Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Try to reach out to Abel, his handle here is 328 Power 04. If you have the right connections, he can remote in and do it for you.

What are the differences between the bell housing? I have been thinking about pulling the 5-speed out of the wagon and dropping in a 6-speed, and the only cheap ones are the SMG transmission in my area.
    Last edited by dworthy; 04-16-2020 at 05:08 AM.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Aston Martin, E46 M3, X5
    The SMG and manual gearboxes are basically the same except one is automated. The SMG bell housing does not have the Detents for gear selection. You can either put the Detents in yourself (if you're a great fabricator) or send the SMG bell housing away from fabrication (Lang racing do this), or swap the bell hosing for one from a manual gearbox (which s what I did). I don't think the 5 speed bell housing fits on the SMG box, but you could send the bel housing out for fabrication or do it yourself.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yeah, I wasn't sure as I haven't put my eyes on them directly so had to ask.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    '05 ///M3
    Yep, same exact gearbox sans few sensors and detents in bellhousing. Some guys who trash their 6sp manual synchros on track/etc, get smg boxes, swap the bellhousing and off they go. SMG theoretically shifts smoother since it is more precise and done via a computer/actuator, vs manual where a driver is slamming it into gears (these transmissions don't like to be slammed/muscled into gears), so SMG synchros should be in better shape. That said, I've seen some with blown 4th synchro. Not sure what causes it.

Also, some people who have self centering and gated shifters (RTD, etc), get an SMG box and dont even swap the bellhousings, since the point of the detents in the bellhousing on a manual is to center and spring load the gates.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mrgizmo04; 04-18-2020 at 01:53 AM.

My Cars
    Aston Martin, E46 M3, X5
    interior - 1.jpg engine - 1.jpg

The car is finished and purring like a lion. I used Martyn at Ecuworxs to do the coding remotely. After the coding the car was still running rough but I found the culprit, a dodgy coilpack. It's nice to be back with the S54. The last one I had was 4 years ago (Z4 MC). I did not do the Vanos in the end and as luck has it, it seems to be in good working order for now. That'll be a task for maybe next year.
    Last edited by dalecan; 05-23-2020 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    02 BMW M3, 08 BMW 328i
    Hey man - definitely some good info for me to reference in here as I'm going through my rebuild. What all did you do to the engine? Any tips -
    IG: downinthebm_

My Cars
    Aston Martin, E46 M3, X5
    Flemm2,
    With the engine out and on an engine stand I did the valve adjustment, replaced the con rod bearings, changed the constant pressure valve o ring (put in an upgraded teflon o ring), chain tensioner o ring, rear mean seal and pilot bearing (spigot bearing), cleaned the idle control valve, put on catless headers, new engine mounts, new belts, replaced the coolant and heater hoses, new fuel filter (as I had to disconnect it anyway). I also replaced the oil cooler and pipes and radiator (it just made sense at the car had over 100k on the clock). If I took something off that had a gasket I got new ones. I think that was it. I looked at my plastic chain tensioner but it looked good to me so I didn't bother with that, I didn't do the Vanos either (and thankfully it's OK). I was lucky as I wasn't in a rush so I took my time. Get yourself a good torque wrench if you do the con rod bearings as mine are position torqued not just torqued to a value. These parts aren't cheap! I spent more than I wanted but it's worth it. Let me know if you want any pics as I have a ton. I didn't have any help and removed and replaced the engine all on my own. It was a lot easier to pull than I thought with the front clip removed. Just make sure you label everything as you're disassembling. Good luck.

Clean ICV

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Good read! I love swap cars, as I’ve got one myself. And man $700 what a steal! What color is teh car? Im curious how your cousin blew the motor though, that hole is insane! Good work so far, Ill Be doing the con rod bearings here next week. Still have to adjust valves, Vanos, and reinforce the rear as well, as well as some other small maintenance.

Also just to add context, I believe the. Only sensor the SMG bellhousing is missing from the manual one, is the Gear recognition switch. You technically dont have to run it, but your reverse lights, / back up sensors / autoptilt mirror wont work, although I have read of people being able to “code around” not having the sensor, and still getting all the functions to work.

Cheers!

My Cars
    Aston Martin, E46 M3, X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    Good read! I love swap cars, as I’ve got one myself. And man $700 what a steal! What color is teh car? Im curious how your cousin blew the motor though, that hole is insane! Good work so far, Ill Be doing the con rod bearings here next week. Still have to adjust valves, Vanos, and reinforce the rear as well, as well as some other small maintenance.

Also just to add context, I believe the. Only sensor the SMG bellhousing is missing from the manual one, is the Gear recognition switch. You technically dont have to run it, but your reverse lights, / back up sensors / autoptilt mirror wont work, although I have read of people being able to “code around” not having the sensor, and still getting all the functions to work.

Cheers!
    Thanks ThriftyS50.
    I installed the gear position sensor on the gearbox but I still have to wire up the cruise control. The car is running sweet, even had a couple of track days in her. Good luck with the rest of your work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12