Thread: 325ci budget daily

My Cars
    None :(

325ci budget daily

This is my 2001 E46 325ci daily driven drift car.
    specs:
    18x8 et-7 fronts with 225/40r18 tires
    godspeed coilovers 12k spring rate
    -4 camber, 7.1 caster, .1 toe out.
    no sway bars
    stock engine (still has the sap and stock intake)
    oem clutch/fw
    oem motor/trans mounts/guibo/csb
    18x8 et20 rears 215/40r18 tires
    10k rear spring rate
    -.5 camber, .1 toe in.
    dual calipers with hydro
    condor speed shop RTABS
    partsshopmax rear subframe and differential bushings
    new oem ball joints
    welded 3.46 differential
    muffler delete

right now the car feels pretty good for dallying, but on track it takes a lot of throttle to keep the tires spinning at 45 cold psi. I'm thinking i need to run smaller tires, and maybe some performance mods. also I've been fixing to get some silvers coilovers, with the true rear setup, but I'm not sure if i should go with a stiffer or softer spring rate for my setup. any suggestions on spring rates? will headers make a huge difference? should i upgrade the clutch before suspension?48079524381_d4aacf3dcf_o.jpg

My Cars
    LS E46
    10k is way too soft for rears with 12k fronts. I can tell you’re getting your rates from 240 guys. This is not a 240. The suspension, weight and weight distribution is completely different. BMW’s springs do not act directly on the hub like a 240, they act on the control arm, ~25% of the spring’s force is pushing on the subframe which means the spring needs to be ~25% stiffer. And then with you being severely underpowered, you want them to be even stiffer. You should be running 14-16k in the back. Once your power and skill levels increase, then you can begin softening up the rear to give you more grip and speed.

Also toe out a bit in the rear and 0 the camber, makes the car much easier to slide
    Last edited by Liquidity; 06-23-2019 at 02:55 PM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    25% is being nice. It's closer to 45% lol.

It's a 325, it'll never slide easily. Swap it!

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Liquidity- Never heard of toe out in the rears helping slide- does it just reduce effective grip overall? I know toe in gives you more, so it seems like the opposite would be true. My suspension in 7k front, 8k rear, BC BR coils. I love how compliant it is over rough sections, and on elevation changes.

OP- if your clutch is slipping, then change it out. I'm currently drifting my 3rd season on an oem clutch in my 330. You could go to 205's to break them loose easier, but it'd probably be better to learn to slide with momentum. The 330 doesn't have THAT much more power than the 325, but I understand the better torque curve definitely helps. Didnt the x3 come with a 3.91 that's swappable or something?

In general, the best way to "add power" is to lose weight! I dropped over 400 lbs from my 330i's interior and god damn it's a much less viable daily, but it slides a HECK of a lot better.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    LS E46
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Liquidity- Never heard of toe out in the rears helping slide- does it just reduce effective grip overall? I know toe in gives you more, so it seems like the opposite would be true.
    The rear alignment has the most effect on the way a car handles. Whatever way the outside rear tire is pointed, that is the direction the rear end will naturally try to follow; point that tire in - the rear end tucks in, point it out and it steps out.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    most stock bmws around here are running more like 60-80psi cold

My Cars
    actually godspeed could come stock with 10k rears for whatever reason, but how soft can i go in the rear with a 12k front rate for more grip once i want to step down from 16k because i do plan on getting 16k for the rear

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Liquidity- Never heard of toe out in the rears helping slide- does it just reduce effective grip overall? I know toe in gives you more, so it seems like the opposite would be true. My suspension in 7k front, 8k rear, BC BR coils. I love how compliant it is over rough sections, and on elevation changes.

OP- if your clutch is slipping, then change it out. I'm currently drifting my 3rd season on an oem clutch in my 330. You could go to 205's to break them loose easier, but it'd probably be better to learn to slide with momentum. The 330 doesn't have THAT much more power than the 325, but I understand the better torque curve definitely helps. Didnt the x3 come with a 3.91 that's swappable or something?

In general, the best way to "add power" is to lose weight! I dropped over 400 lbs from my 330i's interior and god damn it's a much less viable daily, but it slides a HECK of a lot better.
    it isn’t slipping (yet) but i’m nervous it will start to one day as i don’t really know how old it is. and i want to gut my interior but it is my daily right now ahah.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    most stock bmws around here are running more like 60-80psi cold
    60-80 sounds super dangerous ahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    10k is way too soft for rears with 12k fronts. I can tell you’re getting your rates from 240 guys. This is not a 240. The suspension, weight and weight distribution is completely different. BMW’s springs do not act directly on the hub like a 240, they act on the control arm, ~25% of the spring’s force is pushing on the subframe which means the spring needs to be ~25% stiffer. And then with you being severely underpowered, you want them to be even stiffer. You should be running 14-16k in the back. Once your power and skill levels increase, then you can begin softening up the rear to give you more grip and speed.

Also toe out a bit in the rear and 0 the camber, makes the car much easier to slide
    actually godspeed sells their coils with those spring rates, i got them secondhand. i was planning on going up to 16 for the rear, but how soft can i go once im ready to go down from that while keep the front at 12? or should i just go down equally front to back

My Cars
    LS E46
    That’s because godspeed is just another typical budget taiwan brand. They’re not a real suspension company.

As far as how soft you should eventually go, that’s up to you and what you need or can even utilize dependent on your power and skill.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Find a similar car. Mimic it. 60-80psi isn't that dangerous. Lots of drifters run it that way. Make sure to air down as you go to get more life out of your tires.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?