Thread: Overhauled cooling system, temp needle still past center

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX

Overhauled cooling system, temp needle still past center

Hello all, recently overhauled my entire cooling system with the help of a friend. New behr radiator, new hepu water pump, new coolant expansion tank, new hoses everywhere, new mahle thermostat, new behr expansion tank cap, new viscous fan clutch, new fan blades, new VDO aux fan. Refilled with new green coolant. Still, whenever I drive around for a while, the temperature gauge will eventually settle either just right of the middle mark or in between middle and middle-right tick mark, which is exactly the same behavior as it was on its (believe it or not) all-original cooling system. Is my head gasket on its way out, or is it normal for 88s to show temperature like this (perhaps the buffer zone on the temp needle changed in later model years?). Doesn't matter if AC is on or not, temp needle behaves the same way. Referencing one of Gale's images, mine usually sits at 195 position or very rarely, 223

gauge_overheat.jpg

Build date 12/14/87
    Last edited by youngbimmer; 06-25-2019 at 12:53 AM.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Normal behavior from an m30, in my experience. You say it can go to 223, that is no good. Make sure the system is bled throughly.
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    check the temperature sensor, here the ohm at various centigrades http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-tempsensor.htm
    But in general, as the BMWbeast already mentioned, if it sometimes goes to 223, that is not that good, it should under all conditions stay in the same position. The BMW system has a plateau indication, that means it will stay a long time in the same posiition and only when iy goes out of the programmed value in the cluster chip, the indicator will move, I explained that here http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1245033/
    Do you have another cluster for testing to eliminate the temp gauge as problem?
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    I do not have another cluster to test, I will check readings at temp sensor this weekend. I’m disappointed with the results, especially since I used all OEM parts. Perhaps my head gasket is ready to die, even though there is no evidence of oil-coolant mixture before or after the overhaul. Could it be a bad thermostat? My friend drilled a small hole in the thermostat to help bleed air better.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Is there a return flow thru the hose to the expansion tanK? http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_19.htm
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    I would check the real temp at the thermostat area and at the water pump with a non contact thermometer or infra red thermometer, harbor freight has them, and so does amazon. In the jeep world notorious for the volatile mind of our gauges this is the customary way to calibrate the temp gauge.
    On our 740 the gauge is dead center, even with ac on and outside temp at 108F like we had some years ago going to LA

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Is there a return flow thru the hose to the expansion tanK? http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_19.htm
    Yes, I actually forgot to tighten this hose when I initially connected it to the radiator and it was leaking fluid so I know it is not clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by letank View Post
    I would check the real temp at the thermostat area and at the water pump with a non contact thermometer or infra red thermometer, harbor freight has them, and so does amazon. In the jeep world notorious for the volatile mind of our gauges this is the customary way to calibrate the temp gauge.
    On our 740 the gauge is dead center, even with ac on and outside temp at 108F like we had some years ago going to LA
    I will use that HF 25% off coupon for one of those IR thermometers to get a real reading.