Thread: 95 E34 540i Seats, steering wheel & review mirrors not working..

My Cars
    1995,bmw,540i,4door

Question 95 E34 540i Seats, steering wheel & review mirrors not working..

Posted once before a couple years ago and no one responded.. just updating this to see if anyone might know. I have since fixed the transmission and gotten rid of trans program by servicing and changing fluid and filter so im good with that.. but i still have yet to figure out how to fix this seat and steering wheel and mirror problem. i cannot adjust anything and its frustrating and unbarable to drive my car and actually hurts my back a lot since the seat is twisted on top of not being able to adjust it..

it is not the switch on side of seat as i do not think my model is like the newer model bmw's with the side switch coming loose or braking.. i dont know if it is a fuse because i actually replaced a lot of fuses maybe 6 years ago and it never solved the problem.. the car had been sitting eversince until last week when i fixed the transmission..

if there is a specific fuse anywhere or something please let me know and tell me what to do with instructions so i can fix this once and for all.. or ill have to just take it to the stealer of which i can barely even think about affording.. thanks

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Do you have SMM? Then first of all check the module under the driver seat, if all the plugs are installed. 13 pages SMM training manual for download http://www.e38.org/e32/BMW_pdfs/smm.pdf
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1995,bmw,540i,4door
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Do you have SMM? Then first of all check the module under the driver seat, if all the plugs are installed. 13 pages SMM training manual for download http://www.e38.org/e32/BMW_pdfs/smm.pdf
    "Shogun" ok I will check and see, and yes i have SMM could it be that the memory thing is no good i was thinking of just replacing all the switches in the car soon anyways since they are not that expensive. i wont be able to check until next week so once i do i will let you know if that is what it is if any wires and plugs were loos underneath the seat.. thanks for the reply and the manual downlaod..

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    I have manufactured a similar problem myself. I have ditched my e34 Sport seats in favor of e46 Sport seats and just wired them up for power only. Ironically, the memory function works fine with just 12v power to the e46 seats. I was blown away by that.

However, I lost mirror adjustment and reverse mirror dip function. This is a new development because I had e46 comfort seats in the car for months and the mirrors worked just fine. Mirror dip didn't work and I figured that was because of not having the proper seat module in there. The fuses check out so I am beginning the diagnosis right now. Thanks for the PDF link Shogun. I will see if I can make some sense of it.

My Cars
    1995,bmw,540i,4door
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
    I have manufactured a similar problem myself. I have ditched my e34 Sport seats in favor of e46 Sport seats and just wired them up for power only. Ironically, the memory function works fine with just 12v power to the e46 seats. I was blown away by that.

However, I lost mirror adjustment and reverse mirror dip function. This is a new development because I had e46 comfort seats in the car for months and the mirrors worked just fine. Mirror dip didn't work and I figured that was because of not having the proper seat module in there. The fuses check out so I am beginning the diagnosis right now. Thanks for the PDF link Shogun. I will see if I can make some sense of it.
    Hello MarshalNoise, Indeed i have not figured it out just yet i have been busy and the car is sitting in my sister garage with a flat tire as of now. Im finishing up university so a bit busy these days.. But i intend on getting up and about soon.. If you figure anything out please post it so we can all benefit. thank you.. Ill make sure to do the same as well.. but im gonna take mines to a german mechanic in houston texas to get it resolved since i know jack sqaut about the electronics.. and i want it fixed before i get any body work and new enterior done to it..