Thread: Help with Updating DSC using Winkfp

My Cars
    2009 BMW 528 xi

Question Help with Updating DSC using Winkfp

Hello all,

long story short, I tried to update the dsc module on my 2009 528 xi using Winkfp and now the module does not work and the car is throwing all types of malfunction warnings. I have searched around for multiple hours trying to find a solution but cannot and so I figured I would ask for help here.

The long version:
    I was wanting to update the software on my car since none of the modules had been updated since the car rolled off the production line in 2008. I read that updating the transmission created a smoother ride and figured I would just update them all while I was at it. I bought a K+Dcan cable and I downloaded the standard tools and e60 daten files from Bimmergeeks and installed them on my computer. I got them to run fine and used the coding tool to update the daten files for winkfp without a problem. I then used inpa to get all of the module's zb numbers as well as their SGBD's which can be seen in the pictures below.

To update the ecu, I opened winkfp, and clicked f1 for comfort mode. I then clicked f1 to identify ecu family. I would then type in the zb number. Some of the numbers I entered would not return an ecu family but instead an error saying it could not be found. I am new to coding didn't know enough and assumed that meant there was no update for it (which my gut told me was wrong but I did not want to brick my car and opted not to dig further). When the number did return an ecu family, I would hit cancel, then click f3 for update ecu and select the family that was returned. I then clicked done which brought me back to the first menu where I then hit the program button and let the module update.

This seemed to work fine for the first couple updates. I had read that I was supposed to enter the VIN in there before updating, but the button was not there (which I later figured out was due to my "write UIF" boxes not being checked in configuration), and I saw it being listed at the top of the screen so I thought that it would automatically transfer the vin. Since the first couple updates didn't seem to break anything I didn't think much of it.

The whole time, I would also match up the returned ecu family with the SGBD codes listed to see if they were the same. When I got to the DSC module, winkfp returned the ecu family as EHBX60 while the SGBD code was DSC_60PP. I continued the update the same way I had been anyway. The update got all the way to 100% but instead of saying succeeded, it threw a 2080 error shown below:

immediately following all of the cars malfunction lights for DSC, ABS, etc. came on. I looked in inpa and when trying to connect directly to the module, it could not connect. When going back to the vehicle identification menu the lines looked the same and next to DSC it said okay. However, in the VIF menu, there were asterisks in the part number column and blank space in columns for the group and SGBD. Pictures below are from after trying to flash the ecu a couple times trying to rectify the situation.

That is currently where I am at and would appreciate any help with this and direction on how to fix it. Could the issue be that I uploaded the wrong update because the SGBD did not match the ecu family? Could it be that I did not write the VIN number when updating? During subsequent attempt to reflash I noticed that the VIN number section in winkfp was blank.

And other things for future notice, should I be matching the zb number for an update or just the ecu family? meaning that if the zb number returns an ecu family that does not match the SGBD, then the ecu family returned is wrong? and on a similar note if I ignore the zb number and only match the ecu family to the SGBD number, then when I am prompted to begin the update, if the zb numbers do not match, does that mean an update is available (on the other hand if the zb numbers match, there is NO update)? And when I do input the VIN number, I put the full vin and not just the last seven digits that show in the vehicle identification, correct?

Sorry If I am beating a dead horse, I tried searching all over multiple forums, including this one, for multiple hours and haven't been able to come up with a solution. Like I said I am new to coding on BMW and I have read a lot of conflicting information. I think I will be good if I can just get it all straight.

Thanks in Advance,
    Bryant
    Last edited by bbackus; 06-18-2019 at 08:35 PM.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 528 xi
    FIXED!!!

Since initially posting I have played around with different ECU families as well as wrote in the VIN number and it did the trick. The update when through and all the malfunction errors went away.

If someone could still answer the questions I had moving forward that way I don't make any more mistakes updating the rest, that would be amazing.

should I be matching the zb number for an update or just the ecu family? meaning that if the zb number returns an ecu family that does not match the SGBD, then the ecu family returned is wrong? and on a similar note if I ignore the zb number and only match the ecu family to the SGBD number, then when I am prompted to begin the update, if the zb numbers do not match, does that mean an update is available (on the other hand if the zb numbers match, there is NO update)?
    Essentially, when I press the update ECU button in win kfp, the ecu family that I choose, should that ecu family perfectly match the SGBD code that INPA showed me? OR, does it not matter if the two match as long as the ecu family that is chosen matches up to the ZB number of the module?

And one additional question, if the zb number lookup doesn't return anything, does that mean there is no update? or is there something I can do? (I have been confused by other answers to this)

Then the extra question was can the ZB number change? I know this may have been worded terribly and is confusing, but any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by bbackus; 06-18-2019 at 10:32 PM.

My Cars
    E60 M5
    Came across the same problem, I know it's an old thread but it's worth updating for those that experience the same issue

The module is updated fine, there are few more steps to do, mainly default code the module using ncs and then perform calibration tests using ISTAD, you can do the vehicle test and then display fault memory followed by the test plan, somewhere on the huge list of errors there will be the DSC, follow the process and allow the car to pump the motor... It will one by one clear the errors of your iDrive if you have up the control messages page on display