Thread: Second Opinion About an 2001 318i

My Cars
    N/A

Second Opinion About an 2001 318i

Hello everyone,

So I have been looking to buy my own first car and I decided that I wanted a used 3 series BMW car.

My dad used to be a BMW mechanic in the 80’s, he knows how to service BMW cars and has mechanic skills.

This 2001 BMW 318i on sale for 12000 shekels has almost 300000km on the odometer, but according to the seller it technically has 100000km because the engine was replaced three years ago. Unfortunately, he has no record or exact proof how many kilometers the replaced engine ran but he does have proof that the engine was replaced three years ago.

My dad did smell the motor oil (using the oil dipstick) and confirms that the motor oil isn’t mixed with gas. Plus no smoke coming out of exhaust, but the exhaust tip is all black (lots of unburnt fuel). Generally speaking, motor oil shouldn’t mix with gas unless the car has a long run and piston wear, which causes oil and gas to mix.

The seller also replaced the radiator and new brake discs. The car also recently passed DMV tests (Israel has strict emission limitations) and is good to go for another year.

We also did do a test drive and it runs smooth the air conditioning did take some time till it became cold, other than that it seemed to be in good shape.

The car has additional features such as lowered suspension, special rims (wider and thinner tires) and multimedia with reverse camera which is all nice but I don’t really care that much. What concerns me is this:

I asked for the owner to provide full history of the car ownership in past and it was owned by about 6 different owners (which is a bit a lot for 20 years). Anyhow, several years ago a guy bought a car from someone in 2011, then in 2016 he replaced the engine then a year later he sold it to someone else. Then another year later in December 2018 the car was sold again to the current owner and now seven months later, he chooses to sell it.

My question is, if the engine was replaced why would the car be sold twice to different person every year almost? Seems like a problem to me.

What do you guys think? Should I stay away from that car?

FYI, I’ve read this other thread (attached link below) which explained really well about college kids getting used BMWs and I’m aware of what I’m getting myself involved with. Frankly, It’s something I’ve always enjoyed doing in my entire life, fixing cars and feeling pride after being successful.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...chool-540-etc)

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoel View Post
    My dad used to be a BMW mechanic in the 80’s, he knows how to service BMW cars...
    A lot has changed since then.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    It is not clear if the engine was replaced with a new one or a second hand one. Either way, the rest of the car still has 186000 miles on it. Difficult to talk about value for money when I don't know your market.

You don't mention what dad thinks. But if your gut feeling is that there is something not right about the car, don't walk away. Run.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i
    Also

Pro tip: Don't let your dad service your car.

It might hurt his feelings but he'll hurt your car.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i
    And if the car is equipped with an N42 don't bother. It's a really bad engine. The one it replaced was far superior.