Thread: Need help with older E34 that has been sitting.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i

Exclamation Need help with older E34 that has been sitting.

Hi guys, I recently acquired a 1995 525i that has been sitting for around 9 years and I needed to do some things to it but I don't know what all I need to do.
    This is a list of what I know i need to do but I want to know what else I can do to get it running.

Change oil and filter (Done)
    Change coolant - I have a different type of radiator from all the videos I have been watching so I have no idea what to do and I would like some help for my radiator specifically and I can provide more information.
    New battery
    turn over engine manually to get oil in the cylinders - how do I do this?

thank you, I might have other questions but I could really use help with this. thanks.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    I can post pictures if that helps.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    To turn the engine over manually, put a socket on the crankshaft bolt and turn it. Removing the plugs will save you fighting the compression. With the plugs out, you can also spray a little penetrating oil into the cylinders.

If you mean that your radiator doesn't have a drain plug, disconnect the bottom hose to drain. There is also a drain plug on the block (under the exhaust manifold).

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    my radiator is just completely different from others shown in videos, i dont have a part on it like this: Capture.JPG mine just has a normal radiator like you would find on other cars so I don't know how to go about changing coolant and refilling it and all that.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that part is called the expansion tank and I know mine has one but it looks different and I dont know where it is
    v

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap

Need help with older E34 that has been sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmart180 View Post
    my radiator is just completely different from others shown in videos, i dont have a part on it like this: Capture.JPG mine just has a normal radiator like you would find on other cars so I don't know how to go about changing coolant and refilling it and all that.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that part is called the expansion tank and I know mine has one but it looks different and I dont know where it is
    v
    That expansion tank was for v8 models. The 6 cylinder models had expansion tanks in a different location. Look up e34 525i coolant flush and it will show up. If its a pre 92 i think then its m20 if its after then its m50.

Edit: Just realized you said 1995 in your post so m50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fresco34; 06-25-2019 at 02:39 AM.

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap
    Also if it’s been sitting for 9 years chances are every single thing made of plastic will need to be replaced. Ie the entire cooling system among many other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    The older cars have the firewall mounted expansion tank. Yours will be attached to the radiator, and made of plastic. You should have a bleed screw on the bottom of the radiator, bottom left? Don’t forget the other, hard to find one on the block, near the exhaust manifold. You will have to go by feel. After that, unscrew the cap up top, and fill er up. Make sure to read up on bleeding the system, like said above, I would recommend a complete hose (and water pump if it hasn’t been touched!) change for years of worry free motoring.

Most people just pull the fuel pump relay, and crank to build oil pressure before awakening from a deep slumber. I would do that in addition to whiskeychasers penetrating oil.
    Also check plugs, change if you feel needed. M50s are simple, modern motors. You shouldn’t have any trouble if nothing serious grounded the car for 9 years...

Post pictures, and welcome!
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    For future reference it is better to start on the existing oil unless it is contaminated. Draining the oil and changing the filter causes the pump to lose it's prime. When starting an engine that hasn't run for a very long time you want it to be lubricated as quickly as possible.
    Check the air intake tract for critters and their nests.
    Removing the valve cover and dousing all the valve gear and cam shaft with oil is helpful as these are the last components to see oil and after 9 years are no doubt dry.
    Remove spark plugs out and put ~ a spoonful of light oil into each cylinder, disable the fuel pump and crank the starter with the plugs out. Hopefully long enough to extinguish the oil pressure warning light which tells you oil has circulated where it needs to be. Give the starter a break after 30 seconds or so if needed.
    Re-install plugs and fuel pump relay. Fresh fuel and watch carefully for fuel leaks as all the rubber hoses and connections will be suspect.
    Good luck, it's some effort but with fresh fuel ought to fire up without drama.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    thank you all for the information I will post pictures as soon as I can!

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    clean your fuel system. wouldn't want to wash out a cylinder with a bad/stuck injector. take a peak in the tank through the trunk and see how it looks. 9 years is a long time. the whole thing should be gone through. check the shielding on your harness wires/grounds. sensor wires on the engine can get stiff and fall apart and whatever they're connected to could stop working properly. you should also check to make sure none of the plastic connectors are crumbling either and the pins aren't shorting on each other.