Thread: drive shaft

My Cars
    turbo e36 m3/ stock s50/e30 m3

drive shaft

I've been searching for stronger drive line since I just got a hold of a 210mm differential. I see where dssonline offers one but people who have them complain about vibrations at higher speeds.. What other alternative is there?

96 M3, GT4094R, Arrow Rods, CP Pistons, Elring HG, cutring 87mm, 10 mm ARP studs,MS3pro, EMC Intercooler, n54 6 speed with Motiv twin disk, ZT-2 wideband, Zionsville Radiator, X-brace, H&R springs with bilstien shocks, QTP electronic cutout, Line Locks, stock exhaust 455rwtq, 453rwhp at 14 psi 91 octane.......684rwtq, 681rwhp at 24 psi running flex fuel E60 at time of dyno tune.

My Cars
    are slow.
    That's odd. I had a driveshaft from them in my Mustang, zero issues. A friend of mine has a carbon fiber shaft and upgraded axles on his E90 335i (around 700whp), and zero vibrations as well. Just as a note; my friend sheared his axle by DSS, and they had a new axle sent out to him as a replacement really fast.
    Last edited by Hova; 06-23-2019 at 03:53 AM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have had 3 DSS shafts on my E36M3 over the years and dislike all due to vibration. It replaced the front guibo with a solid adapter and ujoint so there is nothing to reduce vibration.

CF helps absorb vibration. A shorter shaft will reduce vibration— with a 6 speed the shaft is about 6” or 15% shorter. Some DSS shafts use front and rear cv joints. This would help. But DSS has never offered that for the E36. Only for the E90M3 as far as I know.

Custom is an option. But few have done custom. Not sure whether a guibo would hold up on the dragstrip with a high power car.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I have had 3 DSS shafts on my E36M3 over the years and dislike all due to vibration. It replaced the front guibo with a solid adapter and ujoint so there is nothing to reduce vibration.

CF helps absorb vibration. A shorter shaft will reduce vibration— with a 6 speed the shaft is about 6” or 15% shorter. Some DSS shafts use front and rear cv joints. This would help. But DSS has never offered that for the E36. Only for the E90M3 as far as I know.

Custom is an option. But few have done custom. Not sure whether a guibo would hold up on the dragstrip with a high power car.

Interesting, was the center sleeve replaced and was it used in the DSS shaft?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=26_0108

E92 335i uses a rubber guibo as well, lots of them well north of 600whp.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Since we’re on the topics of drive shafts, I’m having a 1 piece made here shortly. I found the Sonnax CV to 1350 U-Joint adapter but it says that it only fits the 210mm CV joint, does anyone know if the Non-M E46 CV joint is the same size as the 210mm CV ?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Interesting, was the center sleeve replaced and was it used in the DSS shaft?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=26_0108. 26117526611

E92 335i uses a rubber guibo as well, lots of them well north of 600whp.
    No center sleeve on a one piece driveshaft.

I don’t know the 335i driveshaft well. It makes sense it would be stronger than an E36 shaft due to the added power and torque. I doubt 600 rwhp 335i that drag race in drag radials are running stock shafts, but don’t know for sure. You can do highway pulls and run street tires on a 500 rwhp E36 turbo with a stock shaft. Big difference from launching on drag radials in terms of stress.

It might be possible to retain a guibo. I was not sure so I decided not to risk it when having my DSS shaft customized.

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Its all about driveshaft angle, I had a dss, worked fine, did vibrate at 60-80.

Now i have a custom driveshaft with 1350 ujoints and a slip yoke at the front, 1 piece, no vibrations over 200.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You are running a tremec magnum, which is a pretty long transmission. I think vibration relates to driveshaft length, and your shaft is shorter than a ZF320 shaft and also shorter than a 420G or GS6-53 shaft.

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by m3boost View Post
    I've been searching for stronger drive line since I just got a hold of a 210mm differential. I see where dssonline offers one but people who have them complain about vibrations at higher speeds.. What other alternative is there?
    I think this was a few years back. I had one of the drivershafts with a vibration. I sent it back to them and they rebuilt it and balanced it with a new process/machine. They added a rear CV joint instead of a u-joint. Still good to this day and vibration free.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    6 speed or 5 speed? I have had 2 DSS 5 speed shafts made after DSS supposedly fixed issues with the earlier shafts and both were no fun to drive due to vibration. I think the most recent is from 2 or 3 years ago and is also foam filled. Both had rear CV joint and front ujoint. But they did not break.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    The guibo absorbs a lot of the power pulses that come from the engine. I find that with an unsprung clutch/solid flywheel, the DSS and a combo of solid and poly bushings in the rear that the sound/vibration does not inspire confidence at high speeds and is especially horrible between 2000 and 3000 rpm during normal driving. You do kind of get use to it but it’s not enjoyable. I recently swapped in a modified stock driveshaft and new guibo along with a muffler I modified that has a boost actuated valve on one of the outlets and it is massively more enjoyable to cruise around in. The power pulses still make it into the transmission through the unsprung clutch/solid flywheel so I can still hear that sound a bit but the guibo kills most of it that gets to the diff.

The modified stock driveshaft will need more frequent inspections for twisting/cracking of the forward flange, especially if I take it to the drag strip.

My Cars
    Ok, been in contact with dss online through email and this is what they responded. "Okay so what I need you to do for this is take measurements from the face of the diff flange to the back of your hub bearing and also source out some oem e36 m3 axles because we use the cv housing and put our internals inside of them"

I'm basically lost here.. what hub bearing?

96 M3, GT4094R, Arrow Rods, CP Pistons, Elring HG, cutring 87mm, 10 mm ARP studs,MS3pro, EMC Intercooler, n54 6 speed with Motiv twin disk, ZT-2 wideband, Zionsville Radiator, X-brace, H&R springs with bilstien shocks, QTP electronic cutout, Line Locks, stock exhaust 455rwtq, 453rwhp at 14 psi 91 octane.......684rwtq, 681rwhp at 24 psi running flex fuel E60 at time of dyno tune.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    It reads like DSS thinks you are asking for a set of their axles. I have a set and they are good, but you can send yours to Butters and he can rebuild them with heavier duty parts for less than DSS charges. John at CES races on Butters built axles.

You were lucky to get a response from DSS, even if it was the wrong response. CES could not get a response when we were trying to get DSS to make a new shaft for the E36 with 210 diff conversion and GS6-53 trans conversion. DSS did not return phone calls or email and calls put on hold were not picked up. After waiting a month, I had to give up on DSS for this project and come up with my own solution (which is not to get a new shaft but rather to convert my existing 5 speed shaft to the larger output flange of the GS6-53 (it is 105mm not 96mm like the ZF320 and 420G) and to shorten it.

For those starting from scratch, you will have to either go fill custom — and a good shop can do that — or be patient until DSS gets around to this project. Or find another shop that is more responsive and interested in working with this. 22RPD sold 10 GS6-53 kits and none of them will be putting the power down off the line on drag radials without a heavy duty shaft. A few are driving on hybrid stock shafts and reportedly doing fine on street tires, which don’t put the power down off the line, or on highway pulls where traction is not as much of an issue and the torque multiplication is much less.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Drag C4 Auto
    I made some cool 1350 to 6 bolt flange yokes...I believe Frank has one....holding up to 1000 wheel?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtruOCsH...=1qzqry5kk97po
    GDM ENGINEERING

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Nice. If the ends are available for the chosen trans and diff, then a custom shaft is no big deal for a local shaft shop.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by zemaestro View Post
    I made some cool 1350 to 6 bolt flange yokes...I believe Frank has one....holding up to 1000 wheel?

Forgive my ignorance, but this connects to the stock ZF transmission how exactly?
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    ok..apparently for some reason after I had mentioned that I was looking for a drive shaft and even sent a picture of my 6 bolt drive line mating with the 210 mm differential, they thought I was looking for axles. So my email was cc to another person and this is what he responded with.."I'll need the length measurement from the flange to the diff flange where the bolts go. I also need to confirm the hole-to-hole measurements on the transmission flange and diff flange. Most of the 210 diffs will be a direct fit 108mm CV, the bolt pattern on that should be 94 mm (3.7")."

I thought DSS already had that info since mine isn't the first one they've custom made..

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You are at least getting a response from DSS that is now on point. Yes, DSS does have the information already somewhere but it is safest if you give it to them again. Otherwise they could confuse your 210 6 bolt with another one or even a 188mm 6 bolt. I don’t think they are familiar with BMWs.

A steel diff flange to 108mm CV adapter plate is used on the DSS 210mm diff shaft that I have been using on my E36. It would be great if DSS could improve the shaft by doing away with the adapter. It might be possible. The one piece carbon fiber mfactory/jfiber E90M3 shaft that I have been using on my E90M3 is a direct fit to that car’s 6 bolt 210 diff — no adapter.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Drag C4 Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but this connects to the stock ZF transmission how exactly?
    This is 1350 u-joint to 6 bolt 210mm diff flange for cars using a trans with front slip yoke, ie...c4, glide, th400 or Tremec....
    GDM ENGINEERING

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by zemaestro View Post

Beautiful piece, thank you again!

1080whp