Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: [E39] Bluetooth audio ibus project (Any experts on arduino/bluetooth/AVRCP/coding?)

My Cars
    BMW 530da Touring 2003

Exclamation [E39] Bluetooth audio ibus project (Any experts on arduino/bluetooth/AVRCP/coding?)

Hi,

I have taken on a project (started a few years ago) where the goal was to be able to listen to music in my 2003 E39 on the aux input but via a bluetooth audio reciever, and be able to use the steering wheel controls to skip songs. While playing on the aux input. The reason i wanted to do that, is because i wanted to keep the stock navigation, and the stock cd changer (wich i have changed to a mp3 cd changer btw).

I know there are a lot of devices that does all i want to do, but you cant keep your cd changer. And thats the whole point, i want to keep everything as stock as possible.

After ALOT of searching, reading, asking on forums, learning basics of arduino coding etc (huge thanks to ian332isport on the arduino forum!) i managed to get this thing put together and working.

The skip backwards is sometimes a bit laggy, but i have adjusted the timing so that it works better today.
    It does not double skip backwards that often now. Only if you push to fast and to many times.

Here is the first test in my car:
    (yello led is for skip forward, red is backwards)

This is at a later point, moved away from breadboard design:

This is basically how it is today (swapped the bluetooth module to one with better sound quality):

I have made my own circuite board where i was supposed to mount a "standalone" arduino, and the rest of it, but after i recieved it from the factory i must have done something wrong as i keep getting
    disturbed ibus signal. The arduino and signals coming from it works fine tho. Im no electician, and i dont know much about resistors etc. But i have come a long way.
    Im sure there is a much more effective way of making this, without the arduino, but i dont know. And its pretty hard to google it to as i dont know what to search for.

I was hoping i might stumble upon someone that has a genuine interest in E39 and might find this project interesting, wich has knowlage of how to make this simpler and maybe more functional.
    I would also love to get the ID3 tags to show up on the navigation screen. That would be so awsome!

The arduino code im using (wich i got from ian332isport, and modified to suite my project) has this functionality, i think. But the problem as i have understood is that you cant have more then two devices
    communicating over serial bus at the same time. And as the arduino uses serial connection to the ibus adapter, i cant have serial from a bluetooth module sending metadata into the ibus also.
    So the arduino is limiting this i think.

All these chinese HU's can do it, so it should be possible to make it as a standalone that connects to the ibus i would think, if you know what parts is needed and all that..

Hope you find my project interesting, and i would love to hear what you think of it. Im sure im not the only one who loves e39, and want to add more functionality but still keeping it stock.
    I bought mine in january 2010, so im an old timer when it comes to e39 :P (Its a 530d M-Sport if anyone wonders )

Regards from Norway!
    Last edited by Alpejohn; 06-23-2019 at 07:27 AM.