Thread: 2003 BMW 325xi Key Initiation not working

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi

2003 BMW 325xi Key Initiation not working

I have taken the key fob apart and tested the battery. It is reading 3.2 so the battery is good.
    The doors lock and unlock with the button on the inside console.

Process:
    1. I get in and lock all the doors.
    2. I turn the key to position 1 5 times and then pull the key out and hold the unlock button while pressing the lock button 3 times.
    Sometimes I also try position 2. Turning to position 1 or 2 3 times has never worked on this car.
    3. I hear a clicking sound coming from the steering wheel/dash area so I know it is getting programmed and then my driver's door unlocks.
    4. I start the car to finish the process.
    5. I get out of the car, press the lock button on the remote and nothing happens. I press the unlock button to unlock the rest of the doors and nothing happens.
    Sometimes when it does work, it only lasts for a couple of days or weeks but never permanently.

What else could the problem be?
    Last edited by CynthiaK; 06-22-2019 at 12:49 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    My key issue is resolved.
    I bought an empty fob online, thinking maybe the points on the one I have were worn down.
    I put the new top on my fob and it worked instantly.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Glad you got it working, but I don't think that you have the process quite right ... I'm going from memory, but as I remember it, you don't have to lock the doors after getting in (although it may not matter if you do or don't lock them). You insert the key, turn it to Position 1 (just once), and then press and hold the Unlock button while turning the ignition off and removing the key. While continuing to hold the Unlock button, press the Lock button 3 times. The door locks should then cycle locked-unlocked (or maybe they cycle unlcoked-locked if you had previously locked them) and at that point you can initialize additional key(s) by holding the Unlock button and pressing the Lock button 3 times. You do not insert the additional key(s) into the ignition.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    Thank-you for the reply.
    I read that to do a complete initialization, do it 5 times, like a factory setting. I have not initialized the second key, only the main one.
    The key worked for 2 days and has quit working again. I will go try doing it once with the doors unlocked.
    Since the key fob did work for 2 days, could something else be wrong?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    Critter7r I just tried your suggestion and it did not work. When I do it only once, nothing happens, not even the clicking sound from the dash that is the initialization from the key to the system.
    The only time I have had the doors unlock/lock after I try the process is when the doors are locked before I begin, then the driver's door unlocks and the key fob works.
    The manual lock/unlock works with the key, the center console lock/unlock works.
    This is so frustrating, why would the key only work for 2 days and then stop?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    I went out and tried the initialization again but still nothing.
    I locked the doors using the console, opened the drivers door using the inside door handle, got out and locked the driver's door manually.
    I checked the gas tank door and it is not locked and the security system red flashing light is not working at all.
    I replaced the relays on the GM5 module 2 years ago and since the central locking system works on the console, I don't think this is a GM5 module issue but I may be wrong.
    When I replaced the relays, the center console did not work.
    I checked fuses 49 and 52. When I pulled fuse 49, the alarm went off. Is this normal because 52 was still plugged in?
    Is fuse 60 in the trunk above the battery?

Does this tell anyone something, I have no idea.
    Last edited by CynthiaK; 06-30-2019 at 12:36 PM.

My Cars
    2003 328i
    I have successfully initialized keys with this procedure:

https://blog.bavauto.com/4309/e39-5-...ing-procedure/

It is listed as the e39 procedure but I believe it is the same for the e46 and several other models.

The doors need to be closed, not locked. Locking the doors may very well interrupt the procedure.

Procedure also outlined here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...tion-Procedure

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    Thank-you for the reply.
    Turns out it was a bad Aerial Diversity Amplifier. I changed it out and voila, my key fobs work, my security lights are blinking when the car is locked
    and the fuel filler lid lock is now locking/unlocking.
    On a side note, I am not sure why but the only initialization of the keys that has ever worked is the way I described it in my above post, turning the key to position 1 5 times.
    From what I have read, doing it 5 times is a complete factory reset.
    Trying it by turning once or 3 times in the ignition has never worked in my car.
    Thanks again for all of the help!
    Last edited by CynthiaK; 07-03-2019 at 03:06 PM.