Thread: Couple of shifter questions

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)

Couple of shifter questions

I'm attempting to replace my shifter's bushings and other related parts ('91 525 w/ZF trans); I got a really cheap e46 (I think) lever in good shape, but upon comparison with the old one, it seems like the latter might have a shorter throw, as the part under the ball is slightly longer...

shifters (1).jpg shifters (2).jpg

Do you think the difference would be noticeable?

Question #2:
    The insulation under the shifter surround does NOT look like the ones I've seen before

shifter insulation (1).jpg shifter insulation (2).jpg
    I'm not talking about the thin black insulation material but the foam part; the ones I've seen go the whole width of the surround, and it looks like mine came like this from the factory... Should it be like that, or am I missing another piece? Also, somebody knows the OE number for it? It's not shown on realoem, oddly enough.

And finally, do I really, really need to remove the driveshaft in order to remove the shifter's rear carrier??? Is there a way around it?

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Looks like a very small change as far as the shifter, I wouldn’t worry about it changing the throw dramatically. Don’t know what the difference with the insulation is, looks similar to mine.

You should be able to get to the shift carrier with only removing the driveshaft from the rear of the transmission, and letting it hang down. Been a bit since I did the job though, could be wrong.
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I would expect a minor reduction in shifter throw and corresponding increase in effort. What E46? IIRC most had the same ZF box as yours.

The difference in throw and effort is directly proportional to the ratio of the distance between the ball and the lower eye on one shifter, to the same distance on the other. So if your old one measures 30mm from the center of the ball to the center of the eye, and the new 40mm, you'll get (40-30)/30 = 33% increase in effort and decrease in throw.

I can't find that foam either. Can you look extra-hard for a part number? The ones I've seen have the foam cut away to clear the rear facevent duct, with a flap of vinyl laid over the cut section. Yours does look to have an extra diagonal mystery cut. I've never seen another piece that goes in there, so I don't think you're missing anything.

Replacing your shift carrier rear mount? Care to mail me your old one? You should be able to unbolt just the heat shields and slide them around the exhaust, then it'll be difficult but possible to reach the mount nut. I adjusted center bearings this way before, without having to drop the exhaust.
    Last edited by moroza; 06-20-2019 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Thanks for the replies; I got the new lever for cheap, and I thought if the throw were to be longer, I'd keep the original one... sadly, the plastic insert on the old one is FUBAR, and also the one in the rod joint, so seems like the project is gonna drag for a couple of weeks while I wait for parts, as it usually happens... Well, at least I'll have enough time to play with the b*tch clip... (rant over).

And speaking of those plastic inserts... Does someone offer an upgrade? I've never seen one for those, kinda makes me wanna try to install generic brass bushings on them, assuming I can find the right size. Somebody ever tried something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    What E46? IIRC most had the same ZF box as yours.
    I really don't know, that's what the seller said, maybe he was mistaken

Regarding, the foam: yes, you're right; I think the ones I've seen were on ebay.de and ebay.co.uk, maybe they were for cars without the rear vents. I didn't even think of that since I've deleted that vent, but the space for the duct is obvious, now that you mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Replacing your shift carrier rear mount? Care to mail me your old one? You should be able to unbolt just the heat shields and slide them around the exhaust, then it'll be difficult but possible to reach the mount nut. I adjusted center bearings this way before, without having to drop the exhaust.
    Assuming I can remove that SOB, yeah, I can send it to you, also assuming you'd want it , it's really, really rusty... I can send you a pic afterwards.
    Last edited by The Chauffeur; 06-20-2019 at 06:01 PM.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Another question: Does it matter which side to install the selector rod? Bentley doesn't say, and all info I've found on the internet says to install it towards the driver side; mine was installed towards the passenger side... (felt "normal", btw)

Also, moroza: sorry, man, I won't be able to send you the rear carrier bracket, as it didn't survive in one piece... from what I've gathered so far, the PO's indie might be severely allergic to antiseize compound...

IMG_2718.jpg