Thread: Coding for Cd Changer HELP

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Coding for Cd Changer HELP

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post and it's a doozy! I am the new owner of a 2006 Z4 Roadster. I bought it for my wife and have done a few things to it already (a few cosmetic things and some service items as well). I'll post some pics at some point soon once I figure my current issue out (with your help hopefully).

She has the business CD with analog DSP (amp has no coax output). The vin indicates that it has the CD Changer prep and I have confirmed this by tearing apart the back console to find the stupid wires taped underneath, lol. They now reside in the trunk for easy access. I have bought a Grom BT-3 for her and have hooked it up but I have no sound. According to Grom, it needs to be coded to work.

So....in the interest of NOT having to pay BMW $300.00 to do this for me, I bought a programming cable and soldered pins 7&8 together and downloaded and installed Mike's Easy package and now I need help

I am lost on coding, I have watched a few vids but it doesn't look like what I see on my laptop. Can anyone help me with how to get to the right module and modify it to "aktiv"? I am using NCS Dummy but this dummy can't understand what to do

I know this is a hell of a post for a newbie but I guess I really am THAT daft to not be able to understand this. I used my Bavarian Technic to reset the battery but that was easy, this coding stuff has me frustrated so I hope someone can walk me through it.

Thanks SO much for any and all help!

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    So....after piddling around with things I figured it out. It was a PITA but it's done. If there is interest on how I was able to get it done I will be glad to share.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Ok, here's where we are at. I did manage to get the Grom to work BUT it doesn't stay working Keep in mind it is NOT the Grom's fault. It's a coding issue as you'll find out in a bit.

As said already, this whole programming thing is new to me but I have learned a little and applied it to my situation. To recap, it's the business cd that was prepped for a cd changer. It is DSP but not the Carver DSP (amp has no coax). It has 6 speakers, not counting the door tweeters. One of the things that I did was load the RAD ecu and processed it and read it and it saved as a FSW_PSW.TRC which once opened I found a line in it that had a reference to the cd changer dsp and below it was WERT_00 so, not really knowing what it would do, I changed it to WERT_01 and saved it as FSW_PSW.MAN and then chose sg_codieren and executed the job. It saved fine.

I then cycled the key, loaded Pandora on my phone and FINALLY....I had audio! The steering controls still did not work, so I watched a few more vids, read A LOT more about changing the VO so I read the VO, deleted the cd changer preparation code for my car $692 and added the cd changer code $672 and wrote that to the ecu. This gave me "next and previous" capability on the steering wheel.

So far all seems good right?

Well, for whatever reason, the VO changes have stayed the same BUT the RAD change (WERT_00 to WERT_01) keeps disappearing after I turn off the radio and let it sit for a few minutes. It's like something is reprogramming it back the way it was and the only way I can get the audio back is open up the RAD file, make the chages, save it to the ECU (SG_CODIEREN) and cycle the key. Works great as long as it's on. If I turn it off and come back 5 minutes later, it has reset again back to WERT_00. It is SO frustrating!

So, I still need help! What am I missing? Why is it resetting, is there something else in the VO that needs changing so it'll leave the damn RAD alone? LOL

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I almost hate to post this as I am worried I might jinx myself, lol. I think that I have it resolved FINALLY! My sweet Lord this has been an ordeal. If the "fix" doesn't stick, I'll post back and let you know that I was premature in my celebration.

I hope that if anyone ever goes through this that a Google search will lead them here so that they can bypass all the madness I went through. If you've been with me to this point, I won't repost what got me here. I will tell you the solution. To recap a bit, every time and I do mean EVERY time that I changed the value from wert_00 to wert_01 to enable the DSP signal for the cd changer, it would rewrite it just fine and then reset it BACK to wert_00 disabling the DSP to the cd changer (or in this case, the Grom)

Feeling very annoyed, I contacted Grom today via e-mail and said that I am throwing in the towel and wanted to send it back. I hate giving up though so I took the laptop out there with my cable and NCS expert and tried some more things, looking through other modules, scanning for anything. Nothing to be found.

I went back into the RAD module, made the change AGAIN, saved it as the .MAN file, wrote it and to no one's surprise, it erased my changes and laughed at me for the 100th time. Feeling I had nothing to lose, I went into the FSW_PSW.TRC again and this time I DELETED the whole stupid line.

DSP_CDC_DIGITALLTG wert_00 was DELETED!

I wrote it back to the ecu, it gave no error codes. That was good. The radio was still streaming from where I wrote it moments before with the _01 enabled. I re-read the RAD module and guess what was there?

DSP_CDC_DIGITALLTG wert_01

It wrote it back itself, with the DSP enabled! No more fighting this stubborn ass code! The ECU saw it was missing and wrote the entire code in itself with the DSP enabled to the CD Changer!

I tricked the silly son of *****!!! LOL

Now, I will go see if it still works but I think it will. Normally about 2 minutes or less after the key was off, it would revert. I went out after 10 minutes a bit ago and it was still working!

Actually, I just went out again just to be sure before posting this (it's been 15 minutes longer) and it still works!

I guess nobody knew how to help as not a word was said! I suppose it was my battle to figure it out I guess. Crazy! Glad it's over!

Now that I have it behaving, I will clean it up and post some pics of the car tomorrow
    Last edited by RGZ4; 06-29-2019 at 06:45 PM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Could a moderator move this to the audio section? I posted in here originally as it was a tuning (coding) question but I think it would be better served in the audio section. Also, since audio is a "bav sound" sponsored forum, I didn't know if it was allowed, lol.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Still working! The Grom is a great piece of kit, if you're on the fence about getting I'd say it is well worth it!