Thread: S52 cranks but won't start

My Cars
    97 m3 sedan second one

S52 cranks but won't start

So I put a 803 maf on my s52 it ran was a little rough at first I drove it down the road it drove fine parked it went to start it a few mins later to park it better and it sounds like its trying to start but won't. I switched back to the stock maf and still does the same thing.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuginusername View Post
    So I put a 803 maf on my s52 it ran was a little rough at first I drove it down the road it drove fine parked it went to start it a few mins later to park it better and it sounds like its trying to start but won't. I switched back to the stock maf and still does the same thing.
    Should always start with the simplest items for troubleshooting. Is there plenty of gas in the car? Battery over 12v? Did you perhaps knock loose the 2 vacuum lines going into the bottom of the intake boot?

Try unplugging the MAF completely and starting it.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    97 m3 sedan second one
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Should always start with the simplest items for troubleshooting. Is there plenty of gas in the car? Battery over 12v? Did you perhaps knock loose the 2 vacuum lines going into the bottom of the intake boot?

Try unplugging the MAF completely and starting it.
    I have almost a full tank battery is fully charged and I checked the vaccum lines multiple times already and they are all connected. I didn't try unplugging the maf yet I'll try that in the morning.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuginusername View Post
    I have almost a full tank battery is fully charged and I checked the vacuum lines multiple times already and they are all connected. I didn't try unplugging the maf yet I'll try that in the morning.
    Do you have an M50 Manifold? Check the vacuum line connection that goes in the center of the manifold near the throttle body. Perhaps you knocked it loose.

Engines need: Fuel, compression, spark to fire. So check if you're getting fuel. Then check spark. pull a coil and spark plug out. Ground the threaded area of the spark plug, and see if it sparks. If you see spark, you can spray some starter fluid into the intake (remove the MAF for this) and see if it starts. If it does, then you likely have a fuel issue (pump, regulator, etc).
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    If the only thing you did was put on an 803 maf and then put the sock maf back on, just focus on that first. Do you have an OBD2 scanner? If you can't get a scanner, just do a battery reset, then try starting with stock maf.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    If the only thing you did was put on an 803 maf and then put the sock maf back on, just focus on that first. Do you have an OBD2 scanner? If you can't get a scanner, just do a battery reset, then try starting with stock maf.
    He already tried swapping back to stock.
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    He already tried swapping back to stock.
    I was not telling him to put the stock MAF back on.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    97 m3 sedan second one
    So the next morning I went out and it started first try so I'm not sure what the issue was