reinforcement plate on top of a failed shock mount/strut tower. I had always heard a slight rattle in the rear of the driver's side but could never track it down. I tried securing trim pieces in the trunk, checked my C-pillar covers, etc. but nothing seemed to remedy it. That was until on my drive back to Michigan from Indiana, I heard what sounded like concrete being pulsed in a blender whenever I encountered the slightest surface variation. I immediately took the next exit on the interstate and upon removal of the drivers side trunk trim panel was greeted with this:

zFC2F3Q.jpg

u4JOfVR.jpg

wcOQ3d2.jpg

The constant rattle I had been hearing must have been my shock rattling in this hole. Upon further investigation the missing nut that should be on the shock mount bolt had been crossthreaded and decided to back itself off. I limped the car back to a friend's place who has a garage full of tools and we chopped/pounded the hold bolt out since we couldn't get it lined up with the reinforcement plate hole and shoved a new one in. What you see below is more or less the fix that a previous owner thought satisfactory once he or she found the tower had failed.

OGYkokZ.jpg

x44ibtf.jpg

I limped the car back to MI and dropped it off at a friend's garage who is an excellent welder. Parts are coming in and I plan on rebuilding the shock assembly (no dust covers, no bump stops, nadda when I took the wheel off to get a better look). I have no idea how long the tower has been in this condition, but the rattle has been there since I purchased the car back in January. Amazing the car has ridden fine the entire time and the shock seems to be unharmed.

Other work that's been done since before the incident include an exhaust swap (finally ditched the magnaflow thanks to another forum member meeting up and exchanging his stock M3 exhaust), all (like) "new" door panels, fan shroud replacement, fluids flushed and replaced, and amber corners. If anyone is looking to get rid of some amber tail lights hit me up! The only sets I've found on eBay are over $100, which is too rich for my blood.

Next on the list is replacing a worn vacuum line I believe to be the source of a rough idle after a cold start, replacing the rear speaker covers and some new floor mats. I will try to post some pics of the interior and other components I mentioned once the car comes back from under the knife.
    Last edited by Cos270; 07-02-2019 at 07:44 AM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Should there be a photo in this post?

There isn't at this point! To share images on the forum, do this.

Upload the image to a image hosting site. (avoid imgur.com as they don't like linking)

Paste the URL of that image into the forum message, or use the INSERT IMAGE icon that appears within the message editor.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    use Flikr for images.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Crap, sorry all. I had used imgur in the past with some success. Will work on re-uploading the pics.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Ouch man, that sucks. Sounds like you're on top of things now though and will get it fixed right.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

Update

Well it's been a while, and I feel bad for not being diligent in keeping this log updated. I have learned so much from the past 6 months or so of ownership and using this site, it feels wrong that I don't give back by posting my own findings and experiences up till now. While most of the things I've worked on are already well documented on this forum and others, I'll still mention everything that's gone down in the last few months in an effort to help others who may run into similar problems.

1. STICKING DRIVERS FRONT CALIPER
    This first reared it's ugly head about a month ago. I started to notice that just before I came to a complete stop, the front brakes would make a high pitched squealing sound; not unlike the sound some brake pads make when they need to be replaced. I inspected the pads and rotors and all seemed good, so I continued to drive it cautiously. Fast forward a couple days and I start to experience intermittent steering wheel shakes and shudders above 50mph. I get back from a short drive and walk past the the driver's front wheel and can feel heat radiating off of the wheel. I kneel down and I can only hold my hand 4-5 inches away from the wheel without my knuckles starting to feel the heat to the point its uncomfortable. Crap. I start by replacing the front brake hoses (which were original) with stainless steel ones. This seemed to fix the problem, but after driving it for a week or so like this, I decided to play it safe and replaced the driver's front caliper with a rebuilt unit from Centric, along with fresh brembo rotors (P/N: 09593511, 09593411) and posi-quiet pads also by Centric.

2. FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINTS
    Oh boy, did I learn a lesson on this one. While I had the front wheels off doing the brake work, I noticed my LCA ball joints were toast. I went on RockAuto and order some MevoTech's for like $75 for a pair. Right around the same time, I noticed several threads that were going on discussing pressing in new ball joints rather than replacing the whole arm. I was baffled that someone would go through all the trouble using a hydraulic press to put in the ball joints that cost the same as the control arm assemblies I had just purchased. Did some more digging and I tumbled down the rabbit hole of LCA geometry differences for M3 vs regular E36 3-series, as well as the different geometry between '95 and '96+ M3's. Seriously BMW, I know the first model year for cars is a test bed of sorts, but there are so many quirks to the '95 cars its a bit silly.
    Anyways, I realize I've probably set myself up for failure with my cheap LCAs, so I go and order a kit form bimmerworld with '95 M3 LCA and offset bushings, in order to get close to the OEM geometry of '96+ LCA with centered bushings. Parts come in, and just before a friend is about to help me throw the new parts on, he says he has a hydraulic press and can just press the old bushings out of the original arms. Great. Luckily there's a local euro parts warehouse about 15 miles from where I live (alleuro.com), so I place an order for some lemforder ball joints (P/N:
    31121126253, 31121126254) and press them in. Car now handles and rides much better.

3. BROKEN FAN CLUTCH
    This one appears to not be an incredibly common failure mode, though I did come across a few posts from owners who experienced something similar. I perform an oil and spark plug change, and after a few miles of driving I noticed a lot more fan/induction noise than I used to. My first thought is that I've overfilled the oil, but after checking the dipstick on both a hot and cold engine, it appears all is normal. I drive for a little more with the same noise (an loud whirring that sounds like an industrial dryer that gets louder as the RPMs increase) and I look under the hood after a drive while the engine is running. I can see the rotational path of the clutch fan is starting to destabilize and get wonky, coming dangerously close to a hose clamp on the coolant hose that runs to the thermostat housing. Alleuro to the rescue again as I order a new Sachs clutch and Uro fan. The next morning, I go out and check underneath the car before I drive to work and notice a small puddle of dark blackish-grey fluid. It super thick, almost like epoxy and has no smell or taste (probably not my smartest move, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't some form of stop-leak). I can't tell if its from my car or someone else's that live in my apartment building, so I cautiously drive to work anyways. That day during lunch, I go out to the parking lot at work, parking in a clean spot with nothing on the ground and I see the same fluid on the ground directly underneath the clutch fan.
    IMG_5065.jpg

IMG_5064.jpg

Uh oh. I limp the car home after work and luckily, my parts have arrived. Replace the old clutch which had given up all of its fluid along with a new fan for good measure. Whirring noise is gone and all is well.

I've gone over the budget I set for myself in the past two months will all the unforeseen repairs, and since I totaled my daily driver, I've been driving the M3 every day. Fingers crossed that it can last on Michigan roads until i get a new daily before winter arrives.
    Last edited by Cos270; 09-07-2019 at 03:17 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Nice car! that crack on the shock tower is nuts. Personally ive never seen that. Look forward to seeing more, post some nice pics of your ride!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

Winter Update

With winter settling in for most of the country, I thought now would be a good time to provide another small update, reflection and a little forecast for the coming year with my M3. January will mark one year of ownership for me and the bimmer. The first year has been relatively pain-free, considering I bought a 22 year old german sports car with not a whole lot of information/experience under my belt beyond what I could absorb from forums such as these and took a one-way flight to see the car before driving it home. The biggest headache during the first year was definitely finding the failed rear shock tower, which was present when I purchased the car, but I failed to notice. Knowing an excellent welder who just so happens to be an ex-professional mechanic turned home mechanic definitely saved my bacon and bank account. All the other work done to the car was nothing out of the ordinary for a car of its age imo (front lower control arm bushings, front brake pads and rotors, fan clutch, ICV hose, upper radiator hose and spark plugs).

As far as I can tell, one of the more recent of the 7 owners that came before me must have dropped some serious cash getting things fixed or up to snuff, because the engine bay was very clean and the only fluid leaks are a bit of oil on the pan, which from what I can tell is from a small leak coming from the oil pan gasket which I plan on addressing soon. This leads me onto my plans for year 2. After getting to know the car a little better, and realizing what my budget allows, as well as what makes sense for where and how the car will primarily be driven (weekends and the occasional drive to work in metro Detroit from late spring to fall), I've settled on bring the car up to a sort of OE+ spec. The powerplant will remain mostly stock; I purchased it with a Dinan intake and stage 2 tune and beyond a more free-flowing exhaust, I don't see myself doing too much more in terms of performance modifications. A list of the mod's I would like to add in the coming year are as follows (in no particular order):

- Trunk lip spoiler (E39 style)
    *Note: I would like to get an original low-style spoiler, but finding one in Boston Green is practically impossible. I have a friend that says he can help me paint one, but I am leery of trying to match the color on a car that has spent 20 years in the Texas sun.
    - HR OE Sport springs to bring the ride height back closer to stock. Currently sitting on HR sport springs and the ride is just too punishing, especially on Michigan roads.
    - I snagged a square set of refinished contours for an amazing price, so once the tires on my staggered set wear out I'll be throwing those on.
    - Depending on the ride height with the new springs, I may play around with the fitment and get some wheel spacers.
    - Possibly recover the seats with new covers from LSeats. I've read mixed reviews from them but most seem to be pretty satisfied. I can't justify the cost of a full reupholster, but the Texas heat was not kind to the leather and its starting to crack in several places.
    - X-brace and possible front strut tower brace if I can find a good deal. I know the X-brace is going to make the most difference, but I kind of like the look of a strut tower brace.
    - Miscellaneous maintenance items that I put off till next year like vanos oil line, valve cover gasket, motor and transmission mounts, some vacuum leaks (built a smoke tester but never got the chance to try it out) and the afore mentioned oil pan gasket.

The bimmer unexpectedly became my daily driver for a few months after I totaled my daily and it performed flawlessly, transporting me reliably on several trips to Indiana and Ohio for job interviews and to visit family. I just replaced my daily today so next year the M3 should see much less use (though just as spirited ). Another big thanks to all who have helped by way of sharing information and advice, the community was one big motivating factor when I decided to take the plunge and make the purchase. Happy holidays to all!
    (And yes, I will try my best to post more pictures. I know people don't like staring at a wall of text )

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    "Went over the budget" said every E36 owner ever....

As someone who replaced my seat covers with ones from LSeat, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. You can search my name. I did a review about 4 months ago or so. I think I'm the 9th or 10th owner of my 99 Vert. Definitely obvious that zero maintenance besides oil changes were done....happens when owners get it for a summer or so and sell it soon after.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Here are a few pics I snapped Christmas day after applying my just-received Lamin-X yellow fog light covers. It was 65 degrees at my folk's place in Indiana so I took the old girl out and ran her through her paces for a bit.

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5681.jpg

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Wow, makes me feel good that I just put reinforcement plates in for the shock towers on mine! Luckily my shock towers looked brand new compared to yours. I hope you get it perfectly sorted out for the coming year, a well sorted e36 is an absolute joy to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    "Went over the budget" said every E36 owner ever....
    It's all about setting the bar high! I purchased my e36 after having owned an e39 M5 and an R56 Mini. By comparison to those two cars, the e36 has been quite cheap and is running more in budget than I anticipated. I purchased a very cheap one with rust on the rear end. Had the rust fixed with a few thousand left over from market value for the miles. Spent the rest on replacing all the rear bushings and upgrading to a Z3 2.7 turns lock to lock rack + x brace.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    Wow, makes me feel good that I just put reinforcement plates in for the shock towers on mine! Luckily my shock towers looked brand new compared to yours. I hope you get it perfectly sorted out for the coming year, a well sorted e36 is an absolute joy to drive.

It's all about setting the bar high! I purchased my e36 after having owned an e39 M5 and an R56 Mini. By comparison to those two cars, the e36 has been quite cheap and is running more in budget than I anticipated. I purchased a very cheap one with rust on the rear end. Had the rust fixed with a few thousand left over from market value for the miles. Spent the rest on replacing all the rear bushings and upgrading to a Z3 2.7 turns lock to lock rack + x brace.
    Yeah, I definitely wet the bed on inspecting the shock towers thoroughly before purchasing the car. Saw the plates and figured that was that, but obviously it was just a bandaid covering up the damage.
    I'm pretty close to getting everything sorted mechanically. Hoping to put off replacing the front/rear subframe bushings till next year, if I keep the car that long. It handles well now, just some little things I'd like to do to make it a little more enjoyable and easy to live with.

On the budget: I set a fairly low monthly budget for myself when I purchased the car, knowing full well that I would more than likely go over during the initial months after purchase. But I'd rather set a more conservative budget and try to stick to it as close as I can, than set a massive budget that I can technically afford, but is more than I would like to spend.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Well, before the impending recession reared its ugly head, I had planned on converting from HR Sport springs over stock front struts and crappy aftermarket rear shocks (don't even know the brand, the tubes are red??) to HR OE Sport over Konis. I've got the new springs, spring pads, Meyle HD front sway bar links, OE lemforder rear end links, new Corteco OE front strut mounts and '95 upper spring plates for the front all sitting in a box in my living room. Was planning on ordering the Konis this week but things have changed... I've got an x-brace that I found on OfferUp several months ago that's all cleaned up and ready to install, but I figured I should probably do engine and trans mounts while I'm in there. May be able to justify the price of the mounts seeing as I can get everything from FCP for about $100. Was planning on getting a rear spoiler painted and redoing the seat covers with ones from LSeat later this summer, but all of that has come to a screeching halt. Will try to update with pics if I end up installing anything.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
    Well, before the impending recession reared its ugly head, I had planned on converting from HR Sport springs over stock front struts and crappy aftermarket rear shocks (don't even know the brand, the tubes are red??) to HR OE Sport over Konis. I've got the new springs, spring pads, Meyle HD front sway bar links, OE lemforder rear end links, new Corteco OE front strut mounts and '95 upper spring plates for the front all sitting in a box in my living room. Was planning on ordering the Konis this week but things have changed... I've got an x-brace that I found on OfferUp several months ago that's all cleaned up and ready to install, but I figured I should probably do engine and trans mounts while I'm in there. May be able to justify the price of the mounts seeing as I can get everything from FCP for about $100. Was planning on getting a rear spoiler painted and redoing the seat covers with ones from LSeat later this summer, but all of that has come to a screeching halt. Will try to update with pics if I end up installing anything.
    No reason not to install the x-brace. It should take you all of 20 minutes if you count getting the front airborne AND putting everything away.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    No reason not to install the x-brace. It should take you all of 20 minutes if you count getting the front airborne AND putting everything away.
    I thought so too, but then I read that if engine mounts are worn or failing (mine are probably worn, but no sign of failure) that the brace can actually contact the oil pan. I live in Michigan, so uneven roads are a given. Didn’t want to risk damaging the pan by having the brace bang against it until I could replace my engine mounts. Unless I’m just over thinking it (totally possible).

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
    I thought so too, but then I read that if engine mounts are worn or failing (mine are probably worn, but no sign of failure) that the brace can actually contact the oil pan. I live in Michigan, so uneven roads are a given. Didn’t want to risk damaging the pan by having the brace bang against it until I could replace my engine mounts. Unless I’m just over thinking it (totally possible).
    I don't know. There's plenty of room, and it seems like you'd be making contact with the front subframe before the brace, but... yeah, I don't know. But I DO know my brace has saved my oil pan on more than one occasion.

Crappy rural blacktop roads in Texas get mushy in the summer heat and can get majorly deformed when big farm trucks haul loads over them (major ruts, almost peaks and valleys). I made contact at 65mph a couple months ago, and my brace took the brunt of it. You can debate whether the front subframe would have protected the pan, but with the brace in place it becomes the first line of defense.

In addition to its... you know, bracing duties.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I don't know. There's plenty of room, and it seems like you'd be making contact with the front subframe before the brace, but... yeah, I don't know. But I DO know my brace has saved my oil pan on more than one occasion.

Crappy rural blacktop roads in Texas get mushy in the summer heat and can get majorly deformed when big farm trucks haul loads over them (major ruts, almost peaks and valleys). I made contact at 65mph a couple months ago, and my brace took the brunt of it. You can debate whether the front subframe would have protected the pan, but with the brace in place it becomes the first line of defense.

In addition to its... you know, bracing duties.
    I've got to do something with the car with all this work-from-home stuff, so I'll probably end up throwing it on. Until i swap out the springs, my car already sits pretty low, so I'll take all the pan protection i can get.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

Suspension Rebuild: H&R OE Sport Springs and Konis

At long last, I've rid myself of the inferior and downright awful suspension setup that came on the car when I purchased it over a year ago. The car was sitting on H&R sport springs with stock Sachs struts (approximately 30K miles on them) and KYB Excel-G shocks (which had an estimated 50K miles on them). The car was severely under-damped; clunked, thudded and rattled over any imperfection in the road, and I practically fell into the car every time I got in. After hours and hours of research and deliberation, I settled on Koni adjustable and H&R OE Sport springs. I wanted an OE+ feel to the car, and wanted the added longevity of the Konnis over the stock Sachs (adjustability doesn't hurt, either). The install process is pretty well-documented, but I managed to take a few pics along the way.

IMG_0167.jpg
    Honestly couldn't believe someone put these on the car. Had never heard of the brand, but did some research and they appear to be pretty unloved (I can see why, now).

IMG_0169.jpg
    One of the previous owners decided to run dual lower spring pads on both sides, rather than source the correct upper pad. The one that is torn was being used incorrectly as an upper. The pads were rock hard and only about 1/3 of their original thickness. Sometimes I'd like to strangle at least 3 of the 7 previous owners

IMG_0163.jpg
    Removing the front struts.

IMG_0177.jpg
    Maintenance records showed that the front strut mounts had been replaced about 30K miles ago, but upon investigation they looked terrible (pretty sure you aren't supposed to be able to see daylight through the bearings...). Lemforder OEM units have been out of stock everywhere for the past several months, but I managed to snag a set of brand new ones from someone on OfferUp a few months ago.

IMG_0174.jpg
    Building the Koni strut units was simple enough. Not much drama in the cutting and drilling of the original housing. When the time came to assemble the units in the car....things got messy. For some reason, when I went to install the strut assembly, all of the bolt holes on the strut were 1/2 to 1 inch below where they needed to be in order to line up with the holes on the knuckles. I broke the assembly down twice, making sure I didn't forget any washer or put something together in the wrong order and things still weren't lining up. This led to a desperate (and non OSHA approved) method of compressing the springs, then compressing the strut and ziptie-ing eveything together in order to decrease the overall height of the assembly. After getting things situated and the bolts loosely tightened, I cut the zipties and the assembly seated itself. This was the only hiccup in the whole process, but it took me about 2 hours of trying to get the new assembly to fit before I gave up and compressed everything.

I went ahead and installed new Meyel HD sway bar links just to be safe, even though the adjustable units that were came with the car seemed to be serviceable. I also replaced the engine mounts, trans mounts and threw the X-brace on. Have put about 100 miles on the new setup and the car feels amazing. Turn-in feels superb and while I can still feel most imperfections in the road, the car communicates what's going on rather than beating you over the head (or your tailbone in this case) with every crack and bump.

Next up is a new 3-spoke steering wheel which should be arriving next week and some LTW/GT corner splitters. The car is finally taking shape into what I want it to become!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    M3 Algonac.jpg

How the car sits after everything has settled. I can learn to love the gap

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Looking good!

Your story reminds me of buying a 9 owner Jeep Comanche in Los Angeles and driving it home to PA. The truck was surprisingly stock with a few modifications that were poorly done to make it better. The main wish on the 3500 mile drive home was that someone hadn't bent a rim making it vibrate at highway speed.