Thread: Is my window motor dead?

My Cars
    E36 vert, e92

Is my window motor dead?

Ok my drivers window has been giving me trouble. Before today it will stop halfway up, i would have to grab it with my hand and pull on it for it to continue on up. Today its stopped completely dead fully up. I took the door panel off, looks like sliders are good and the actuator arms are not bent. When i hit the switch I hear the motor make a click but no movement. I cant use my hand to move the actuator or the window up or down. When I touch the switch thatbmakes the window move up and down .5 inch on the door latch I can hear the click but no movement. Im thinking the motor is bad. Has anyone had this trouble?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Motors are made to stop and reverse a bit when under abnormal pressure. This is a safety thing so when you leave your hand/finger etc in the window it doesn't just keep rolling up and smashing the body part. The only lubrication in the window system is where the actuator arms with white bushings meet the window track. The front and rear side of the window just rides in a dry track. Try lubing everything up. If that does not help, it's time for a new motor.
    I have a bunch if needed. You will need to drill out your rivets. Most people replace the rivets with small bolt/nuts because the rivet is an odd size and harder to find. Plus not everyone has a rivet gun.
    Greg
    410-967-617 zero

My Cars
    E36 vert, e92
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    Motors are made to stop and reverse a bit when under abnormal pressure. This is a safety thing so when you leave your hand/finger etc in the window it doesn't just keep rolling up and smashing the body part. The only lubrication in the window system is where the actuator arms with white bushings meet the window track. The front and rear side of the window just rides in a dry track. Try lubing everything up. If that does not help, it's time for a new motor.
    I have a bunch if needed. You will need to drill out your rivets. Most people replace the rivets with small bolt/nuts because the rivet is an odd size and harder to find. Plus not everyone has a rivet gun.
    Greg
    410-967-617 zero
    Thanks greg! Today I drove the car and the window is back to normal. It will go down smoothly but it hangs at a few places going up. All the rails and regulator looks straight. It does need lube though. Where it hangs, i need to grab the window and pull it up with my hand then it goes on up. Action going down is very smooth. BUT... when it gets hung going up It sounds like the gears are slipping. Like a buzzzzzzx and crunching. Im thinking its the plastic bushing maybe?? Can I just replace that part? Im going to lube it up at lunch and see how that helps me

My Cars
    E36 vert, e92
    Used 5th wheel grease and put it all over all the rails. Made sure everything was good and greased. No dice. Still hanging and making a crunching grunding noise at the motor when it sticks.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    The crunching is the motor gear not meshing correctly with the actuator. Something is bent or the gears are stripping. There is no plastic gear in that equation. Look closely at the splines on the actuator. It's probably worn out. They wear out before the motors.

My Cars
    E36 vert, e92
    I had watched a youtube from a guy who said there is a plastic bushing that holds the motors gears in place withe the regulators gear. It wears out and the teeth misalign. A new bushing was $6. Im going to try the cheapest fix first and go from there

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Yeah, there's a bushing, I think a new regulator will come with one, I had one that came with an extra metal bushing but it was the wrong size. I think you just need to replace the regulator. Stop using the window till you get a new one. Also don't buy the cheapest one, it will be crap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eric93se; 06-28-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    BMW M3
    What is better solution after removing the regulator, using small screws or rivets and what is the rivet type/size?
    Rivet gun is not that expensive but knowing the correct rivet type and size appears more challenging.