Thread: Question about screws for the side skirts

My Cars
    2001 BMW E38 740i

Question about screws for the side skirts

Hey all. I recently had to take off the side skirts from my car to replace the clips as I had waves on both sides. Unfortunately the previous owner had done some screwy (haha) things whenever he put the skirts on last time and used wrong screws to secure the skirt to the bottom of the car. I've read Magnum's great DIY for the side skirts and it was useful. I just want to confirm the locations of the screws on the side skirts. I'm afraid of accidentally blocking off a drain channel or something under there. I would also appreciate it someone could get me the part numbers for the 10mm screws for the side skirt. I tried looking at realoem however there are no screws listed on the diagram for the e38 side skirts, just the expanding rivets and the plastic clips. I was missing the screws for both side skirts closest to the rear wheel and the fronts had 8mm screws. One side skirt even had a 1.5 inch philips head screw in the front so I can't really trust what I found.

Anyway I put up a pic of the side skirt, please let me know if the placements are correct/ if I'm missing something.
    https://imgur.com/a/3H01Vue

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    #5 in the diagram...although its a clip...its not plastic...its a threaded clip. You can click on the little camera icon at the far right of its line in the part database (on realoem.com) and see exactly what it looks like.

You can click the direct link below (to the diagram) then click on the little camera icon at the far right of item #5 and see if that is the size screw you're looking for.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 BMW E38 740i
    Thank you for taking the time to provide an answer. Unfortunately I was referring to the screws that are meant to secure the side skirts to the under body of the car, specifically the 10 mm metal screws Magnum mentions in his DIY. He mentions there should be 3 of these on each side, 2 in the front and one in the rear. The PO was missing these screws in the back of the side skirts so they were not secured to the rear wheel liners properly and this let in all sorts of crud that led to rusting at actual rocker panel on both sides. I also wanted to confirm if the placements I labelled for the screws in the image were correct as there's two extra openings unaccounted for (circled in blue in the OP imgur link). I don't know if these are screw holes or are drain passages as Magnum's guide does not make any mention of them.

Thank you again for helping, I appreciate it none the less.
    Last edited by RXZero; 06-24-2019 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I think the bottoms are held on by these expanding rivets, number four here:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3675

Not sure of quantity or drain holes since mine appears to be missing a few too. I still need to tackle this job to re-fix the flapping loose front of the skirt.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI