Thread: Is this 2012 M3 worth $37k???

My Cars
    2004 325ci

Is this 2012 M3 worth $37k???

Hey guys, I currently have a 2018 Mustang GT with the PP1, which I'm considering trading in for this:

https://www.carmax.com/car/17028927

$37k just seems a lot for a car that's 7ish years old. I plugged it into KBB and it's right on the mark for a car with low mileage (34k miles), though.

I would love to hear some opinions on it, and also: do you guys think that car is Jerez Black, or is it Jet Black? Hard to tell form the photos.

Thanks!
    Tom

My Cars
    I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near that amount. But if its close to KBB value, then maybe that's the market for those cars. That just seems ridiculously high for a E90/92/93 M3.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    Black
    I've been shopping for myself and looking at tons of cars. There are better deals out there but you found a decent car.

You need to get some tools in your bag to help you shop. You should check out one of the VIN research sites to find out the build. BMWVIN and MDecoder come to mind but there are a few others. The one you're looking at is Jerez Black, but the horrible gamma on the lights in their photo room makes it look like a dark version of the primer+clear that is the big trend now. Thats a shame because Jerez can be pretty dramatic under good light.

You picked a fairly unusual car, since this one is a "base" M3, yet it has a carbon fiber roof instead of a sunroof, which isn't that common. It also has wood trim instead of the common Carbon Structure leather trim. Its not a bad build at all.

The wheels look like OZ knockoffs, and the exhaust looks like it could be aftermarket. The miles are good for the year, and the interior looks almost new. I spotted one scuff on the driver's door map pocket and that's it. Its a very well kept up car. The only thing I find wrong are the wheels and that they're charging ZCP money for a base car. They may think they have a Competition pkg car because of the roof. Since it isn't ZCP that car should be about $32k. Point that out along with the crap wheels and see if they'll adjust the price. Or at least throw in one of their excellent warranties. Good luck on getting CarMax to budge on the price.

Keep searching, keep researching, keep asking questions here and elsewhere. There's lots of help and info for you.