Thread: Camshaft installation Help ! 🤦🏾*♂️

My Cars
    2000 528i

Exclamation Camshaft installation Help ! 🤦🏾*♂️

Soo i seen every instal video , read every tutorial , I believe I understand what the Bentley tells you to do as well. Ive installed it three times and Every time theres this tension when I try to rotate it to see if it smoothly compresses the valves, its like the lobes are clipping the lifters.

Well anyway each time I used basically the same method of tightening two journal caps (the ones which the lines were applying pressure to the lifters) a quarter turn at a time trying to evenly set the cam but each time I failed.

Another note , a few of the nuts on for the journal caps were pulling the stud up out of the head
    they WOULD NOT reach torque. So I put two nuts on one thread and got them back down but my question is do they have to be a specific height? Or will they stop at some point as Im tightening them?

Sorry if its a bit confusing this is my first post and not really good at explaining in words without showing.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I think they do have to be a specific height...otherwise the cam is not perfectly level.

I have done this a couple of times and haven’t a pblm. Like you described, I position the cam so that one lobe (usually #2 or #3) is starting to touch a lifter and a second lobe ( #4 or #5) is just coming off another lifter. Then I tighten the 4 cap nuts 1/4 turn until torqued.

I am thinking your pblm is with the studs that pulled out of the head. I don’t see how 2 nuts would get you where you need to be. I think you need to fix the stud threads with a timesert. I believe this procedure is written on-line.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Thought I could put the stud back in. Pulling the head back out right now then back to machine shop ����*♂️