Thread: Battery acid spill in trunk cleanup

My Cars
    BMW 335i

Unhappy Battery acid spill in trunk cleanup

Hi, I’ve been thinking of all the possible solutions I could think of on how to clean this up, but nothing works. A few months ago I had hit a curb in my E92 335i and parked it in the garage until I had the time to fix it. Once I had the parts I decided to turn it on and wouldn’t start. I tried charging it, passing cables from my e90, everything and wouldn’t keep a charge. When I went to check on the battery itself I noticed right under the battery, on the outside, it was spilling and erupted. I guess when I hit the curb the battery lifted up and landed on the little metal thing where the foam is at and tore it a little. I took it out and cleaned it a little. I flushed it out with water, just to get it out then baking soda with vinegar. The baking soda with vinegar worked but that rust just keeps coming back and I’m worried it’ll continue and eventually eat through. What would be the best way to clean it up and prevent any further damage!? Please help🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    You need to paint the exposed metal surface.

My Cars
    You can buy a battery acid neutralizer at the auto parts store. Spray it on, clean it up, then paint any exposed metal.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician