Thread: Clunk... and now the key spins in the door lock :-(

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp

Clunk... and now the key spins in the door lock :-(

Was going to unlock the passenger door with the key [was in a parking lot, with the doors locked] - put the key into the lock from the outside; twisted it as I normally would, there was a clunk, as something inside the door hit the bottom of the door cavity... after which the key now only spins in the lock with no resistance. :-(

But when I went to the driver's door to try to unlock the car, that door unlocked as normally, and the passenger door unlocked, ie, my gentlelady was able to get in without issues.

My question is: what likely fell off [it sounded like it weighed several ounces]?? Maybe the inside of the key lock mechanism? And if that was the case: why would it do such? Are there nuts/bolts that hold it on that can come lose from use? ... this is a '99 2.3 roadster with almost 300k miles... before taking the door apart: I'm seeking what to likely expect in terms of what fell off, and what it'll take to fixing it.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated... ;-)

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Does it eventually lock / unlock if you keep spinning the key?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by solimans View Post
    Does it eventually lock / unlock if you keep spinning the key?

Nope :-(

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    The lock uses an electrical actuator that does the locking. The lock came apart so can't work the actuator, but the actuator still works from the central locking system. Here are threads that show the lock:
    https://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru...-lock-cylinder
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ning-door-lock
    Last edited by Vintage42; 06-26-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2013 Subaru Impreza
    Does anyone know if the issue with my door lock is likely to be the actuator or the door lock cylinder?

Basically the key turns the lock left and right about 90 degrees as normal but nothing happens. Remote fob and the trunk key both lock and unlock all the doors but the driver door doesn’t do anything.

Just curious whether it is the usual lock that falls apart or maybe the actuator?

Thanks

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim010 View Post
    Does anyone know if the issue with my door lock is likely to be the actuator or the door lock cylinder?

Basically the key turns the lock left and right about 90 degrees as normal but nothing happens. Remote fob and the trunk key both lock and unlock all the doors but the driver door doesn’t do anything.

Just curious whether it is the usual lock that falls apart or maybe the actuator?

Thanks
    Your issue is most likely different from Greg's.

I suspect your contact switch has come free or has been disconnected for some reason.

pict0015.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim010 View Post

Thanks

If your key stops at 90 degrees, you don't have the key spinning issue. If the fob works on both doors, then you, most likely, have an electrical issue with the problem door, but it could also be part of the linkage may have come apart. Looks like your door card may be coming off.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.