Thread: New convertible owner. 2 soft top questions

My Cars
    1999 328i Convertible

New convertible owner. 2 soft top questions

Hi everyone. I just got a 99 328ci m sport. 90k mikes. So far I love it. I got it with a few issues I’m working through, so far successfully. I’ve now moved onto the convertible top and would love some advice with 2 of the issues.
    1. Every time I move the ignition to position 2, the doors lock, and the top cover raises itself about a half inch and the light on the switch starts flashing to tell me the tonneau cover has lifted. . Also l, If the windows are up, they drop about half way down.

Why do these things happen and how do I stop them? I have completed a window resync by fully opening them and using the key to hold a door closed until the windows all fully closed and holding it for several more seconds. It didn’t help

2. When the (fully auto) top is up/ closed, it appears all to be correct. If I look from the drivers seat behind me , right at the front of the back of the car (if that makes sense) where the fabric top meets the tonneau cover (directly behind the rear windows) - I can see fresh air for 3 or 4 inches. . It’s like I’m missing some seals. But I don’t see anywhere they could fit so I do t think I am.. Any ideas?? Is the top too high? If I lower it, the existing seals might mate with the tonneau cover. I don’t appear to have a lot of adjustment there but it looks like I have a little. I can add some pics if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

My Cars
    1999 328i Convertible
    Should add - I have sync’ed the top in both directions as well - hold up button and keep holdings as well as do the same with down button.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    The position 2 ignition thing is bizarre. You can get the top to go up with windows by holding the key turned in the door lock but this should not happen in the ignition. What you're indicating sounds like a body control module issue.

As for the rear bow, There are vertical and horizontal adjustment shims but it sound like there are other issues happening as well. Can you post pics?

My Cars
    1999 328i Convertible
    Re: the rear bow. I “think” my seal is incomplete/ missing a couple of inches for whatever reason. I saw a pic of what it should look like on pelicanparts and mine looks different. So am thinking I need to replace mine. I’ll post some pics up later.
    Re: the body control module. - ok. That makes sense. Thank you!

My Cars
    1999 328i Convertible
    Here are some pics of one side of my convertible top. The other side looks identical. I think I’m missing a bit of seal on both sides.

http://imgur.com/xudxpRM
    http://imgur.com/RY30aor
    http://imgur.com/jLyHjWg
    http://imgur.com/RMyKvkf
    Last edited by craigharrison11; 06-25-2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Adding some urls.

My Cars
    1999 328i Convertible
    Hope these images post ok. So clearly I have a seal around the bottom rail. And I have a seal right at the ends of the bottom rail, but it looks like I’m missing a bit where those 2 should join. Does that sound right?