Thread: opinions/suggestions on wheel color

My Cars
    00 540i

opinions/suggestions on wheel color

I bought my 540 with the wheels already on it. I love the design, but I think the center section is too dark and you lose the details of the design as it all kind of hides away. I was considering a lighter color or a different color entirely. I'm not sure I want to go with silver. It looks good but it's common. I was thinking maybe a darker gold or lighter bronze? I really don't know and am having a hard time picturing any other colors on the car in all honesty. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of anthracite cars with rims in other colors besides silver and gray? My googlefu isn't very good. Hell, I'm having a hard time finding the thread with all the pictures of E39s with various rims on it.

I appreciate the input.

Thanks
    ~Trey

00 540i/M6 Forgelines, M-pars, and boom, Oh my.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Anthracite gray.

My Cars
    00 540i
    That's basically the color they are now. Maybe a couple shades darker. The rims aren't black.

Thanks for the reply
    ~Trey

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Never cared for dark wheels because "you lose the details of the design as it all kind of hides away". I'd say silver would be my choice but you probably are looking for something different.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Silver or gray. Anything else is ghetto.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    IMHO the issue you're having is that the grey in the rim is fighting the body color hue. Go deep satin black (or bright black) or a brake dust color (EG very light anthracite or off-silver)
    Another thing I don't particulary like is that you have shadowline and the rim lip is polished aluminum. I'd like the top trim on each door chromeline with everithing else shadowline, for a rim with the polished lip.

My car with M5 satin black finished rims: I think this has the opposite issue: it would look better if I finish the whole shadowline thing. So I'll be installing black centers Style 42's with mirror polished rims.

Last edited by jicaino; 06-23-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    00 540i
    I appreciate the replies everyone. I actually did a google search for "anthracite e39" and started finding pictures with aftermarket rims. I came across a few with BBS rims that had their centers coated in a color BBS calls diamond black. It's basically a tinted clear. I thought that looked pretty good. It stays silver but mutes the color a bit so it looks different but doesn't lose it's shine.

Makes me wonder what a similar affect with gold would look like. I mention that because I like the BBS gold. I just don't think it would look good against the anthracite.

Keep the suggestions and thoughts coming if you have them.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Sovereign540; 06-23-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    ~Trey

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Silver - the current color causes that odd whitewall effect. I’m also not a fan of dark colored wheels.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yep, dark wheels on an E39 are ghastly stancetard ugly. I'm a classic silver wheel kind of guy, all these black wheels on a once classy looking E39 just screams kiddy craptard taste in my book.
    So stock bright German silver wheels for the norm, want a classy custom look? Leave the lips polished, powder coat the centers either silver, or a gunmetal grey, in a milspec flat finish, want to go slightly off my usual silvers, do a light bronze flat finish, glossy just shows that you are trying too hard. Gold went out like a used tampon from the '80's.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Gold went out like a used tampon from the '80's.
    I'm gonna have to make sure I'm not taking a drink of anything whenever I read your posts. I almost shot my drink out of my nose from laughing so hard!!!
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3 Imola Red
    Yep, dark wheels on an E39 are ghastly stancetard ugly. I'm a classic silver wheel kind of guy, all these black wheels on a once classy looking E39 just screams kiddy craptard taste in my book.
    So stock bright German silver wheels for the norm, want a classy custom look? Leave the lips polished, powder coat the centers either silver, or a gunmetal grey, in a milspec flat finish, want to go slightly off my usual silvers, do a light bronze flat finish, glossy just shows that you are trying too hard. Gold went out like a used tampon from the '80's.
    Totally agree with this...I might have phrased it differently but he's spot on.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    You actually made me shoot my brew out of my nose.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I've never received more compliments on the car than with those IMHO butt ugly black M5 wheels on it. (no other change than that) I like the style 33s it came with.
    The reason that I sort of considered a black center on them is because I sent out the oem wheels to repair and the hues in the silver coating looks f'd with my TiAg car. Too shiny, pearl size too big... I need to find an aftermarket wheel paint that looks good with TiAg or just colormatch them centers to body color. Just thought of that and it's what I might end up doing.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"